HF Habs: Mock Early Birds (Draft Has Started)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The traditional annual mock draft selection;
Veini Vehvilainen
Not particularly excited about him, but I can't find anyone else who I believe has somewhat of an NHL upside.

Draft completed;
(1) 13.: Bode Wilde (D) - USNTDP (USHL) - 6'2"
(1) 15.: Ryan Merkley (D) - Guelph Storm (OHL) - 5'11"
(2) 44.: Bulat Shafigullin (F) - Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik (KHL) - 6'1"
(2) 46.: Jan Jenik (LW) - HC Benatky nad Jizerou (Czech2) - 6'1"
(3) 75. Liam Foudy (C) - London Knights (OHL) - 6'0"
(4) 106. Curtis Douglas (C) - Windsor Spitfires (OHL) - 6'8"
(5) 132. Justin Brazeau (RW) - North Bay Battalion (OHL) - 6'6"
(5) 137. Toni Utunen (D) - LeKi (Mestis) - 5'11"
(5) 152. Olivier Rodrigue (G) - Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL) - 6'1"
(6) 172. Michal Kvasnica (LW/RW) - HC Frydek-Mistek (Czech2) - 6'1"
(7) 190. Shawn Boudrias (RW) - Gatineau (LHJMQ) - 6'5"
(7) 203. Pavel Shen (F) - Mamonty - Yugry (Russia) - 6'1"
(7) 214. Veini Vehvilainen (G) - Kärpät (Liiga) - 6'0"

I like my draft overall, lot of size as I like to go for, good skaters in the average size ones. A lot of overagers with the later picks which is surprising because it usually isn't my style of pick.

Shafigullin and Foudy are the selections which I am the most pleased about, and I am glad I am the one taking a chance on Douglas, will be interesting to follow how he will develop. Like the guys I got in the 5th too.

Retroactively I would pick Kravtsov with one of the first rounders, it someone I always had high on my list, but with how he is performing in the playoff he is moving in my top10 (more bragging rights for @NotProkofievian). Otherwise, Carl Wassenius is a player which went under my radar which seems like a very solid selection to me.

Thank you to @MarkovsKnee for his contribution to the draft ;)

That is a nice haul. Great first round picks, and I was hoping to grab Rodrigue and Shen myself.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
And with that pick, we're done.

Draft started February 26th & ended March 21st. 24 days to make 217 picks, an average of 9 picks a day.

That's pretty good, guys!

I'll update OP later.

Can't wait for the real draft!

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If the Habs pick them, I'll make Churla Kral and lick my tool.

Good thing i draft based on my viewings and i don't let myself get influenced by what people say, that's how i can pick out a player like Dobson 1 year before anyone else knows anything about him ;)

If you give me M. Samuelsson, Miller, Kral in the 2nd i'll draft them all day (unless someone else i love doesn't drop ridiculously low as well).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good thing i draft based on my viewings and i don't let myself get influenced by what people say, that's how i can pick out a player like Dobson 1 year before anyone else knows anything about him ;)

If you give me M. Samuelsson, Miller, Kral in the 2nd i'll draft them all day (unless someone else i love doesn't drop ridiculously low as well).

I just can't put a 2nd round grade on prospects who don't have an outstanding skill, guys who are pretty much mediocre across everything just never really amount to much more than tweener players. So, that leaves Kral and Samuelsson in areas that I will just not pick them. I'll rate Kral in the third round, but I won't rate Samuelsson at all since I know he's going to be picked higher than I would rank.

Miller is toolsy but my viewings all show me that he lacks the brain capacity to use them cohesively. He's a gamble that, sure, if they take that gamble in the 2nd round, with four 2nd round picks, I'll allow it. But, from what I've seen, he's just going to leave me wanting more and there's better players in the 1st/2nd round for me.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Well i don't want to bad mouth ppls picks so i won't go there.. safe to say that i'll do me and you do you :P.

We can look back on our drafts down the line, talking about this kind of stuff right now is just speculation, it's useless and a waste of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad