Mock GM Results and Standings

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Finally got all the stats compiled. Now that we're two years in, there isn't any point to keeping this in either draft thread as it includes the stats for both years.

By my count, there are 39 faux GMs that have participated across the two seasons. Of course, usernames change so there may be some duplicates - if anyone sees themselves on there twice please let me know so that I can combine the teams.

GMs are credited with all their picks. This leads to a few anomalies - some GMs only did one mock draft, and others did multiple teams in the same draft. This shows in the number of picks. This also leads to anomalies in that some players were selected multiple times. Since there is no fair way to determine which GM gets a player, both GMs get a player. The most interesting case is @Patrick Division who selected John St. Ivany and Radim Salda in 2017, both of whom went unselected in their first year of draft eligibility but were picked by real teams in 2018.

The standings are broken in half - GMs with at least 1 NHL game played (19), and GMs with no NHL games played (20). In general, there are more players selected in 2018 that have already played in the NHL than in 2017. No goalie selected in either draft has seen an NHL game yet. Standings are sorted by Games Played, then Points, Wins, GP/Pick, DI Score, and finally Pick Corsi. The first 4 stats are obvious, DI score is a method of determining accuracy in drafting (the closer a player was picked to the actual draft position, the higher the score) and PC is simply discrepancy from mock draft to actual draft (a positive number means picking players late that actually were drafted early, negative means picking players early that were drafted late or went undrafted). All players that were selected in the mock drafts but go undrafted in the real draft are given a selection positing of 218 for purposes of these statistics.

I've also included the GM breakdown for @Rebels57 as an example he is currently in first place. Anyone else that wants theirs posted, let me know and I'll add it here in the thread (I just don't want to deal with posting all 39 if nobody cares). I am also willing to email anybody the whole excel sheet if anyone wants to play with the data - just PM me your email address.

*NOTE* - stats are approximate. It takes a lot of time to check the stats on 400+ players, and I use hockeydb so the stats are a little bit out of date. I'll do another update sometime in the offseason which will be more accurate.

pmiSCO3.jpg

iCM3E29.jpg

6kR3wSM.jpg

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Thanks for all of your hard work @denominator

1ST PLACE *****ES

View attachment 167449

You picked TWICE in the 2017 draft for Winnipeg and the Flyers (drafting that bust Patrick above Pettersson too!), and then drafted for Buffalo in 2018 to take Dahlin.

You picked a ton, especially up high with 2 top 2 picks, and it’s based on games played 1.5 years later. Pack it in, pal!

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You picked TWICE in the 2017 draft for Winnipeg and the Flyers (drafting that bust Patrick above Pettersson too!), and then drafted for Buffalo in 2018 to take Dahlin.

You picked a ton, especially up high with 2 top 2 picks, and it’s based on games played 1.5 years later. Pack it in, pal!

WHY ARE YOU SO JEALOUS?!?!?!

:naughty:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
UPDATE

I finally got all of the 2019 draft results sorted and added to their proper teams, and updated all the stats. This is getting to be a more daunting task every year; we're up over 600 drafted players now so it's a lot of stat checking and a lot of misspelled names to be verified.

With the new additions for 2019, we now have 45 unique managers that have made selections since I started tracking (if you guys did a draft prior to 2017 I ain't tracking it). Predictably, players that have made more selections are generally trending better than those who have made fewer, and those that picked in the earlier drafts are trending better than those that joined recently (only 5 players drafted in 2019 have played in the NHL thus far, compared to 44 from the 2017 draft).

I also included a new statistic for this update: average draft position. This generally shows the managers that had easier drafts and those that had more difficult, but it obviously balances over time and doesn't account for things like @Rebels57 drafting 2 in 2017 and 1 in 2018. An "average" draft position is 109, so anything lower than that is an easy draft history, higher is a difficult draft history.

As always, I have each manager broken out into their own sheet so if anyone wants to see their breakdown let me know and I will post it. I know there are some necromanagers so I am only going to post by request to save myself some effort.

dSNOQfJ.jpg

7iUeoRI.jpg

KVKzFw2.jpg

mEsbppx.jpg

AsZ0t6u.jpg

Apologies for my poor cropping skills, and caveat: stats are from hockeydb so may be out of date or flat out wrong.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Double post!

This is a more fun look than the tables of numbers.

Currently, if we were going to have a matchup of the "best" two teams as created by this draft, it would be Team @GKJ vs Team @Rebels57

GKJ features Cayden Primeau in net, a back-end of Miro Heiskanen and Martin Fehervary, and a pair of forwards in Jaret Anders0n-Dolan and Alexandre Texier. He'd need a third forward but has pretty good options in Aleksi Heponiemi, Dominik Bokk, and Dylan Cozens.

Rebels57 features an impressive (if injured) top line of Nolan Patrick, Eeli Tolvanen, and Filip Chytil. He's also got a good defenceman in Rasmus Dahlin, but would have to pair him with unproven options Luke Martin, Gustav Lindstrom, or Martin Has. Also a gap in goal where he's looking at Jordan Hollett or Jason Ingham.

This will be a fun exercise to track through the years - not necessarily who has the best picks but who has built a complete team.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
NEW UPDATE

I've gotten all the stats updated for the regular season. Of course, this was delayed while I waited for some things to resolve themselves: playoff games are NOT included in this, and I needed to know if the round robin games were considered playoff or not before beginning the update.

As playoff games are not included, there are a number of players under-represented here. This will balance in the long run as ~10 playoff games played before you make a regular season debut doesn't matter years into your career.

The 2020 Mock Draft that just wrapped up is not yet represented here - I'll add those players in after the NHL gets around to running their draft. Right now, this is the most accurate time w/r/t NHL stats and things like GP/pick, but the Average Pick, DI Score and Pick Corsi will change significantly with the next update. The next post will be highlighting some of the highs and lows buried in these stats.

trGpeeL.jpg

R0Jcoqw.jpg

voB3bXo.jpg

CN96hnd.jpg

VFiaGJv.jpg

I did not bother marking in red the lows for GP, Points, and Wins because there are still a lot of zeros there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
NEW UPDATE

I've gotten all the stats updated for the regular season. Of course, this was delayed while I waited for some things to resolve themselves: playoff games are NOT included in this, and I needed to know if the round robin games were considered playoff or not before beginning the update.

As playoff games are not included, there are a number of players under-represented here. This will balance in the long run as ~10 playoff games played before you make a regular season debut doesn't matter years into your career.

The 2020 Mock Draft that just wrapped up is not yet represented here - I'll add those players in after the NHL gets around to running their draft. Right now, this is the most accurate time w/r/t NHL stats and things like GP/pick, but the Average Pick, DI Score and Pick Corsi will change significantly with the next update. The next post will be highlighting some of the highs and lows buried in these stats.

trGpeeL.jpg

R0Jcoqw.jpg

voB3bXo.jpg

CN96hnd.jpg

VFiaGJv.jpg

I did not bother marking in red the lows for GP, Points, and Wins because there are still a lot of zeros there.

Once again, you are the man!

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
As yet, nobody can ice a full team (obviously - collecting 12F, 6D, and 2G is going to take more than 3 drafts).

We still don't have anyone that can ice a full line (3F, 2D, 1G); typically it's the goaltender that nobody can hit.

GKJ is close:

Jaret Anderson-Dolan - Alexandre Texier - XXX
Miro Heiskanen - Martin Fehervary
Cayden Primeau

Rebels57 is close:

Filip Chytil - Nolan Patrick - Eeli Tolvanen
Gustav Lindstrom - Rasmus Dahlin
XXX

Nobody else has more than 4 players that have made the NHL so far.

As always, if anyone wants to see details of any GM; let me know. I have each GM broken down so we can all see the ridiculously good draft of CodyTheHuman, or the ridiculously stacked draft of Rebels57, or the comedy of misses that is SnS, or take solace in knowing we'll all always be ahead of ted1971.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->