Mock Draft

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Hey guys, I am participating in a mock draft as the GM of the Coyotes and I just want to confirm that my interpretation of the Yotes needs are the same as the fans here who have a stronger handle on the team than I do.

My understanding is the biggest need for you guys are for right shooting forwards, both at Centre and on the Wing. I also think that despite having OEL and Cychrun that you could still use some left shooting defenseman in your prospect pool. I am very high on both Kyle Wood and Anthony Deangelo but RD would be a secondary need in my opinion as well. A high end goalie prospect would be nice but I am going to do my best to let that fall to me as opposed to reaching.

Basically everything other than Left Wingers would make a lot of sense in my opinion so I think I'm fairly safe going BPA for the most part. Would you agree?

Picks so far:

7. Gabe Vilardi- Centre -Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
-fell to me at 7. Should work well as a right shot centre with the ability to play wing​

Any feedback on picks would be appreciated as well.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd be thrilled with Valardi falling.

I'd be looking at D for 23#, but if a good forward falls in your lap, I'm all for BPA.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Yeah if Vilardi is available I'm sure most people here would love for him to be our pick. Most of the mock draft type posts around here have Vilardi gone by the time we pick.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeah I was surprised he was avaliable as well but between him, Mittlestadt, Glass, and Pettersson there should be an elite C available for you. Obviously he has the advantage of being right handed which is nice and he is one of the youngest players available which bodes well for projections but in reality I don't think there is a huge gap between any of those 4 players.

He hasn't blown the doors off at the memorial cup either despite Windsor playing really well which could increase his chances of falling to 7.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Vilardi would be great. At 23 I'd like Robert Thomas, Kailer Yamamoto, Henri Jokiharju, or Brannstrom. Unless there are any major fallers.

I'd also say RD is definitely more of a need than LD. Murphy, DeAngelo and Wood are great but will obviously never be OEL and I think Chychrun has better upside than any of them.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd also say RD is definitely more of a need than LD. Murphy, DeAngelo and Wood are great but will obviously never be OEL and I think Chychrun has better upside than any of them.

I agree with this assessment on talent, but I think 23 is still too early to draft for need. Someone like Brannstrom or Valimaki is probably two years away from even cracking the lineup and 3 or 4 from becoming a top four guy, if they ever get there. By that point, it's possible OEL has walked. Goligoski will decline at some point. Chychrun might never develop past a solid 4 or 5. And then who knows about injuries or trades. If they're all still humming along in 3 years and you have a stud defenseman prospect, you can trade him to address another need.

If we had a 21-year-old defenseman ready for top four minutes right now, he'd go a long way toward acquiring someone like Duchene. It's genuinely a good problem to have.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'll list a half-dozen targets (in order of preference) for 23, 35, and then our third rounders:

23: Erik Brannstrom, Connor Timmins, Henri Jokiharju, Robert Thomas, Kailer Yamamoto, Kristian Vesalainen, Lias Andersson
35: Joni Ikonen, Janet Anderson-Dolan, Ivan Lodnia, Kole Lind, Maxime Comtois, Jason Robertson, Markus Phillips
69: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Keith Petruzzelli, Uko-Pekka Luukonen, David Farrance, Scott Reedy, Stelio Mattheos
78: Mikey Anderson, Mackenzie Entwistle, Aleksi Heponiemi, Alex Formenton, Cayden Primeau, Stuart Skinner

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I like virtually all of those guys, but I want to call out Formenton specifically. Sadly, I don't think he lasts to 78. I've got him ranked in the early 20s, and I'm guessing someone takes a flyer on him in the second round. His production was limited but fine for a rookie getting bottom six minutes at even strength and no powerplay time, but he's one of the youngest guys in the draft and maybe the fastest. He's a raw talent but the frame, skill and speed are very projectable.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, Formenton is very intruiging. Given the close proximity of our two thirds I'd definitely consider taking him at 69, but unless we dropped down from 35 I probably wouldn't take him in the second although I agree some team might take a flyer on him earlier on.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'll list a half-dozen targets (in order of preference) for 23, 35, and then our third rounders:

23: Erik Brannstrom, Connor Timmins, Henri Jokiharju, Robert Thomas, Kailer Yamamoto, Kristian Vesalainen, Lias Andersson
35: Joni Ikonen, Janet Anderson-Dolan, Ivan Lodnia, Kole Lind, Maxime Comtois, Jason Robertson, Markus Phillips
69: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Keith Petruzzelli, Uko-Pekka Luukonen, David Farrance, Scott Reedy, Stelio Mattheos
78: Mikey Anderson, Mackenzie Entwistle, Aleksi Heponiemi, Alex Formenton, Cayden Primeau, Stuart Skinner

Yes please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad