Mock Draft (non-playoff teams)

Discussion in 'Mock Drafts' started by misfit, Apr 23, 2011.

1. misfit

misfit 5-14-6-1

Since the first round hasn't even finished yet, it's impossible to say what the full draft order is going to be, so here is my mock draft based on the picks we know for sure:

1. :edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C
    - The Oilers could clearly go a lot of ways here. They have a lot of needs, and even BPA isn't exactly clear. But RNH seems to be as close to the consensus #1 as we're going to get in this draft, he does fill a need in the organization, and the Oilers scouting staff seems to like the dub. This seems like the obvious pick.

2. :avs - Addam Larsson, D
    - I'm not sure any team drafts better than the Avalanche, and they do it by taking the best players on the board when it's their turn to pick. Larsson has been the only real contention to RNH for the 1st overall pick, and his upside is scary. I know a lot of people would have Landeskog here, and that's clearly a possibility, but I think they go with upside. Colorado also isn't afraid to go a little off the board at times, so I could see a surprise here, but I'm not going to try to predict one.

3. :panthers - Gabriel Landeskog, LW
    - The Panthers are another team who have a lot of needs and could go a few ways with this pick. It's really a question of who they like best out of Landeskog/Couturier/Huberdeau/Strome. They probably need a center more, but Landeskog seems like a Tallon pick and you could definitely argue that he's BPA here as well.

4. :devils - Sean Couturier, C
    - Jacques Lemaire is going to love this pick. SC really seems to be falling down on draft boards lately, but the Devils have had a lot of success with big, two way centermen who can score (Arnott, Holik, Rolston), and Couturier should fill the same type of role.

5. :isles - Jonathan Huberdeau, C
    - I think everyone is expecting either Murphy or Hamilton here as defense seems to be a bigger need, but you've got to go with the best player on the board when you're a team with a lot of needs, and Huberdeau would be tough for them to pass up.

6. :sens - Ryan Strome, C
    - This is probably the part in the draft where the next wave of defensemen are going to start coming off the board, but you have to think that a defenseman would have to be quite a bit higher on the Sens' list than the next forward for them to take one here. Strome has put up some staggering numbers this year, and should really give Ottawa some nice depth at center a few years from now.

7. :thrashers - Dougie Hamilton, D
    - Big, mobile, puts up points from the back end. This is a very complete player, and Dudley is going to love him.

8. :cbj - Ryan Murphy, D
    - The Jackets may be a little sad to see Hamilton go one spot before them, but there's a chance Murphy ends up being the best player in this draft. Unfortunately, that day is probably 5-6 years down the road. With the Bluejackets wanting to improve their team a little more quickly than that, I could see this pick being moved too.

9. :bruins - Duncan Siemens, D
    - He's a big defenseman, arguably the best player left on the board, and seems like a good fit in Boston. In their last 19 picks, the Bruins have only selected 3 defensemen, and 2 of them were 7th rounders. They also haven't taken a defenseman in the first round since Lashoff in 2005. I'd say they're due.

10. :wild - Joel Armia, RW
    - This seems like an obvious pick given their love for Finns, but if it was that simple, you'd have to think they would've taken Pulkkinen at some point last year instead of passing on him 3 times after taking his WJC teammate in th3 1st. That said, Armia definitely warrants consideration here on talent alone, and the Wild are hardly in a position to be passing on a 6'3" goal-scoring winger like Armia.

11. :avs - Mika Zibanejad, C
    - The rich get richer here as Colorado snatches up a forward who's stock has done nothing but rise this year. The Avs love his skill, size, and versatility and happily make the selection. I could also see them trading down from this spot if the value is there, but probably not if Zibanejad is on the board.

12. :canes - Mark McNeil, C
    - Possibly a little early for this player, but Carolina has never been afraid to take a player earlier than expected to get their guy. Another thing that's clear with the way the Hurricanes draft is that they often look to the CHL to get their players.

2. SixthSens

SixthSens RIP Fugu

I've got a strange feeling about Strome (just don't feel his potential), and if we were in a position where Couturier and Huberdeau are both gone by the time we pick, I'd rather Ottawa go with Hamilton then take a forward with the Nashville pick.

3. mloyko

mloyko Registered User

I would say the Bruins who rarely pick defensmen high during the Chiarelli administration, would be much more likely to go Mika Zibanejad. And if they did go defense their #1 choice would be Murphy if hes not their Beaulieu would make more sense in my opinion.

4. Pajicz

Pajicz Registered User

Student
    Don't think so... he has retired months ago.

5. McManked

McManked Ooh to be a Gooner

REFEREE/UMPIRE
    That's insane. I've seen Strome play multiple times and he is very, very good. Why would we take a defenceman?

6. JumpierPegasus

JumpierPegasus GRANlunD LARSENy

Great mock. So far at least.

One change I'd make is Zibanejad going to the Bruins with Siemens dropping... probably not ot Colorado (Larsson), but maybe to Carolina.