NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 14th Overall Pick

Who Should the Edmonton Oilers Select 14th Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 13th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes select Yaroslav Askarov with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski
2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury
3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim
4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw
5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie
6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda
7. The New Jersey Devils select Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens
8. The Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa
9. The Minnesota Wild select Anton Lundell, C, HIFK
10. The Winnipeg Jets select Jake Sanderson, D, USA NTDP
11. The Nashville Predators select Seth Jarvis, RW, Portland
12. The Florida Panthers select Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa
13. The Carolina Hurricanes select Yaroslav Askarov, G, SKA St. Petersburg

The Edmonton Oilers are on the clock...

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Comes down to Schneider or Guhle pretty easily for me.

I personally prefer Schneider, so I'll take him. Going to give Edmonton management a little more credit than Florida's.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Guhle and Schneider are strong considerations here. But I'm going to go off the path with this selection.

I think the Oilers go for a "support" forward that compliments their high-end offensive talent.

I think they end up choosing between Amirov, Holloway and Mercer here.

Gut call, they go for the Western Canadian kid with top-end speed in Holloway, figuring he can provide a ROI with what they have in place.

Reactions: bobbop

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
BPA is defense, but I agree with Edge that they could be looking for help up front. Their bottom 6 is still in flux. RNH is a year from UFA. Yes, Draisatl and McDavid lock in their top 6 center spots, but they are not flush with forward prospects.

Their last two top picks have been defense. Broberg and Bouchard. They have some other young players like Bear and Jones.

Based on the players left, I would think the Oilers move down. No 2nd rounder. No 3rd rounder. No 4th rounder. Someone looking for defense could move up here.

I'll say this is the spot for Guhle/Schneider and someone will move up to get one of them.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think Guhle and Schneider are strong considerations here. But I'm going to go off the path with this selection.

I think the Oilers go for a "support" forward that compliments their high-end offensive talent.

Gut call, they go for the Western Canadian kid with top-end speed in Holloway, figuring he can provide a ROI with what they have in place.
I followed the same line of thinking and wound up with Mercer as the pick based on the higher perceived offensive upside.

(I also find myself wondering how much the Western Canadian kid thing plays here, given he chose the NCAA route over the CHL...)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I followed the same line of thinking and wound up with Mercer as the pick based on the higher perceived offensive upside.

(I also find myself wondering how much the Western Canadian kid thing plays here, given he chose the NCAA route over the CHL...)

I think he could be heading to the WHL.

In fact I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think teams want him away from Wisconsin. Not necessarily COVID related.
Interesting.

Though I should point out that my comment was more directed to the fact that a kid who originally decided to go to the NCAA over the CHL doesn't strike me as the type who will be loyal to CAL/EDM as he approaches UFA simply based on where he grew up.

(Granted a lot can change between 18 and 25-27.)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
They should take one of my favorite prospects Dawson Mercer but they probably pick someone else

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

When I look at their options at 14, I can't help but think they should either move up in the draft or trade this pick for help now. If I'm the Oilers I would do what I could to get Askarov. I think their goalie situation is just OK. If Askarov comes over in 2 years it's a good move. Plus they did have one of the best left-handed goalies in NHL history...

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
i think Zary and Mercer are BPA, so it looks like i'll be voting Zary for the next couple picks.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
True but how likely is it that the WHL will even have a season being divided across 2 countries?

They do have an issue with their Portland Ore. and Washington based teams. The bulk of their teams are in Canada. FWIW Plymouth Mich. and Erie Pa. are in the OHL. I would think they would try to find temporary locations.

Anyway the Winnipeg Ice acquired his WHL rights from the Everett Silvertips.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
They do have an issue with their Portland Ore. and Washington based teams. The bulk of their teams are in Canada. FWIW Plymouth Mich. and Erie Pa. are in the OHL. I would think they would try to find temporary locations.

Anyway the Winnipeg Ice acquired his WHL rights from the Everett Silvertips.

Actually, it's Erie, Flint and Saginaw.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->