NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 12th Overall Pick

Who Should the Florida Panthers Select 12th Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 11th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Nashville Predators select Seth Jarvis with Portland of the WHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski
2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury
3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim
4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw
5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie
6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda
7. The New Jersey Devils select Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens
8. The Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa
9. The Minnesota Wild select Anton Lundell, C, HIFK
10. The Winnipeg Jets select Jake Sanderson, D, USA NTDP
11. The Nashville Predators select Seth Jarvis, RW, Portland

The Florida Panthers are on the clock...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Quinn is theoretically the highest rated player on the board. But I'm gonna go off the beaten path here again and say that Florida takes a flyer on Guhle.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hmm tough one

Their top 3 prospects are Knight, Tippet and Densienko so maybe they take a defenseman

I'll say Schneider, they have some decent LD prospects already so RD would make sense

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm going to go off the board here a bit, and say Holloway. He was in this area before the season, and if they think he'll stick as a C long term...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Went with Guhle here. Think Mercer might also be on their radar but their blue line pipeline really stands out as being pretty poor. I think Gildon is the only guy that really looks like he's coming in the next year or two.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Went with Guhle here. Think Mercer might also be on their radar but their blue line pipeline really stands out as being pretty poor. I think Gildon is the only guy that really looks like he's coming in the next year or two.

I can't tell you why, but Guhle just feels like a Florida pick.

Quinn goes to Carolina.

Askarov to Edmonton

Schneider to Toronto.

At 16, Montreal has both Mercer and Lapierre on the board, as well as Bourque.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Going completely off the board and saying Lapierre. Florida is a mess and I can see them wanting to take a big swing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I can't tell you why, but Guhle just feels like a Florida pick.

Quinn goes to Carolina.

Askarov to Edmonton

Schneider to Toronto.

At 16, Montreal has both Mercer and Lapierre on the board, as well as Bourque.

And with Askarov off the board, Chicago trades back to 22 to acquire Georgiev. Rangers pass on Mercer/Lapierre at 17 to take Grieg and everyone loses their minds. ;)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
And with Askarov off the board, Chicago trades back to 22 to acquire Georgiev. Rangers pass on Mercer/Lapierre at 17 to take Grieg and everyone loses their minds. ;)
If that happened and they passed on Mercer and then devils took him at 18 the heads should roll

Reactions: mas0764

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Oh that would definitely prolong the amount of time it takes to get the servers back online.

Sort of feels like we could be looking at another year where the Rangers board isn't necessarily aligned with the public ones. Definitely some favorites being thrown around here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sort of feels like we could be looking at another year where the Rangers board isn't necessarily aligned with the public ones. Definitely some favorites being thrown around here.

Certainly possible. It could also come down to what tiers they put certain players in.

For example, they could really like Mercer but not necessarily see him as being in a different tier than a guy who is likely to be on the board 22. In that case, they won't be inclined to trade up for him.

That could have an impact on how they approach offers for Georgiev. If they view several guys as being more or less on the same tier, they might not have an interest in using Georgiev to trade up. They could very well be happy to swap Georgiev for one of Nashville's second round picks.

There's a lot of potential directions for the Rangers and its really hard to predict which way they'll go.

There's Lafreniere and then a whole lot of tea leaf reading.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Florida wants a defenseman and Guhle would be the one I would take.

Yeah, I get the Quinn thing and it makes sense logically.

But I keep looking at Guhle and seeing Florida there.

I think this pick potentially holds the key to how the next 10 end up going.

If they go with Guhle, I think Carolina takes Quinn.

If they go with Quinn, I think Carolina takes Askarov and Guhle might slide a little.

If Carolina takes Askarov, I think Edmonton possibly goes with Mercer or even Holloway.

Toronto would then go with Schneider.

At 16, Montreal's choice could be dictated by whether Edmonton takes Merver or Holloway. I think there's a very good chance the Habs pick one of Mercer, Lapierre or Bourque.

At 17, Chicago is watching where Askarov goes and possibly tries to trade up with Florida if they don't think he lasts. If they move up, Florida potentially takes Guhle here. I also think Guhle is a cadidate for Chicago here, along with Mercer if he's still on the board.

If Chicago can't move up, this is a possible move-down slot for them if they and the Rangers have an interest in connecting.

Then you have the NJ and Ottawa getting into picks where they could take bigger swings. NJ could consider Holloway if he's still on the board, but may opt for Amirov at the spot. I could see them taking a swing for someone like Gunler here. That would be some potent wing potential from this draft.

Calgary might be a landing spot for someone like Zary, who scouts and fans are somewhat divided on.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, I get the Quinn thing and it makes sense logically.

But I keep looking at Guhle and seeing Florida there.

I think this pick potentially holds the key to how the next 10 end up going.

If they go with Guhle, I think Carolina takes Quinn.

If they go with Quinn, I think Carolina takes Askarov and Guhle might slide a little.

If Carolina takes Askarov, I think Edmonton possibly goes with Mercer or even Holloway.

Toronto would then go with Schneider.

At 16, Montreal's choice could be dictated by whether Edmonton takes Merver or Holloway. I think there's a very good chance the Habs pick one of Mercer, Lapierre or Bourque.

At 17, Chicago is watching where Askarov goes and possibly tries to trade up with Florida if they don't think he lasts. If they move up, Florida potentially takes Guhle here. I also think Guhle is a cadidate for Chicago here, along with Mercer if he's still on the board.

If Chicago can't move up, this is a possible move-down slot for them if they and the Rangers have an interest in connecting.

Then you have the NJ and Ottawa getting into picks where they could take bigger swings. NJ could consider Holloway if he's still on the board, but may opt for Amirov at the spot. I could see them taking a swing for someone like Gunler here. That would be some potent wing potential from this draft.

Calgary might be a landing spot for someone like Zary, who scouts and fans are somewhat divided on.

Even if you switched the Florida and Toronto picks around Guhle makes more sense for the Panthers and Schneider more sense for the Leafs.

Cam Ward led Carolina to their only Cup early in his career but after that he was never really a top flight goaltender. Askarov has real potential to give the Canes something they've never had--a franchise goaltender. I like Quinn a lot but I don't know how the Canes can pass that up. I also think the Canes are young enough and talented enough and have pretty much all the other bases covered more than less and they also have two 2nd rounders courtesy of us for Fox. There's some chance that one of Perreault, Peterka or Reichel will still be sitting around when they pick again at 41 so IMO they should go for the goaltender.

So I see Edmonton with either Quinn or Mercer. Toronto with Schneider and Montreal will pick up whichever of Mercer or Quinn is still around. Certainly Mercer--he being a QMJHL'er. I'd be shocked if New Jersey didn't take one of Gunler or Amirov--I could also see them reaching for a D--maybe a Wallinder, Grans or O'Rourke. Calgary will go with either Holloway or Zary--I'd hope Zary but Holloway's a Calgary area guy and his kind of game seems to me like a Calgary game. Columbus I don't know---they could do a lot of things.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Even if you switched the Florida and Toronto picks around Guhle makes more sense for the Panthers and Schneider more sense for the Leafs.

Cam Ward led Carolina to their only Cup early in his career but after that he was never really a top flight goaltender. Askarov has real potential to give the Canes something they've never had--a franchise goaltender. I like Quinn a lot but I don't know how the Canes can pass that up. I also think the Canes are young enough and talented enough and have pretty much all the other bases covered more than less and they also have two 2nd rounders courtesy of us for Fox. There's some chance that one of Perreault, Peterka or Reichel will still be sitting around when they pick again at 41 so IMO they should go for the goaltender.

So I see Edmonton with either Quinn or Mercer. Toronto with Schneider and Montreal will pick up whichever of Mercer or Quinn is still around. Certainly Mercer--he being a QMJHL'er. I'd be shocked if New Jersey didn't take one of Gunler or Amirov--I could also see them reaching for a D--maybe a Wallinder, Grans or O'Rourke. Calgary will go with either Holloway or Zary--I'd hope Zary but Holloway's a Calgary area guy and his kind of game seems to me like a Calgary game. Columbus I don't know---they could do a lot of things.

Personally, I think Jarvis going 11th changed things up for teams as well.

I think Toronto either goes with Schneider or they go with Askarov if he's there and the former isn't.

Askarov makes sense for the Canes, but I suspect Kochetkov might push them in the direction of adding Quinn in this instance.

Interestingly enough, if the Rangers had remained in their original position, and Lundell and Sanderson were off the board (and the Rangers were unable to trade up), I think Guhle may have been their pick.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Schneider or Guhle feels like a strong balance of BPA and need, but Quinn is difficult to pass on.

That said, I have less faith in how Florida is run than most franchises, so we're going to heavily weigh need. And I like Schneider more than Guhle; so Guhle it is.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally, I think Jarvis going 11th changed things up for teams as well.

I think Toronto either goes with Schneider or they go with Askarov if he's there and the former isn't.

Askarov makes sense for the Canes, but I suspect Kochetkov might push them in the direction of adding Quinn in this instance.

Interestingly enough, if the Rangers had remained in their original position, and Lundell and Sanderson were off the board (and the Rangers were unable to trade up), I think Guhle may have been their pick.

For the purposes of this exercise the Jarvis pick certainly changed things. That's kind of the war games part of it I guess--you expect someone to do one thing and instead they do something different that crosses things up and that happens every draft and may happen several times before we pick at 22. Still I think in this case Florida really does go for Guhle and not for Jarvis or Quinn.

Personally if I'm Carolina--Kochetkov or not I'm still going with Askarov but maybe you're right. If Carolina is passing on him though it might be time for us to start planning an intervention. We're down to four guys right now--Askarov, Quinn, Mercer and Guhle I'm willing to move up to get and Mercer looks like he's going off the board and then we'll be at three. Once those guys are gone I'm staying put where I am or moving down if we get a good enough offer.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For the purposes of this exercise the Jarvis pick certainly changed things. That's kind of the war games part of it I guess--you expect someone to do one thing and instead they do something different that crosses things up and that happens every draft and may happen several times before we pick at 22. Still I think in this case Florida really does go for Guhle and not for Jarvis or Quinn.

Personally if I'm Carolina--Kochetkov or not I'm still going with Askarov but maybe you're right. If Carolina is passing on him though it might be time for us to start planning an intervention. We're down to four guys right now--Askarov, Quinn, Mercer and Guhle I'm willing to move up to get and Mercer looks like he's going off the board and then we'll be at three. Once those guys are gone I'm staying put where I am or moving down if we get a good enough offer.

This part of the draft is just so interesting to me because it really impacts the landscape of the entire first round.

A trade or two changes things dramatically. A riser or two has the same impact. You start looking at some interesting names that can go anywhere from 12 to 22 and you can make a solid case for either outcome.

It's why I've never had a particular desire to do a freestyle mock draft on my own. There are so many variables that can produce a completely different result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad