Mock draft from a King

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
1-Chicago: Kyle Turris
While it has been speculated that the Blackhawks are interested in both Turris and Kane, Turris is the safer pick. He's big, strong and plays more of a 2-way game. The only problem with drafting him is he hasn't had the competition as of yet. Great Mentality and work ethic.

2-Philadelphia: James Van Riesmsdyk
Philadelphia won't pass up this Power Forward in the making. Even with Kane still available, The flyers have always picked size over skill. Van Riesmsdyk has the tools to be a dominating forward in a few years

3-Phoenix: Patrick Kane
Obviously with Kane still available, Phoenix snatches up Kane without hesitation. Led the OHL in points as a rookie, there's no denying his offensive capabilities.

4-Los Angeles: Karl Alzner
With a lot of young forwards in the organisation and an aging defensive corps, LA picks up the top all around defensemen in Alzner. He'll be a great complement for Jack Johnson in a few years.

5-Washington: Alexei Cherepanov
It's a tough choice between Voracek and Cherepanov, but Washington has a history of drafting Russians. They take a chance on Cherepanov at number 5. Looking towards the future he'll be a great addition to an already great russian duo.

6-Edmonton: Jakub Voracek
Edmonton is happy to snatch up Voracek at number 6. As a rookie he led the Moosehead in assists and points in just 59 games. He is one of the most NHL ready prospects in this years draft, but would be best served to have one more year to dominate the Q.

7- Columbus: Nick Petrecki
In a bit of a surprise Columbus picks Nick Petrecki. A 2-way defensemen. Possibly the most physical defensemen in the draft. Columbus needs a guy like him, a real character guy.

8-Boston: Sam Gagner
Possibly the most impressive prospect at the combine, his preformance garanteed him a top 10 position and Boston could use a top notch forward prospect as they've had a hard time in past drafts. Gagner is a very safe bet to one day see the NHL ice.

9-St-Louis: Keaton Ellerby
At number 9 the blues pick who they think is the best player available, defensemen, Keaton Ellerby. At 6"4" 174 lbs., Ellerby needs to add a lot of muscle before he is to be considered NHL ready. He is already in his third full season in the WHL, he has always been defensively responsible and his offensive game has been improving.

10-Florida: Ryan McDonaugh
Florida picks intriguing defensive prospect Ryan McDonaugh. He will more than likelt be playing in the USHL next season, i'm not too familiar with him, but i hear only good things.

11-Carolina: Lars Eller
The big swede (from Denmark, lol) could be the steal of the draft if he develops as i think he will. He could easily get called int he top 10, but if he falls past that, Carolina will pick him with the 11th.

12-Monteal: Maxim Mayorov
The Canadiens always seem to draft from europe/russia. Mayorov is a great playmaker and fairly good skater. I think he may turn out to be a better NHLer than Cherepanov, but he may fall farther because of the lack of CBA.

13-Toronto: Mikael Backlund
A very talented swede, might be the most talented in years. He missed some time due to injury, if he wouldn't have he could possibly have gone in the top 10. Leafs would be extatic to have him fall onto their laps at 13th.

14-Colorado: Angelo Esposito
Once a highly touted prospect, his stock has fallen some, but he is still considered a 1st rounder. Colorado seems a good fit for him in the future.

15-Edmonton: Tommy Cross
Having picked a forward at #6, Edmonton picks US defensemen Tommy Cross in hopes he turns out to be a greta puck moving defensemen in a few years.

16-Anaheim: David Perron
I seen some people say that they think this guy will be the bust in the first round and i beg to differ. This guy will be the real deal, he's a slippery, crafty forward and the puck just seems to be magnetised to his stick. His stickhandling reminds me of Crosby, but of course he doesn't have the finish.

17-New York Rangers: Max Pacioretty
A physical player witht he skills to match, The Rangers draft another hulking player in hopes he doesn't bust liek it appears Hugh Jessiman has. From what i've read, he reiminds a lot of people of Rick Nash, which is a nice person to be compared to.

18-Calgary Flames: Zach Hamill
Calgary drafts a lot of players out of the WHL and this year will be no different, as they draft speedy winder Zach Hamill. He has all the tools to become and NHL player in the future. His offense isn't the question, but like so many young prospects, his defense is the question.

19-Minnesota: Colton Gillies
The Wild pickj a lot fo big players.. Gillies is a big two way forward, but i think he's a very risky 1st rounder.

20-Pittsburgh: Dana Tyrell
Had an impressive showing at the combine, he has a great work ethic and plays hard 100% of the time. He may not be the most skilled, but he is a quality prospect that could turn out to be a nice energy forward.

21- Phoenix: Jeremy Smith
Witht he lack of good goalie prospects in the system, Phoenix takes the top ranked goalie, Jeremy Smith who will now be the starter in Plymouth of the OHL.

22- Montreal: Johnathan Blum
Blum needs to add some muscle in the next few years, but he showed some great hockey sense and offensive awareness this past seaosn playing for the Memorial Cup champions, Vancouver Giants in the WHL.

23- Philadelphia: Billy Sweatt
at 18, Sweatt has already player one seaosn of NCAA hockey where he did fairly good notching 9 goals, 17 assists for 26 points in 30 games. His biggest asset is his blazing speed, which makes him a worthy 1st rounder.

24- St-Louis: Brett MacLean
MacLean put up 100 points this past season, but it remains to be seen if that was because of his skills or playing with John Tavares. His name will surely get called int he late first round as a team will take a chance on this one

25- Vancouver: Logan Couture
Couture has excelllent hands and should continue developping in the next few years. His game could use more physical play if he intends to make an impact at a higher level.

26- St-Louis: Joakim Andersson
Joakim Andersson played 1 game in the SEL this past season. He should look for more playing time in the top league next season.

27- Detroit: Patrick White
US born player Patrick White dominated his high school league before playing 12 games in the USHL and recording 8 goals. He also had a great showing at the World Juniors.

28- Washington Capitals: Colby Cohen
Big, Physical, Offensively talented. Cohen is all these things. Playing in the USHL all last season, he recorded 60 pts in just 53 games whihc is amazing for a defensemen. He also added 110 PIMs.His defensive game does need some work as does his skating.

29-Ottawa: Akim Aliu
A big physical forward with tons of skills. His stock has fallen because of attitude problems, but i still see a team taking a chance on him in the late first round. He showed very well at the combine and will get increased playing time in the OHL next season

30-Edmonton: Brandon Sutter
He's a Sutter, which means he's a very hard working two way player and has great hockey sense. Put up decent numbers, playing on the second line. Edmonton drafts the Alberta boy with a great hockey heritage.

Last edited:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Don't worry, at least someone is willing to comment on your mock... I like it a lot, adn I'd be happy with Backlund at 13. I'd be very surprised if Hamill fell to Calgary but he would be a nice fit there as well.

jeff88_5

May 24, 2007
I thnik i'm going to kill Bob Gainey if he drafts Mayorov Instead of Espo, or Backlund, or Perron, or Hamill.

The_Hockey_Guy18

Dec 27, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Nicely done, however you should note that Lars Eller is from Denmark, therefore not making him a "big swede". Don't get this mixed up with the fact that he plays in the Junior league in Sweden.

P2

Sep 30, 2004
Great work on the mock draft - my only comment is "Kyle Turris" & "big & strong" aren't often seen in the same sentence. He's got the potential to be an excellent player (in the Sakic mold) & may well be taken by the Hawks (probably without regret) but if it's hard to imagine him ever topping 175 lb. or so.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
IMO Kane isnt going to be there at 3 for the Yotes. I just dont see JVR getting drafted ahead of Kane. Other then that its a pretty good mock.
Only thing I would like to add is the Kings would be crazy to pass on Alzner at 4. They really have no top end defensive prospects outside of Johnson.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
it is possible philly takes jvr, but the part the take size over skill, not in the last couple of drafts, things have changed in philly. it took us a long time, but skill is a necessity. mind you a team needs a mix nof size and skill. as the ducks have shown with there big team that won the big one.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
it is possible philly takes jvr, but the part the take size over skill, not in the last couple of drafts, things have changed in philly. it took us a long time, but skill is a necessity. mind you a team needs a mix nof size and skill. as the ducks have shown with there big team that won the big one.

only way the Flyers take JVR is if they trade down IMO.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I don't disagree with your mock at all, I'm only here to say that if the Pens pass on Sweatt, I'll be upset. He's a guy I really want them to take. Tyrell to me seems to be another Colby Armstrong with a smaller body. (nothing terrible, but we need some capable wingers in the system)

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
Turris

Thanks for all the insight.. as for my big and strong comment on Turris, it was meant as hard to move off the puck, he plays hard and i could very see him being that Joe Sakic type player down the road. They say that this years draft is weak. It's weak in the sense that there's no Sidney Crosby type player, but there are quite a few evenly matched players in the first round. Evenly matched enough that anyone could go anywheres after the the top 5-6. Could be interesting.

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Only thing I would like to add is the Kings would be crazy to pass on Alzner at 4. They really have no top end defensive prospects outside of Johnson.

Indeed. A lot of Kings fans are excited about some of the lower round D-men acquired in the last draft, particularly Hersley. However, the organization really needs another blue-chipper behind JJ. If they can get Alzner, I think they need to take him and run.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I also feel like Gilles is a bit of a bad choice for a first round pick. From what I've read it doesn't sound like he's got the talent you'd want. Drafting for size often results in a lot of busts in the middle of the first.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
29-Ottawa: Akim Aliu
A big physical forward with tons of skills. His stock has fallen because of attitude problems, but i still see a team taking a chance on him in the late first round. He showed very well at the combine and will get increased playing time in the OHL next season

Disclaimer: I have nowhere near enough knowledge about each team's needs, and the abilities of each prospect to do a full mock draft, so, I'm not criticizing your abilities on this at all, just pointing out an interesting bit of irony.

Akim Aliu's troubles in Sudbury had to do with ice time. Specifically, the rumour was, that he was unhappy with the ice time that coach Mike Foligno was giving to his son Nick, at the expense of other players.

Nick Foligno is a prospect of Ottawa's, who will be joining the team's AHL team next year. Rumour also has it that Mike Foligno may be hired to be the team's new AHL coach.

I can safely say that Ottawa probably isn't too eager to bring Akim Aliu on board as a prospect, since, I doubt he has any intention of playing for Mike Foligno any time soon.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
I don't think Couture is gonna drop that low, he's gonna get picked in the top 10. For Ottawa, with the attitude problems we heard about Aliu, we're probably gonna stay away from him unless he's still there in the 3rd round or so.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Nice work.

The Canadiens always seem to draft from europe/russia.

Bob Gainey has never drafted a european player in the first 2 rounds since he's with the Canadiens.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I like your draft - especially at the top end (with possible exception on Cherepanov - think Voracek goes before him). Like the way you have seeded in some players going higher than expected. This tends to happen every draft as teams see players differently or look to particular needs. Again i would be surprised to see Couture drop that far. Hard to believe that players like Smith or Tyrell would be drafted earlier than him.

Moller and Hjalmarson probably go in the first round. Not including Hickey or Shattenkirk in the first round does not seem that out of line to me.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
This misconception that the Flyers always pick size over skill has got to stop. recent first round picks that are under 6 feet include Simon Gagne, Justin Williams, Steve Downie, Mike Richards, and Claude Giroux. The only Big players we have drafted in the first round over the last ten years are Pitkanen (no brainer pick), Woywitka, Carter, and Ouellette (a goalie).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->