[MOD WARNING POST #598] Should Dave Tippett Be Fired Before Next Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think this is a good time for people to take a firm stance.

My question for guys like Jake, Bonsai, and Cobra is how disappointed they would be if Tippett was fired. Would you believe that the team made a terrible mistake? Would you be critical of the team in this scenario and continue to defend Tippett after he was fired? Or would you simply trust the decision and be happy with it?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The only rational choice is to have Tippett fired. Hopefully the Kings fire Sutter so Tippett can head to LA.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Depends who you replace him with. Hard to say whether it's good or bad in a vacuum.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I don't know anymore... the team "turned it around" after he started playing the young skilled players. At this time, it seems he knows the future is through them, something he didn't show at the start. So I find myself questioning whether I should hold his past against him or give him credit for finally waking the **** up. Then again, it took him more than half the season to wake up. And I cannot look past the fact he is doing his best to kill Duke's career. He should have been with Domi from the start both for the team's benefit and the players'. As well as sending DVO down after he was one of our most effective players (what was he thinking?). Only to call him back up after injuries. Even Nash, the biggest homer out there, questioned why he was ever sent down.

If he's replaced, who is to say the next guy views DVO as a top-six center (he is) or Perlini as a top-six winger (he will be next year), etc. I won't be as furious this coming season if he is still around compared to last year. But I also won't fret much if he is fired.

We have a lot of good pieces and many of those pieces showed they are worth believing in. We are at a very important time in our 37 year rebuild. I just don't want to **** that up.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Tippet has no skin having the coach +1 role. I don't want him helping make player acquisition decisions etc due to his history of constantly vouching for his guys and players that either do not belong in the NHL or burn us (Ribearo, Moss, Chip, etc).

Add to that the fact that he cant do his primary coaching job correctly, and has the longest outstanding "no playoffs and maintain a job" streak of any coach in NA pro sports by far.

He's about to ruin another top draft pick odd by scraping wins only when it hurts us.

I'd fire him without hesitation.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Strong overall development of youth. Chychrun, Dvorak, Martinook, Reider, Crouse, etc.

Disliked the early decision to play Duclair on a different line from Domi. Thought that was an error that cascaded to a lost season.

Overall I think the team progressed well this year. I like the way things are heading.

rt

May 13, 2004
Strong overall development of youth. Chychrun, Dvorak, Martinook, Reider, Crouse, etc.

Disliked the early decision to play Duclair on a different line from Domi. Thought that was an error that cascaded to a lost season.

Overall I think the team progressed well this year. I like the way things are heading.

Because of or in spite of? That's the question, I think.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

My question for guys like Jake, Bonsai, and Cobra is how disappointed they would be if Tippett was fired. Would you believe that the team made a terrible mistake? Would you be critical of the team in this scenario and continue to defend Tippett after he was fired? Or would you simply trust the decision and be happy with it?

I have no idea why you started this thread, as the DT haters post every day they want DT fired. But I will be a good soldier and explain my view. I believe DT should not be fired, in fact no coach should not be fired two years into a rebuild, but most of the DT haters go back 5 yrs. and keep complaining, when we all know, or some of us do, that the circumstances were beyond DT and DM's hands. This year I expected the team to be around 80 pts. so they under achieved a little if you compare the points to last year, but last year we lucked out with all those wins against Edmonton. Next year I expect the team to miss the playoffs but they should make it interesting. IF the team is not showing improvement by mid season, I would make a coaching change, but I believe we will see a much improved team. Bottom line, I really don't care who the ownership, GM or coach is, I just want the team here for all of us to enjoy, and I will support them is good AND bad times.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think there is any reasonable expectation of a worse option. I'd rank him 30th out of 30 of current NHL head coaches in terms of "fit" for this club.

rt that is just ignorant to say that. IF you really believe this, you better start to look at the other coaches in depth like you do some players. This just shows your hate for DT goes beyond reality. It's like me saying DT is the best coach in the league, which he is not, but he is closer to the best than he is the worst.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We have not had a 90 pt season since 2011-2012. We are in our third first year of a rebuild that the head coach has publicly said he has no patience for. The coach has zero history of successfully developing young talent.
Extend him immediately.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
rt that is just ignorant to say that. IF you really believe this, you better start to look at the other coaches in depth like you do some players. This just shows your hate for DT goes beyond reality.
The difference between Tippett and the next worse coach for this club is the next worse guy hasn't already proven he's a failure here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have not had a 90 pt season since 2011-2012. We are in our third first year of a rebuild that the head coach has publicly said he has no patience for. The coach has zero history of successfully developing young talent.
Extend him immediately.

Like I said, same posters same posts.:shakehead

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

All the good things are in spite of Dave Tippett. All the bad things are because of him.

May not be true, but it sure is easy to remember.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Expectations weren't a playoff spot and they won't be for next year either (although the team needs to at least be in the mix). This was a development year and based on what we have seen in youth development overall Tippett gets a passing grade. It might not be a popular narrative among those who have already written Tippett off but for a guy who reportedly can't develop youth I think he proved those critics wrong.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Tippet has no skin having the coach +1 role. I don't want him helping make player acquisition decisions etc due to his history of constantly vouching for his guys and players that either do not belong in the NHL or burn us (Ribearo, Moss, Chip, etc).

Add to that the fact that he cant do his primary coaching job correctly, and has the longest outstanding "no playoffs and maintain a job" streak of any coach in NA pro sports by far.

He's about to ruin another top draft pick odd by scraping wins only when it hurts us.

I'd fire him without hesitation.

Indeed.

I have no idea why you started this thread, as the DT haters post every day they want DT fired. But I will be a good soldier and explain my view. I believe DT should not be fired, in fact no coach should not be fired two years into a rebuild, but most of the DT haters go back 5 yrs. and keep complaining, when we all know, or some of us do, that the circumstances were beyond DT and DM's hands. This year I expected the team to be around 80 pts. so they under achieved a little if you compare the points to last year, but last year we lucked out with all those wins against Edmonton. Next year I expect the team to miss the playoffs but they should make it interesting. IF the team is not showing improvement by mid season, I would make a coaching change, but I believe we will see a much improved team. Bottom line, I really don't care who the ownership, GM or coach is, I just want the team here for all of us to enjoy, and I will support them is good AND bad times.

hqdefault.jpg

:rolleyes:

Nothing in this post is accurate.

Extend him immediately.

Of course. Tippett wasn't brought here to rebuild but instead to get into and win the playoffs. Only stupid owners give a losing coach an extension.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Expectations weren't a playoff spot and they won't be for next year either (although the team needs to at least be in the mix). This was a development year and based on what we have seen in youth development overall Tippett gets a passing grade. It might not be a popular narrative among those who have already written Tippett off but for a guy who reportedly can't develop youth I think he proved those critics wrong.

Thank you. It's nice to get a post from some one who actually has great knowledge and understanding of the game, and knows what and where to look in a rebuild.:handclap:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Indeed.

hqdefault.jpg

:rolleyes:

Nothing in this post is accurate.

Of course. Tippett wasn't brought here to rebuild but instead to get into and win the playoffs. Only stupid owners give a losing coach an extension.

Another well thought out post.:sarcasm:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Like I said, same posters same posts.:shakehead

Are any of those facts in dispute or are you just going to fake news your way through the thread mocking everyone who dares disagree with you?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

My firm stance is no. This gong show is not Tippett's fault. He has done his job, sacrificing a year to season a roster which at times has been over 25% rookies. The team is poised to be much better next year.

I would be disappointed, but not heartbroken if Tippett is fired. It would be due to ownership change/new management rather than performance. I honestly don't think that Toe Blake could have done much better given the roster and circumstances. Anybody want a list of things that went South this year that wasn't Tip's fault?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
My firm stance is no. This gong show is not Tippett's fault. He has done his job, sacrificing a year to season a roster which at times has been over 25% rookies. The team is poised to be much better next year.

I would be disappointed, but not heartbroken if Tippett is fired. It would be due to ownership change/new management rather than performance. I honestly don't think that Toe Blake could have done much better given the roster and circumstances. Anybody want a list of things that went South this year that wasn't Tip's fault?

Tippett's job is to be able to turn **** into gold. His shelf-life with the team is long gone.

rt

May 13, 2004

So let's say Tippett is fired on Monday. How will you react?

rt

May 13, 2004

Same question as above. Walk me through your reaction if he's canned on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad