Mock GM advice

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Over on the Avs board, we have an annual mock offseason game. I had a relatively high pick in the team draft, and choose the Coyotes. Partly due to the promising youngsters, and partly due to the fact that my in-laws recently moved to Buckeye from Colorado. (side note...the par tof Buckeye they live in doesn't seem to be connected to the rest of it, much farther north). I will link my roster post, and the CF Arm-Chair GM link once I get them made :).
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=130023317&postcount=28
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/292070

Anyhow, I am doing the initial set up of the team, and the expansion lists. I admit that I do not see many Arizona games, as I live in Thailand and finding saved streams is tough (tried NHL Game Center one year and it is for shame here...glitchy and unwatchable).

Who would you protect, and why? Just based off of name recognition and prior exposure, I was thinking McGinn would be protected, but I see that many here would not agree. I plan on exposing Dominque, as I would be afraid to run with him as the #1 if Smith got taken. There is a glut of exempt players that I may try to use as bait for those teams that have too many exposed players....but we are only allowed one trade pre-expansion draft to a team that is not Vegas (unlimited with Vegas).
OEL is a no-brainer, Murphy is on my list, and Goligoski has to be (would be anyway).
Forwards are tougher...Reider and Duclair are the only ones that I see as a clear cut above the rest. Martinook I think is a lock, but many options for the remaining slots...Richardson, Burmistrov, Jooris probably. Morin, Pulkkinen, Gaudet, and others are hard to pick between.
Or should I protect Schenn (or Tinordi), and expose all of them (and then have to choose between Richardson, Burmistrov and Jooris fo the 4th F slot).

Doan is retiring...or going elsewhere. No hard feelings, but we need to open a roster spot for the next Doan (Crouse). Also, apologies for any favorites I end up shipping off, etc...I do not know the guys the way you folks do, and I do not have favorites to play....some guys I like, but even some of them are going to be getting the "its a business treatment.

What are the areas of need for the team? I plan on targeting a 1C on the trade market (might have to ship aforementioned future captain out along with a D prospect for the one I will be trying for first). RHD seems to be a need as well....that one is harder to address.

As I said earlier, I am in Thailand, so the timing of responses may take a while, as I tend to sleep when this site is most active. But rest assured, if you take the time and make the effort to assist me in this endeavor, it will be taken to heart.

Also, we have a vote/playoffs at the end, on the main boards, to decide the best team. It take a few weeks (at least) to get through everything, then the voting. I encourage everyone to look over the rosters and vote as they see fit.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We are a team looking to make moves to take advantage of teams with expansion draft issues.

Today's roster I would protect:

Reider
Martinook
Burmistrov
Duclair

OEL
Goligoski
Murphy
Schenn

Smith

We could easily expose Schenn and Burmistrov and trade for help up front. We would likely be targetting a RD (Enstrom) but more likely we are targetting upgrading our C (Stepan?) and other forwards to improve overall talent level. If we move to 7F/3D option we can protect McGinn but even then it's not a lock.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I think we're better off buying McGinn out, take the $1m cap hit and keep the pick. We're currently in danger of not hitting the cap floor next season and dumping his entire salary will only hurt that.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think we're better off buying McGinn out, take the $1m cap hit and keep the pick. We're currently in danger of not hitting the cap floor next season and dumping his entire salary will only hurt that.

I don't think it'll be to difficult for GMJC to trade for a contract to bring us to the floor. Plekanec or Lehtera come to mind and they would be useful short-term stabilizers at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad