NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 16th Overall Pick

Who Should The Montreal Canadiens Select 16th Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 15th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs select Braden Schneider with Brandon of the WHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski
2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury
3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim
4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw
5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie
6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda
7. The New Jersey Devils select Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens
8. The Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa
9. The Minnesota Wild select Anton Lundell, C, HIFK
10. The Winnipeg Jets select Jake Sanderson, D, USA NTDP
11. The Nashville Predators select Seth Jarvis, RW, Portland
12. The Florida Panthers select Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa
13. The Carolina Hurricanes select Yaroslav Askarov, G, SKA St. Petersburg
14. The Edmonton Oilers select Dawson Mercer, RW, Drummondville
15. The Toronto Maple Leafs select Braden Schneider, D, Brandon

The Montreal Canadiens are on the clock...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They've got a solid amout of picks. I think Guhle is in play here. I think Bourque is in play. Same for Amirov. I think Mysak, Peterka and Reichel get consideration here. But I think they gamble and take a big swing on Lapierre.

Also note this is around the higher-end of the range the Rangers might be able to trade into. We're not factoring in trades into this mock, but we can certainly discuss them.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I feel like this is the part of the draft I really feel like I don't have a clear cut hunch "this is the guy they take."
I've been beyond that point since like pick 3, there's things that make sense match wise with some teams and players, but I always go back to these teams are picking 18 year olds and after a certain pick these kids are at least 2 years out, so I don't put much stock (if any) into team needs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I get the Bourque and Lapierre angle. I get the Guhle's the best D left angle too. I don't get a Zary vibe here. I think Amirov or Perreault have a shot too but I decided to go with Holloway. Forward with size who skates well and takes the body.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
They've got a solid amout of picks. I think Guhle is in play here. I think Bourque is in play. Same for Amirov. I think Mysak, Peterka and Reichel get consideration here. But I think they gamble and take a big swing on Lapierre.

Also note this is around the higher-end of the range the Rangers might be able to trade into. We're not factoring in trades into this mock, but we can certainly discuss them.
I went through the same analysis and picked Bourque – if they had more than one 1st round pick, or if there wasn't another sexy QMJHLer available, I might've gone Lapierre, but as it is, I don't think they can risk whiffing.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
My good friend, who is a huge Habs fan, hopes they draft Holloway or Jarvis. Seeing how Jarvis went already, I threw in his vote for me.

Edit- Also wants absolutely nothing to do with Lapierre, way too many red flags

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
They could really go for anybody here. If Lapierre keeps bumping his stock this year, he may be the most likely guy come October, but I'm going to lean towards a two-way forward with size that is in this range. God knows it isn't a player they've had a boon of over the last several years, and a bunch of their top forward prospects are on the shorter side still.

So, Holloway or Amirov, I guess. I'll go Holloway, with MB leaning towards the slightly taller, slightly better skater.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
are the habs due yet to pick another 1LD that they can then trade for a mediocre center?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why? Should be the easiest one: which kid is from Quebec?

I feel like that's both the obvious answer and sometimes almost too easy of an easy. I think Bourque is a real consideration here.

But I can't help but feel like Guhle and Amirov are real dark horse candidates to go here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hard to pass up Guhle here for me. Feels like a good fit as he fills a need and is, IMO, the BPA at this spot

So there's a very real possibility he would've been the Rangers pick at 12 (or wherever the hell our pick was) if their guys in the top 10 weren't on the board.

I wonder how much intrigue there would be if he's sitting there at 17 and Chicago is on the clock.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So there's a very real possibility he would've been the Rangers pick at 12 (or wherever the hell our pick was) if their guys in the top 10 weren't on the board.

I wonder how much intrigue there would be if he's sitting there at 17 and Chicago is on the clock.

I think that would make sense. Especially if it was the Rangers moving Georgiev to jump up. I think if the cost was a 2nd to move up then maybe they balk but giving up Georgiev almost seems like a lesser price to pay. Getting a guy you had at 12 -- or potentially even a little higher -- at 17 is tremendous value.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think that would make sense. Especially if it was the Rangers moving Georgiev to jump up. I think if the cost was a 2nd to move up then maybe they balk but giving up Georgiev almost seems like a lesser price to pay. Getting a guy you had at 12 -- or potentially even a little higher -- at 17 is tremendous value.

I agree with the thought process but I'd have a hard time trading up for a non-center. given our depth on defense and wing, i'm not sure anyone else in this range is enough of a blue chip to do it...you are probably getting the same tier player here as 22.

i might lean toward dealing georgiev for a 2nd (dream of 2 2nds lol) were we can swoop up another good prospect to add to the system

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
3FE90AAC-6674-4E06-899C-5E2DF77BBCDB.jpeg
Lapierre sounds like a good fit for Montreal. He already sounds like a Canadian. Despite his injury prone label somebody has to pass to the shooting ho*&&. With no desire to pass, the shooting ho*&& looks to shoot from anywhere from his own blue line forward. Yes, Lapierre is the pick b/c somebody will have to pass to Cole Caufield

back after this

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree with the thought process but I'd have a hard time trading up for a non-center. given our depth on defense and wing, i'm not sure anyone else in this range is enough of a blue chip to do it...you are probably getting the same tier player here as 22.

i might lean toward dealing georgiev for a 2nd (dream of 2 2nds lol) were we can swoop up another good prospect to add to the system

Well I don't think it would hurt to have additional guys in the pipeline at LD even though it looks strong now. We've seen how quickly that strength can flip to a weak point with our center depth and I'd argue defensive prospects are even more of a wild card. Plus if things do break right for guys like Miller and Robertson, we're likely going to need some cheap options in 3-4 years to fill in when guys start cashing bigger checks.

Plus I'd rather have the #1 and #12 guys on my list over #1 and #22 and whatever pick we added through a Georgiev trade. Especially if I'm one of the teams that feel there's notable drop off after #15.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Well I don't think it would hurt to have additional guys in the pipeline at LD even though it looks strong now. We've seen how quickly that strength can flip to a weak point with our center depth and I'd argue defensive prospects are even more of a wild card. Plus if things do break right for guys like Miller and Robertson, we're likely going to need some cheap options in 3-4 years to fill in when guys start cashing bigger checks.

Plus I'd rather have the #1 and #12 guys on my list over #1 and #22 and whatever pick we added through a Georgiev trade. Especially if I'm one of the teams that feel there's notable drop off after #15.

I'm a huge believer that you can NEVER have too much talent and too much depth...I can see the value in pouncing on him if he's available at 22. its giving up assets to move up a couple spots within the same tier that i'm not sure about.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm a huge believer that you can NEVER have too much talent and too much depth...I can see the value in pouncing on him if he's available at 22. its giving up assets to move up a couple spots within the same tier that i'm not sure about.

I can certainly agree with you when it comes to the value of having a volume of talent. I just think there's a bit more value held in your #1 and #12 guys as opposed to your #1, #22, and say #40 in this draft. If the Rangers see Guhle as a guy with real top-pairing upside and a Grieg and TBD as guys as longer shots with lower ceilings, to me it's a no-brainer. Of course I'm filling in valuations where I can't guess as to what they're thinking, but I'd have to imagine that if Guhle is sniffing their top-10 that they see quite a bit of potential in him.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I can certainly agree with you when it comes to the value of having a volume of talent. I just think there's a bit more value held in your #1 and #12 guys as opposed to your #1, #22, and say #40 in this draft. If the Rangers see Guhle as a guy with real top-pairing upside and a Grieg and TBD as guys as longer shots with lower ceilings, to me it's a no-brainer. Of course I'm filling in valuations where I can't guess as to what they're thinking, but I'd have to imagine that if Guhle is sniffing their top-10 that they see quite a bit of potential in him.

well that is the big wild card if you see him as a top pair guy, i'm not sure if he is. I don't really care about #12 vs #22 cause that has little meaning without comparing specific players. if you have guhle on a higher tier than it makes sense, but if he's on the board at 16+ he could fall into the same tier as the guy you'd get at 22.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
well that is the big wild card if you see him as a top pair guy, i'm not sure if he is. I don't really care about #12 vs #22 cause that has little meaning without comparing specific players. if you have guhle on a higher tier than it makes sense, but if he's on the board at 16+ he could fall into the same tier as the guy you'd get at 22.

Yeah I'm just piecing bits together. I would think that if the Rangers have him that high on their list, perhaps they see that level of upside. Could be overselling it though for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad