NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 20th Overall Pick

Who Should the New Jersey Devils Select 20th Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 19th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Calgary Flames select Connor Zary with Kamloops of the WHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski
2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury
3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim
4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw
5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie
6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda
7. The New Jersey Devils select Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens
8. The Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa
9. The Minnesota Wild select Anton Lundell, C, HIFK
10. The Winnipeg Jets select Jake Sanderson, D, USA NTDP
11. The Nashville Predators select Seth Jarvis, RW, Portland
12. The Florida Panthers select Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa
13. The Carolina Hurricanes select Yaroslav Askarov, G, SKA St. Petersburg
14. The Edmonton Oilers select Dawson Mercer, RW, Drummondville
15. The Toronto Maple Leafs select Braden Schneider, D, Brandon
16. The Montreal Canadiens select Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi
17. The Chicago Blackhawks select Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert
18. The New Jersey Devils select Dylan Holloway, LW, Wisonsin
19. The Calgary Flames select Connor Zary, C, Kamloops

The New Jersey Devils are on the clock...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
With Holloway to them at 18 it seems like a time to take a big swing. Voted Gunler at 18 with the same idea, so sticking with him here. Could see Perrault as an option in that same vein though.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Took the relatively safe Holloway with their first pick. Now is a time to take a big swing with that shiny new GM leash.

I don't think Amirov is their guy to accompany Holloway. Sign me up for Bourque. Ridiculous high-end offensive potential wins out.

Reactions: Kendo

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
With Holloway to them at 18 it seems like a time to take a big swing. Voted Gunler at 18 with the same idea, so sticking with him here. Could see Perrault as an option in that same vein though.

Perreault, Gunler, Bourque, and the two German kids, all smell like the type of swing they'd want to take here.

Reactions: Trxjw

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Took the relatively safe Holloway with their first pick. Now is a time to take a big swing with that shiny new GM leash.

I don't think Amirov is their guy to accompany Holloway. Sign me up for Bourque. Ridiculous high-end offensive potential wins out.
Me too.

The interesting thing is, this’ll likely be a two horse race with everyone using similar logic to come to the same decision.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Voted Barron as he's the only defenseman on the list lol

I can't see New Jersey taking 3 forwards in the first round, just can't. I think with either 18 or 20 they take a defenseman.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
Voted Barron as he's the only defenseman on the list lol

I can't see New Jersey taking 3 forwards in the first round, just can't. I think with either 18 or 20 they take a defenseman.

yeah, thats what i was thinking too, but we've seen it before. i'm torn between amirov, bourque, gunler as BPA

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
yeah, thats what i was thinking too, but we've seen it before. i'm torn between amirov, bourque, gunler as BPA
New Jersey is in a unique situation where they could take a swing on someone like Barron because they have the other two picks.

Schneider being a RD would also be a good candidate for NJ if he makes it to 18/20

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
New Jersey is in a unique situation where they could take a swing on someone like Barron because they have the other two picks.

Schneider being a RD would also be a good candidate for NJ if he makes it to 18/20

I suspect you're right, but I don't think Schneider or Guhle gets to them at 18/20.

It may be more likely that they get Drysdale or Sanderson with their first pick, or that they try to trade down with one of the others, as opposed to reaching on a kid like Barron.

Were it the Rangers, if neither of those options were available, then I'd hope for them to grab three forwards.

Edit - or trade up for Schneider or Guhle, I guess. I despise trading up so much that it doesn't come to mind immediately as an option :laugh:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I suspect you're right, but I don't think Schneider or Guhle gets to them at 18/20.

It may be more likely that they get Drysdale or Sanderson with their first pick, or that they try to trade down with one of the others, as opposed to reaching on a kid like Barron.

Were it the Rangers, if neither of those options were available, then I'd hope for them to grab three forwards.

Edit - or trade up for Schneider or Guhle, I guess. I despise trading up so much that it doesn't come to mind immediately as an option :laugh:
Yeah it’s possible for sure

although to be fair to Barron, not sure taking him at 20 is a reach. Bob has him ranked 25, so it’s not like he’s ranked in the 40s and taking him at 20

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah it’s possible for sure

although to be fair to Barron, not sure taking him at 20 is a reach. Bob has him ranked 25, so it’s not like he’s ranked in the 40s and taking him at 20
And he was thought to be a top 10 type before his blood clot issues. Kind of a weird year for him, it seems like once he had those blood clots he immediately fell to the 2nd round instead of incrementally falling down the board

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yeah, I don't know about his ranking history, but Barron just isn't a guy I have any interest in this early.

If you're going to be a big guy that can skate pretty well, you still need to have something else going for you. I'm not sure if I've read a report (note: read; I've never watched a highlight package or anything of him) that listed his puck-moving ability, or nastiness, or poise, or shot, or anything else as being a plus skill.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This year's Dorofeyev

Steven - I've been really focused and following drafts since around 1993.

Dorofeyev is still one of the strangest happenings I've ever seen. Fans fell in love with the kid, and there were several teams that were really high on him, including the Rangers.

And yet there he was sitting on the board as the 79th pick came up.

Even a year later I have professional people shake their head about that one. It really was bizarre.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Dorofeyev is still one of the strangest happenings I've ever seen. Fans fell in love with the kid, and there were several teams that were really high on him, including the Rangers.

Even a year later I have professional people shake their head about that one. It really was bizarre.

I was sitting next to Steve Kournianos at the draft. We were going through our lists and every pick in rounds 2 and 3 we were just looking at each other baffled that yet another player went ahead of him

Reactions: Edge

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Bob McKenzie's list, the most accurate predictor of the draft order I believe we have, had Dorofeyev at 82. Yet when he was picked 79 it was like the Undertaker lost at Wrestlemania.

Side note: He looks just like Ian Gallagher from Shameless.

pavel-dorofeyev-2020-5027.jpg

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

From the Rangers perspective Matthew Robertson in the 2nd round was solid and hard to argue with. I could see why the Rangers did that. I like Henriksson and I really like Zac Jones but I would have taken Dorofeyev over either of them. Still those four are looking pretty good at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad