NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 20th Overall Pick

Who Should the New Jersey Devils Select 20th Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
From the Rangers perspective Matthew Robertson in the 2nd round was solid and hard to argue with. I could see why the Rangers did that. I like Henriksson and I really like Zac Jones but I would have taken Dorofeyev over either of them. Still those four are looking pretty good at this point.

It was strange for me to see because I knew how much the Rangers liked him.

It’s one thing when you’re at the top of the draft where there’s a short list of guys a team likes more.

But my the third round, usually they are gobbling up those names you hear prior to the draft.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

It’s one thing when you’re at the top of the draft where there’s a short list of guys a team likes more.

But my the third round, usually they are gobbling up those names you hear prior to the draft.

which really takes the sting out of dallas failing to make the conference finals to give us a 1st

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I was at a friend's house watching 2 through 7 and when the Rangers 2nd came up I was hoping they'd call Dorofeyev then but they picked Robertson instead and I was like 'oh, okay that's a good one but we're not getting Dorofeyev now' and then he lasted through Henriksson and Jones and a bunch after that. Such a big deal was made over Kaliyev not making the 1st round but to me Dorofeyev could have been there too--he was at least a really solid 2nd round pick.

Sometimes guys fall and sometimes it's not very explainable.

Reactions: Edge

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
From the Rangers perspective Matthew Robertson in the 2nd round was solid and hard to argue with. I could see why the Rangers did that. I like Henriksson and I really like Zac Jones but I would have taken Dorofeyev over either of them. Still those four are looking pretty good at this point.

That Robertson pick was pretty frustrating for some people who wanted Nicholas Robertson at that pick, especially with incoming forward depth being pretty low compared to defensemen. Matthew is fine but Nicholas is looking like the significantly better talent. Though we're going to be set at LW for a long time with Lafreniere coming in.

Reactions: pblawr

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That Robertson pick was pretty frustrating for some people who wanted Nicholas Robertson at that pick, especially with incoming forward depth being pretty low compared to defensemen. Matthew is fine but Nicholas is looking like the significantly better talent. Though we're going to be set at LW for a long time with Lafreniere coming in.

another young pick that exploded in his D+1 year...if he was 4 days older he would be in this years draft and is only 30 days older than Lafreniere

crazy enough Robertson was born on 9/11/01 that would have been a crazy storyline if he got picked by NY

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Nicholas is a very, very good pick too. I wouldn't rank him over Matthew though.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

@Steve Kournianos would like to have a word with you.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If this was a normal pre-season, I think Robertson would be a prospect in camp to keep a very close eye on.

He's a big guy, who skates very well, gets to the puck, and get's it moving in the right direction. With his agility and size, he is a tough player to steal the puck from. He reads plays very well, gets himself into excellent position, and can be very difficult to beat.

What's interesting with Robertson is that he's very controlled. There's not a lot of wasted energy. He's not running around chasing people. He's not taking himself out of position to make a big hit. He's not going out there and trying to do too much with the puck. He simply plays within himself and impacts the play.

There's a lot of young Marc Staal in Robertson. This is the type of prospect who could quietly patrol a blueline for 10-15 years in the NHL, never win any awards, and yet be a vital piece of the defense.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

What hurts even more is potentially seeing Dorofeyev playing with Kravtsov now

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Perrault again, but part of that is the hope that if he goes that means that the Rangers get a shot at either Amirov or Greig.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If this was a normal pre-season, I think Robertson would be a prospect in camp to keep a very close eye on.

He's a big guy, who skates very well, gets to the puck, and get's it moving in the right direction. With his agility and size, he is a tough player to steal the puck from. He reads plays very well, gets himself into excellent position, and can be very difficult to beat.

What's interesting with Robertson is that he's very controlled. There's not a lot of wasted energy. He's not running around chasing people. He's not taking himself out of position to make a big hit. He's not going out there and trying to do too much with the puck. He simply plays within himself and impacts the play.

There's a lot of young Marc Staal in Robertson. This is the type of prospect who could quietly patrol a blueline for 10-15 years in the NHL, never win any awards, and yet be a vital piece of the defense.

I can see the Staal comparison though I've always felt like Jonas Brodin was a pretty apt comparison. Little bit bigger but very similar game.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Does Dorofeyev play center? I know a lot of people were hot on Dorofeyev but I prefer either of the Robertson kids at that pick. If he plays center, I guess you can make a case for him but if not, not sure he's a player we can really use well now. We have a Kravtsov. I may be wrong but they seem like similar players. We need a 2nd line center and bottom six players right now. Curious what Reuschhoff, Richards, and Barron can bring to camp.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going with Barron since NJ needs as much help on defense as they can get. And could also see another brotherly rivalry happen among the Barron brothers which is always fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->