[MOD] Pavelec done for the year?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maurice may have had his eyes opened with the WC scouting reports on goalies?

At TC both before and after Maurice arrived, the best goalie day in and day out was Eric Comrie

Jerts

Mar 5, 2015
Winnipeg
Perfect end to Pavelec era!

We possibly could have gotten a pick for him but now he's actually costing us resources/money.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
So, maybe the Jets make the playoffs with Pavelec being the back-up this yesr instead of Hutch. :)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
1. What happened between Maurice and Pavelec around training camp?

One can only speculate. My guess has something to do with Pavelec being less willing to accept more of a backup role this year, but that's strictly a guess.

2. Why did Lawless cover it up until the time came that Pavelec was not coming back and it was time to throw him under the bus?

Interesting you took it this way, I took it as Lawless expanding on Maurice's comments from that day and that Lawless and the rest of the media didn't know for sure who was the main guy behind Pavelec being sent down.

3. What happened on Friday morning? Prior to that all signs pointed to Pavelec starting the game later that day, Pavelec said to the media he was ready to go and it was coach's decision, the coach said that Pavelec would start, he apparently passed the on-ice part of his evaluation but now suddenly he needs go in for a season ending surgery (the story around which has changed a few times).

He might have been fine in the morning skate but hurt something during the off-ice workouts. They do training out of sight of the media as well. Myers was skating fine for a few days before needing surgery again - it's not like this is the first time it's happened even this season.

4. After the trade deadline, in his interview Chevy said that Pavelec will a part of the process for the rest of the season. If there was even a chance that his injury really required surgery and was potentially season ending why would Chevy say that? It seems the entire organisation expected PAvs to come back in a few days. So what really happened to derail that? At what point did things change and why?

Again, I'd say that he aggravated something after the morning skate on Friday, and that a doctor recommended surgery at that point to fix it.

5. Does this issue have any connection to the apparent situation between Maurice and Pavelec at training camp?

I really doubt it.

Clearly Lawless knows more than he's letting on.

I took it as the opposite. I think it's interesting, though, how different people can see the same situation based on how they view the organization in question. I don't see this as some sort of struggle between Maurice, Chevy, and Pavelec, but more of an injury that seemed on the mend, but was suddenly aggravated and surgery was needed. I also don't think Lawless had any idea of this sort of behind the scenes stuff involving coaches' decisions - we can't in one breath say Lawless is some blowhard that just spouts off on the radio without knowing anything, and then in the next say he's hiding some sort of coverup internal battle between a coach and a goalie on the final weeks of his contract with the team.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
They kept showing Pavelec in the stands the last game (vs Colorado) after every time Helle made a save and it almost seemed like PAV was rolling his eyes or less than pleased with what he was seeing.

I see this being similar to the Kane shower incident tho, has no future so they basically mutually agree to let him have his surgery and end his season and basically his time with the Jets. I actually don't even care to be honest about what the actual reasoning is, I just think it's obvious that it's pretty much a mutual parting of ways here for sure. Maybe this is the Jets 1 last nice gesture to PAV that instead of waiting until the off-season when the Jets aren't on the hook for whatever rehab is needed, they just say yano what? Go have your surgery now and basically BUGGER OFF.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Perfect end to Pavelec era!

We possibly could have gotten a pick for him but now he's actually costing us resources/money.

Yep, Pavelec getting his last bit of $ out of the Jets org before he leaves. I liken this situation to Kane's sudden decision to get season-ending surgery. Not sure if I'm buying the conspiracy stuff yet, but Pavs has always just thought of himself so this is just more of the same.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yep, Pavelec getting his last bit of $ out of the Jets org before he leaves. I liken this situation to Kane's sudden decision to get season-ending surgery. Not sure if I'm buying the conspiracy stuff yet, but Pavs has always just thought of himself so this is just more of the same.

Pretty much this. Theres a history there with PAV and being in it for himself and just himself, he refused to go the A at one point with the Thrashers. People can say he's been a good pro this year, but perhaps thats just window dressing really, perhaps he wasn't a good pro, i find it hard to believe that a guy who pouts on the bench is a good pro.. i just don't see it.

Whatever the case may be, it's really none of our business and for the most part, i don't think people even really care all that much about the actual reasoning.

Perhaps Maurice realized Pavelec just wasn't that good of a goalie.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Weird way to end to the saga of Ondrej the Giant and the Winnipeg Jets.

Is he good enough to be a KHL goalie?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How can anyone possibly not think there's a ton of fish smell in this story?? It stinks like a red lobster dumpster! lol. Pav says in an interview last week that he's 100% and ready to play lots of games. He looks to be slated in as backup at least. Then the next day Mo announces he "didn't pass the off ice test" and he's not even dressed? Now a couple days later, it's announced that Pav has pulled himself out as he "doesn't want to risk it." C'mon mang! Stinks to high heaven...

Stinks of what? They are trying to cover up that they don't want him? That he doesn't want them? What?

Much ado about nothing. Who cares? It is Pavelec. He is done here. What's the problem?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty much this. Theres a history there with PAV and being in it for himself and just himself, he refused to go the A at one point with the Thrashers. People can say he's been a good pro this year, but perhaps thats just window dressing really, perhaps he wasn't a good pro, i find it hard to believe that a guy who pouts on the bench is a good pro.. i just don't see it.

Whatever the case may be, it's really none of our business and for the most part, i don't think people even really care all that much about the actual reasoning.

He reportedly refused to go the AHL for a conditioning stint last season when he was coming back from that injury.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
He reportedly refused to go the AHL for a conditioning stint last season when he was coming back from that injury.

Yup and i know it's years ago but he also refused to tell them about the DUI he had while negotiating that contract a few years ago, there is a lot of red flags with Pavelec and maybe the Jets just said enough is enough.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Stinks of what? They are trying to cover up that they don't want him? That he doesn't want them? What?

Much ado about nothing. Who cares? It is Pavelec. He is done here. What's the problem?

My personal theory is that Hutch snapped when he found out he was losing his prime viewing seat at the end of the bench and went all Tonya Harding on Pav's knee in the dressing room. The Jets of course have closed ranks to try and keep this quiet. Hutch will be dealt with internally. At the very least, a two game ban from the press box buffet. ;)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Most logical theory would be the Jets told him he isn't in their future plans and he decided to basically take his ball and go home (or get a "scope" done instead) but essentially, he decided to end his time as a Jet like that.

Probably told him, listen Ondrej, tanks for your time here but we have made the decision to move on, listen, we aren't making the playoffs so we are gonna run Connor the rest of the way to give him the reps to see what he's got, we gave you 6 years, we could at least give connor 1... LOL.

Pavelec probably didn't like that and said, ok well, i'm gonna get my knee fixed so i can sign in the beer leagues July 1st.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

no problem really. Not sure why some are so bothered by the notion that the full truth isn't being told. All I'm saying (and I don't think it's any big "conspiracy theory") is that the story we're being given isn't the whole truth of the situation. There's something more going on than just an injury. I think all they are trying to "cover up" is that things are not cozy and rosy between Pav and the Org...and that it probably hasn't been for some time. I'm not even saying that I would expect them to give the true story. I'm really just responding to a few people here who seem to be taking it all at face value.

Ralph just did a good job on the Roundtable laying out the "fishiness" in a clear, concise manner. And yes...it's fishy.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yup and i know it's years ago but he also refused to tell them about the DUI he had while negotiating that contract a few years ago, there is a lot of red flags with Pavelec and maybe the Jets just said enough is enough.

The speculation that he refused a conditioning stint makes sense.
Time to turn the page on Pavs.
I think he gets a back up assignment next season in the eastern conference just not sure who at this point.
Hope he recovers fully and does well.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Which, if true, is seriously sad at this point in time and even more reflective of our feet dragging by management. I mean, Pavelec is basically a month away from the end of his contract, and NOW the Jets have said enough is enough... instead of anytime over the last 5 seasons when it was so obvious he was not an NHL capable goalie and was dragging the team into the abyss. Really?

I hope this isn't the case because it just pours more ineptitude towards the people running the show.

JMO, but I believe this is something that has been nagging Pavelec for a while, surgery was always an option, but Pavelec refused because he didn't want to give up a chance at playing in the NHL again, and it wasn't stopping him from playing. But now the team went to him and basically said he's done as a Jet, but they will cover his surgery for the last month of his contract, so have the operation now or you are on your own after your contract ends.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

And sometimes, it is what it is...

eye-roll-in-motion-3.gif

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My personal theory is that Hutch snapped when he found out he was losing his prime viewing seat at the end of the bench and went all Tonya Harding on Pav's knee in the dressing room. The Jets of course have closed ranks to try and keep this quiet. Hutch will be dealt with internally. At the very least, a two game ban from the press box buffet. ;)

Makes as much sense as anything else. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
no problem really. Not sure why some are so bothered by the notion that the full truth isn't being told. All I'm saying (and I don't think it's any big "conspiracy theory") is that the story we're being given isn't the whole truth of the situation. There's something more going on than just an injury. I think all they are trying to "cover up" is that things are not cozy and rosy between Pav and the Org...and that it probably hasn't been for some time. I'm not even saying that I would expect them to give the true story. I'm really just responding to a few people here who seem to be taking it all at face value.

Ralph just did a good job on the Roundtable laying out the "fishiness" in a clear, concise manner. And yes...it's fishy.

Fair enough. I questioned your post before reading more of the speculation. Maybe it is a little fishy.

The only thing I care about re Pav is that he never plays for the Jets again. Nothing vindictive either. I wish him well in the KHL.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

My comments re: the suspicions is mainly about bending over backwards to apply blame or ulterior motives to coaching/mgmt/media that they don't like, instead of a simpler, more logical explanation.

The only "fishiness" here is that he was on track to return and then needs surgery. I believe it's more that something was agitated after the skate, than Maurice trying to shut him down for the year. It seems more likely to me than an internal power play against a goalie with an expiring contract.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Didn't care for Pavelec's play at all.
But...
Chevy signed him to a dumb contract.
Chevy or coach Noel or Maurice both miscast Pavelec as a starter which clearly he wasn't.
There is zero indication that Pavelec had a poor attitude.
Let's just let it be and take the high road and wish him well.
As far as the ancient D.U.I story....Pavs like ALL of us made a mistake.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
My comments re: the suspicions is mainly about bending over backwards to apply blame or ulterior motives to coaching/mgmt/media that they don't like, instead of a simpler, more logical explanation.

The only "fishiness" here is that he was on track to return and then needs surgery. I believe it's more that something was agitated after the skate, than Maurice trying to shut him down for the year. It seems more likely to me than an internal power play against a goalie with an expiring contract.

you're sure he's had surgery? Wasn't the last word from Maurice that he hadn't and had a 2-4 week window for returning? But it really isn't as straight a story as "was on track to return and then needs surgery." There's been a fair bit of contradictory detail given over the past few days. Again, I'm not saying there's really anything wrong here - its totally up to the organization and Pavelec how they want to present things. All I'm saying is the story as they've presented it leaves lots of room for conjecture.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
you're sure he's had surgery? Wasn't the last word from Maurice that he hadn't and had a 2-4 week window for returning? But it really isn't as straight a story as "was on track to return and then needs surgery." There's been a fair bit of contradictory detail given over the past few days. Again, I'm not saying there's really anything wrong here - its totally up to the organization and Pavelec how they want to present things. All I'm saying is the story as they've presented it leaves lots of room for conjecture.

Well, I'm counting a knee scope as surgery, as he's been reported to have had a knee scope.

The story as presented:

1) Pavelec takes practice, says he's ready

2) Maurice later says he's not ready, there was something they didn't like in his recovery

3) Ken Wiebe tweets out of the blue that Pavelec has had season ending surgery.

4) The team comes out and says, no, it's not season ending, it's a knee scope with a normal 2-3 week recovery, sometimes longer with a goalie.

The wrench in this is Ken Wiebe's tweet, that doesn't appear to come from anyone within the team but whatever source he's using. Unless the suggestion is that the team leaked season ending surgery and then publicly said something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad