Mock Top 10 w/your reasons for picks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
trahans99 said:
I'd pick Lashoff and maybe Parent before Staal. I don't see Parent going top 10 though, but Lashoff has a good chance at going 10th.

Both good players. I have heard Parent was a marginal 1st round and Lahoff Late 20's...Names i have heard in addition

Parent
Lashoff
Kindl
Rask
Price
Levasseur
Bourdon
Bourret
Durand
Syvret
Kohn
Anikeenko
Belov
Zubov
Blunden
Vincent
Skille
and others

There are always surprises. Fehr turned out to be quite a pick. But then Vlad wouldnt have picked him until the 4th round because Im so biased. Green, who I have been slow to embrace, has proven his worth on the ice. That means little to the sanctimonious Vlad. Vlad, be a little slower to judge and you may get a better impression. Shultz I still have hopes for. I have not claimed him to even be a good pick yet. So which one don't you like. WHL Goal leader Fehr? WHL Player of the Week Mike Green, also +- leader. I may have Fehr a little higher than some but so what. Look where Blake Wheeler was taken. Fehr has performed and others have not. I have good reason to like both. Semin continues to outperform Horton. But then, we don't judge by measurable statistics. We need someone's unfounded opinion.
If you don't like my reasons, that's cool. To provide no reasons of your own is just wasted talk.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
GuiG said:
Once I was high on him until I saw him play. IMO this guys don't even worth a first round pick. This guys doesn't have the vision.

He was a top5 pick before injury. His vision is the same it was. The guy is big and has skills. Fehr wasn't even on the board for the Top20 and has turned out to be one of the better picks. Latendresse was coming off an injury. Of late, he has been on fire. I think he winds up Top5.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
1. Crosby: We all know what he can do
2. Johnson: Potential franchise defender. He'll be taken ahead of Brule because good forwards are in high supply this year.
3. Brule: A top two- maybe even a first overall- pick had Crosby taken up footie instead of hockey.
4. Ryan: His style of game is suited to the pros. One of the safest picks of the draft.
5. Zagrapan: The usual European forward in terms of offensive skills, but gritty too.
6. Bourret: Relentless physical play could cause injury issues later, but he's got the heart and hands to succeed otherwise.
7. Pouliot: He could very well overtake Bourret in terms of draft position. Useful in any role on a club if his scoring touch doesn't translate to the pros.
8. Lavasseur: The hype around the kid is at an all-time high, but it's warrented. In a similar situation as JDD was in the Q, and has been stellar in the crease.
9. Kindl: He's fallen a fair ways since the initial buzz around him in September. However, if a team was desperate for D, the risk might be worth it.
10. Rask: A WJC appearance allowed most North American fans to get their first glimpse of him, and he didn't disappoint. Had a stellar 0.936 SV% and allowed 3 goals in 2 starts.

I'd be shocked if 2 goalies go Top10. think this year we buck tradition and 0 go.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Well you don't have a goalie in your top 10. If you've followed draft trends and tendencies over the past 5 years you'd notice that goalies tend to go high, and usually higher than a lot of people on this board think they will/should go. The last time a goalie was not taken in the top 10 was 1998. Since then at least one goalie has gone in the top 10 and there were two years that two goalies were taken in the top 10.

Given that some scouting services have multiple goalies in the top 10 I think it's safe to say that at least one will go. It is the most important position in hockey.

You could very well be right. History tends to say goalies are overrated. I think there are some great prospects but they are 10-20 talent. I look for a flurry of Price, Vincent, Rask and Levasseur in that range. So I am saying no goalie Top10.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Well you don't have a goalie in your top 10. If you've followed draft trends and tendencies over the past 5 years you'd notice that goalies tend to go high...

What you say is accurate but BORRO's point wasn't to post a mock draft predicting how things would go on draft day. Rather, he was asking for each poster's individual Top 10. That's why he doesn't have a goalie in his Top 10.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
borro said:
I don't know McCardle. Tell em about him. I could look but I'd rther get a summary from someone who has seen him. That isn't a name I have heard Top10.

Well he kinda jumped on to the scene just this year. He plays in Moose Jaw, pretty much the worst CHL team there is, and he's scoring at over a point-per-game pace. He's got the size, skills, and attitude that you would want in a player.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No one will like my top 10 so whatever lol

1. Sidney Crosby - F - 5'11 193 - Rimouski - QMJHL
2. Gilbert Brule - F - 5'10 177 - Vancouver - WHL
3. Jack Johnson - D - 6'01 200 - US U18
4. Jean-Phillipe Lavasseur - G - 6'01 185 - Rouyn-Noranda - QMJHL
5. Bobby Ryan - F - 6'01 223 - Owen Sound - OHL
6. Ryan Parent - D - 6'02 190 - Guelph - OHL
7. Benoit Pouliot - F - 6'02 180 - Sudberry - OHL
8. Luc Bourdon - D - 6'02 202 - Val D'or - QMJHL
9. Tukka Rask - G - 6'01 189 - Ilves Finland
10. Alex Bourret - F - 5'10 209 - Lewiston - QMJHL

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
La-La-Laprise said:
No one will like my top 10 so whatever lol

1. Sidney Crosby - F - 5'11 193 - Rimouski - QMJHL
2. Gilbert Brule - F - 5'10 177 - Vancouver - WHL
3. Jack Johnson - D - 6'01 200 - US U18
4. Jean-Phillipe Lavasseur - G - 6'01 185 - Rouyn-Noranda - QMJHL
5. Bobby Ryan - F - 6'01 223 - Owen Sound - OHL
6. Ryan Parent - D - 6'02 190 - Guelph - OHL
7. Benoit Pouliot - F - 6'02 180 - Sudberry - OHL
8. Luc Bourdon - D - 6'02 202 - Val D'or - QMJHL
9. Tukka Rask - G - 6'01 189 - Ilves Finland
10. Alex Bourret - F - 5'10 209 - Lewiston - QMJHL

Not bad, if you're going by top ten talents. I haven't seen Levasseur so he must be a pretty skilled goalie?

I love Parent in the top 10. Hes got major wheels and is physical to boot. He's described as just plain nasty, but clean, and his skating makes him VERY attractive. Standing at 6'2 with skating and physicality, I think its enough to override his low offensive statistics. I personally wouldnt put much stock in his production this year. Most players improve dramatically, guys who were physical had size but didnt produce in their draft year, the next year. EX Shea Weber and co.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
1. Sidney Crosby - not much question here. the best prospect since mario lemieux and he can do it all. while i know he won't be a wayne gretzky, i am pretty confident that he will be one of, and if not the elite NHL player for decades to come.

2. Jack Johnson - i think johnson will go ahead of brule because stud defensemen are harder to come by than forwards like brule. it would have really helped his stock if he had played in the wjc, but i think that if he can play well for the remainder of the year, he'll be picked at #2.

3. Gilbert Brule - i'm going to say that he'll be close to both #2 and #4. hes an excellent player, a bit on the small side, but plays bigger than he is. it'll be interesting to see where he goes with all these different opinions about him out there.

4. Bobby Ryan - hulking forward has been lighting up the ohl this year with Canada's second best team. I'm confident he won't slip past #4, especially if he can keep up his torrid pace. I'm looking forward to seeing him and pouliot play each other this sunday in sudbury.

5. Benoit Pouliot - lanky player has silky smooth hands and great skating ability. good finisher but i think one of his knocks is the fact that this is his first full year in the ohl (not his fault). i think css rated him too high, at #2 but i also doubt that he will slip out of the top 5.

6. Marek Zagrapan - smooth player that i will compare to the rostislav olesz of last year in that they play somewhat similar styles and will be drafted near the same position because of it. at the same time, i wouldn't be at all shocked to see zagrapan slip out of the top 10.

7. Tuuka Rask - turned in an excellent performance at the wjc, i think he's the best goalie available for the draft. needs to have a good finish to his season if he wants to stay in the top 10 though.

8. Alex Bourret - i liked the comparison to darcy tucker in a previous post. this guy brings a lot of energy and can also put the puck in the net. unfortunately, his lack of size may drop him out of the top 10.

9. Matt Lashoff - i think that this guy is one of the most underrated players available for this draft. he logs a ton of ice time for a good kitchener team and is a rock back there. he isn't extremely flashy, like his teammate jakub kindl, which may cause him to fall out of the top 10.

10. Ryan Parent - another solid ohl defensemen. this guy is a great skater that is also pretty underrated. i think kopitar could definitely find his way into the top ten as well as bergfors but i haven't seen them enough and they are by no means a consensus top ten selection. i'm high on parent though, he's very solid.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
rt said:
Does anyone think that Jack Skille could go top ten?

That's a name I considered. I went with Kopitar becuase his game seems to be dynamic. I would not be surprised to see Skille in the Top10.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Andrew_11 said:
1. Sidney Crosby - not much question here. the best prospect since mario lemieux and he can do it all. while i know he won't be a wayne gretzky, i am pretty confident that he will be one of, and if not the elite NHL player for decades to come.

2. Jack Johnson - i think johnson will go ahead of brule because stud defensemen are harder to come by than forwards like brule. it would have really helped his stock if he had played in the wjc, but i think that if he can play well for the remainder of the year, he'll be picked at #2.

3. Gilbert Brule - i'm going to say that he'll be close to both #2 and #4. hes an excellent player, a bit on the small side, but plays bigger than he is. it'll be interesting to see where he goes with all these different opinions about him out there.

4. Bobby Ryan - hulking forward has been lighting up the ohl this year with Canada's second best team. I'm confident he won't slip past #4, especially if he can keep up his torrid pace. I'm looking forward to seeing him and pouliot play each other this sunday in sudbury.

5. Benoit Pouliot - lanky player has silky smooth hands and great skating ability. good finisher but i think one of his knocks is the fact that this is his first full year in the ohl (not his fault). i think css rated him too high, at #2 but i also doubt that he will slip out of the top 5.

6. Marek Zagrapan - smooth player that i will compare to the rostislav olesz of last year in that they play somewhat similar styles and will be drafted near the same position because of it. at the same time, i wouldn't be at all shocked to see zagrapan slip out of the top 10.

7. Tuuka Rask - turned in an excellent performance at the wjc, i think he's the best goalie available for the draft. needs to have a good finish to his season if he wants to stay in the top 10 though.

8. Alex Bourret - i liked the comparison to darcy tucker in a previous post. this guy brings a lot of energy and can also put the puck in the net. unfortunately, his lack of size may drop him out of the top 10.

9. Matt Lashoff - i think that this guy is one of the most underrated players available for this draft. he logs a ton of ice time for a good kitchener team and is a rock back there. he isn't extremely flashy, like his teammate jakub kindl, which may cause him to fall out of the top 10.

10. Ryan Parent - another solid ohl defensemen. this guy is a great skater that is also pretty underrated. i think kopitar could definitely find his way into the top ten as well as bergfors but i haven't seen them enough and they are by no means a consensus top ten selection. i'm high on parent though, he's very solid.

Good list, I especially like the Zagrapan/Olesz comparision. Only one thing, at 214 pounds size won't be a concern with Bourret, no matter how short he is.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
REDO TOP 10 after TOP PROSPECTS GAME!!!

With the TOP PROSPECTS GAME done, anyone wanna reconsider there top 10?

I'd say Brule might move back up to #2 for those who have him at #3, Bourret may move up, Kindl down.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
trahans99 said:

I'd say Brule might move back up to #2 for those who have him at #3, Bourret may move up, Kindl down.

Brule played great and Jack Johnson was practically invisible. :D

leafaholix*

trahans99 said:

Based on his performance last night, Matt Lashoff shouldn't be on any top 10 lists.

Move up Staal, Price, and maybe Brule if he wasn't atleast #3.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Jack Johnson
4. Bobby Ryan
5. Benoit Pouliet
6. Marek Zagrapan
7. Alex Bourett
8. Marc Staal
9. Ryan O'Marra
10. Tukka Rask

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Carl O'Steen said:
Based on his performance last night, Matt Lashoff shouldn't be on any top 10 lists.

Move up Staal, Price, and maybe Brule if he wasn't atleast #3.

I agree w/ Lashoff, i've seen him play and wasn't that great. How well did Staal play? What did he do that was sooo good?

leafaholix*

Positionally he was solid, strength-wise he was good despite his physique, and he played the puck well.

My top 10...

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Jack Johnson or Gilbert Brule
3. Jack Johnson or Gilbert Brule
Tuukka Rask
Marc Staal
Benoit Pouliot
Bobby Ryan
Carey Price
2 others (low profile right now, will come out of nowhere)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'll take a stab at the top 10:

1. Sidney Crosby -- The Franchise

2. Gilbert Brule -- a cross between Patty LaFontaine and Steve Yzerman, not bad at all

3. Jack Johnson -- Haven't seen him play yet, but from what I hear he's going to be great.

4. Bobby Ryan -- Too bad he got hurt early last night, but his numbers are very impressive this season.

5. Marek Zagrapan -- Incredible vision. Tremendous playmaker.

6. Benoit Pouliot -- Wasn't that impressive in Vancouver but has an outstanding physical package.

7. Anze Kopitar -- Probably already best Slovenian hockey player. Shows ability to dominate offensively.

8. Ryan O'Marra -- Very impressive, all-around performer. Has some Ryan Getzlaf in him. Versatile, as well.

9. Alex Bourret -- Always makes something happen. Offensive potential may be a ? but he'll definitely play in the NHL.

10. Guillaume Latendresse -- Quite a physical specimen. Can't understand the drop to 67 in CSB listing. Will need more time than others, but should be worth it in the end.

I'll add that I wasn't impressed with any of the four goaltenders in Vancouver, and none of the defensemen really stood out as well. I do like Staal's game, and Kindl has that home run-or-bust feel about him.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
No goalie in there, because I don't know them.

1. Sidney Crosby – Rimouski Oceanic (LHJMQ)
2. Gilbert Brule – Vancouver Giants (WHL)
3. Jack Johnson – NTDP 18 (USA)
4. Marek Zagrapan – Chicoutimi Sagueneens (LHJMQ)
5. Bobby Ryan – Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
6. Alex Bourret – Lewiston MAINEiacs (LHJMQ)
7. Jakub Kindl – Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
8. Benoit Pouliot – Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
9. Ryan Parent – Guelph Storm (OHL)
10. Devin Setoguchi – Saskatoon Blades (WHL)

bruins_19

Dec 1, 2004
I like Setoguchi at 10. He might sneak in there hes having a great season and he really showed off his talents at the top prospects game. Look for him to move up!

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Guess i'll join the crowd....

1 Sidney Crosby C Rimouski (QMJHL) 5-11/195

Sublime talent in every aspect of the game. Not only that, but a genuine nice guy and team player. Has the ability to save whatever franchise he goes to(please...if there is a god, let it be WSH)

2 Gilbert Brule C Vancouver (WHL) 5-10/175

Extremely well rounded player. Amazing skater, with a wrist shot that is better than most already in the NHL. Downside is his predilection for taking dumb penalties, often, and for being selfish with the puck.

3 Jack Johnson D NTDP-18 (USA) 6-1/200

Everything you want in a defenseman. Strong, fast, nasty, covers his own zone well and has loads of scoring prowess. Downside is he can be a bit too nasty at times.

4 Bobby Ryan RW Owen Sound (OHL) 6-1/225

Bit of a gap here between 3 and 4.

5 Benoit Pouliot LW Sudbury (OHL) 6-3/
6 Jean-Philippe Levasseur G Rouyn Noranda (QMJHL) 6-1/185
7 Alex Bourret RW Lewiston (QMJHL) 5-10/210
8 Ryan O'Marra C Erie (OHL) 6-1/195
9 Nicklas Bergfors RW Sodertalje (Swe) 5-11/195
10 Dan Bertram RW Boston College (HE) 5-11/175

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I'll add that I wasn't impressed with any of the four goaltenders in Vancouver, and none of the defensemen really stood out as well. I do like Staal's game, and Kindl has that home run-or-bust feel about him.

Goaltenders don't do well in all-star games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad