NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft for February [3 Rounds]

newdimension

May 18, 2013
It's a new month, which means it's time for another edition of my mock draft. This time around, I'm going to do the first 3 rounds. I'll eventually do an entire mock by the time June rolls around. Anyhow, some notes:

1. I'm just a fan. I'm not a scout or anything like that. I don't get to see every single player, but I do like to research and look into players. I'm also not an expect on what every team needs or how they draft. Basically, it's all for fun.

2. I like to use comparisons for players because it's fun to look back x amount of years in the future and see how right/wrong I was. Not everyone is going to become the exact duplicate of their comparable -- that'd be insane to think that. I look at different things when comparing; such as play style, size/height, draft history and so on. I usually put a reasoning why I compare the two, as well.

3. The draft order is based off rankings as of the night before Superbowl Sunday. It's also a post-playoff format draft. As of now, I'm predicting a Tampa Bay-Washington ECF; and a Winnipeg-San Jose WCF. In the Stanley Cup Finals, I then predict Tampa Bay beating Winnipeg, giving them the last selection in each round.

4. As for the lottery, I've used: 2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon. The results are as follows: 1. Anaheim; 2. New Jersey; 3. Los Angeles.

Round 1 ::

1. Anaheim: Jack Hughes, C
After a disastrous season of injuries, poor play, awful coaching, losing streaks and more, they finally catch a big break by winning first overall. It's a solid prize, too. Jack Hughes is an elite offensive driver that can play center or wing, giving them a huge boost. I think there's a chance that they might also think hard on Kakko... but Hughes is the clear-cut number one at the end, so they go with him.
Comparison: To me, he's sort of a blend of Johnny Gaudreau or Patrick Kane type, but with more playmaking and assists than goals, if that makes sense.

2. New Jersey: Kaapo Kakko, RW
Kakko would be great for them. Not only would it make Taylor Hall considering re-signing for longer, showing that they have a good future; but he adds even scoring upfront. They'd happily run up the board and take him if they win the 2nd overall.
Comparison: Mikko Rantanen. A big, all-around, competitive, two-way forward with excellent skill, who is also capable of playing center. He could probably contribute as soon as possible.

3. Los Angeles: Dylan Cozens, C
His combination of size, (especially) speed and goal scoring makes him the future Jeff Carter replacement that they desperately need. His only real drawback is the lack of hockey IQ; but I think he can negate that simply by blowing past the competition or running through them.
Comparison: I think he becomes something of a Mika Zibanejad-to-Patrick Marleau type of center. In short, a speedy, goal scorer that can get plenty of shots on net, but also has some good size and sneaky good two-way play. Early in his career, Marleau was a center-wing and played in a similar fashion.

4. Colorado [from Ottawa]: Bowen Byram, D
His play these past few weeks is solidifying him as a top talent and pushing him up the draft board. For Ottawa, they'll hope Brady Tkachuk was worth it because Byram has the makings of a potential top pairing, two-way defenseman. It'd give the Avs someone to pair with Cale Makar, giving them an elite pairing for years to come.
Comparison: Mark Giordano. A do-it-all type of defenseman that skates well with and without the puck, providing both shutdown and offensive pressure, who isn't afraid to take the body, as well.

5. Chicago: Alex Turcotte, C
The Hawks get their guy in Turcotte. He's a local kid and would bolster their depth down the middle, even with the addition of Dylan Strome. He's been hastily rising up the draft board and with the Hawks loving to draft locally, he makes a perfect addition.
Comparison: Brayden Point. He's an extremely fast, two-way center that plays offense and defense at an extremely fast and accelerated rate. He can produce at all areas of the ice.

6. Detroit: Kirby Dach, C
The Wings love taking big guys and it'd give them some more depth at center beyond Dylan Larkin. His lack of production as of late might have him slipping out of the top 5, but Detroit could feel he'd make a perfect setup man for a guy such as Filip Zadina.
Comparison: Ryan Johansen. He's a big, 6'4", playmaking center that opts to be a pass-first player. There are issues with his skating, which might prevent him from reaching his upper level.

7. Florida: Philip Broberg, D
I know some have him slipping later in the draft. For me, I still think some team would love his upside and takes him relatively high. This, of course, screams like something the Panthers would do, putting them in good position to draft him, considering their love of bigger players.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably a Rasmus Ristolainen type of defenseman -- a guy that skates incredibly well, puts plenty of shots on the board and also has some defensive issues from time to time.

8. Edmonton: Peyton Krebs, C/LW
Peyton Krebs has looked tremendous and like a future top line player, all while playing on a very poor team. In essence, it's exactly what the Oilers need. Not only that, but he's an Alberta-born kid, making it almost a picture-perfect pairing. His speed, tenacity and skill would make an extremely welcome addition. He's been a riser and could climb even higher by season's end.
Comparison: Something of a Dylan Larkin-Jaden Schwartz hybrid type. Speedy, offensive, two-way forward that can make a difference at every end of the ice, while putting up extensive point totals.

9. New York Rangers: Vasili Podkolzin, RW
The Rangers go back to Russia, taking Podkolzin, who'll join Vitali Kravtsov within the Rangers organization. He's ranked within the top 5, dropping only because of the Russian factor, giving the Rangers even more depth upfront as they continue building for the future.
Comparison: Timo Meier. Like Meier, he's big of a bulldog on ice. He can play a two-way game, play physical, has good hands and is a solid all-around type of top 6 talent.

10. Arizona: Matthew Boldy, LW
A big, aggressive, goal-scoring winger is probably what the Coyotes would love to add. Especially as someone to go along with some of their smaller, creative players. He'd make a nice complement to guys such as Clayton Keller and/or Conor Garland, giving them room, space and adding another potential goal scorer.
Comparison: Gabriel Landeskog. A power forward/complementary type that'd probably work well on a top line paired with skilled forwards. He can shoot the puck well and be a point-getter.

11. Buffalo [from St. Louis]: Trevor Zegras, C/LW
With the Blues working themselves up front the bottom, this pick slides over to the Sabres. At this point, they go with the best player available, with that being Zegras. He probably overlaps a little with a guy such as Casey Mittelstadt; but they could potentially move him to the wing, going for high skill.
Comparison: Mat Barzal. A little bit of a perimeter player, he owns plenty of playmaking skill and offensive ability, which would strengthen their top 6.

12. Philadelphia: Victor Soderstrom, D
With Carter Hart leading their resurgence, they're picking a little lower than originally thought. It seems like they need some work on defense, especially on the right side. Soderstrom would make a nice addition for them, helping them out with his puck-moving skills alone. They don't seem to draft out of Sweden often, but they do have some guys such as Ginning and Lindblom, making it a viable option.
Comparison: Matt Niskanen. I think he could become a mobile two-way defenseman that'll aide in transition, keep things calm in front of Carter Hart and even bring some physicality. Not a huge point getter, but someone that'll be effective enough to play in all situations.

13. Colorado: Spencer Knight, G
I know drafting goalies this high is quite controversial, so maybe the Avs trade back a few spots -- but I think people will be surprised at how high he goes. Teams have seen how an elite goalie such as Carter Hart or Carey Price can help lead teams over the edge into contention and I think he could go in the top half of the draft, especially if someone really likes him.
Comparison: Carey Price/John Gibson. He's a big, calm, cool goalie that's great under pressure and facing a lot of rubber. He has surefire top end potential.

14. Carolina: Connor McMichael, C
The Hurricanes would probably like to build up their center depth. They can grab McMichael, who's been rising up the rankings after playing hot all season long. He'd be an excellent kind of guy to take over from Jordan Staal in the future.
Comparison: Logan Couture. An all-around, goal scoring defenseman that does everything right, including play in his own end. Not the greatest of skating strides, but he gets work done, along with that lethal shot. Probably tops out as a really good 2nd line center.

15. Buffalo: Moritz Seider, D
Shoulder injuries might be an issue, but the Sabres often like drafting from overseas. They could see him being a good partner for Rasmus Dahlin, having both the ahtletic ability to keep up with him and the size.
Comparison: Erik Johnson. A big, mobile 6'4" defenseman with good skating and shutdown ability and physicality.

16. Vancouver: Arthur Kaliyev, LW
I know there's been a lot said about him: his lack of skating and willingness to compete. However, I think the Canucks could look at him and feel that Elias Pettersson could make him a star by being his setup man. Kind of similar to how he's worked well with Brock Boeser, the same thing could happen here.
Comparison: James van Riemsdyk. He's a big, goal-scoring, offensive winger that can look too lackadaisical at times, but can also put a lot of points on the board.

17. Minnesota: Cam York, D
There's never any telling what the Wild would do at the draft; ie: see last year. They tend to like building from the defense out, so they could go with the best player left on the board, which would be York, who could become a dependable playmaking defenseman.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably similar to a Charlie McAvoy type, complete with a little bit of understated grit in his game. Otherwise, maybe a Keith Yandle type, with Yandle making a good living as a simple, but effective puck mover.

18. Dallas: Nicholas Robertson, LW
Another riser, he joins his brother in Dallas, who incidentally love drafting out of the OHL. He's smaller than the type of player they usually like to draft, but they need to start adding some skill and he'd make a good fit for that role.
Comparison: Jonathan Marchessault. An undersized, highly offensive winger that's excellent and lighting the lamp and producing big offensive numbers.

19. Columbus: Alex Newhook, C/LW
They're going to need an offensive player in case Artemi Panarin departs. Newhook's been demolishing his competition in the BCHL; but when playing against his peers in international tournament, he's looked less than stellar, which causes his drop. At 19th overall, the Jackets would be happy add him, hoping he can become a top 6 forward.
Comparison: Kyle Connor. He's a complementary type of offensive player, owning great speed, scoring and even setup skills. There's questions on his upside since Tyson Jost hasn't worked out so far with the Avs; but he's putting up good numbers and could become a top 6 offensive forward.

20. Vegas: Brett Leason, RW
The Golden Knights seem like a team that'd be interested in Leason's services, even if he is a double overager. He's put up good numbers all year long, and even has the speed that their team loves, along with the size that their head scout loves.
Comparison: Alex Tuch. He's a big, mobile, athletic forward with good offensive skill and skating ability that'd probably make a good complement to a center such as Cody Glass.

21. Pittsburgh: Cole Caufield, RW
Standing only 5'7", he drops out of the top 20. However, Pittsburgh isn't going to let another Alex Debrincat situation happen, where a talented offensive enigma slips into the second. They grab Caufield, who actually fits the type of player they love to curate into their system -- undersized, American nd with plenty of offensive talent.
Comparison: Alex Debrincat. A pure sniper with the ability to score 30-40 per season. Like Debrincat, he's woefully undersized, making up for it with pure talent and scoring.

22. Boston: Ryan Suzuki, C
I could see a scenario in which Suzuki falls. If so, it's to the Bruins benefit, as they would like to add some depth down the middle. Inconsistent play has him tumbling down the board, but he's still a valuable asset, having the creative ability to make plays and be an assist machine.
Comparison: Nick Schmaltz. He's a pure playmaking forward with good speed and top 6 potential, as long as he can get his act together.

23. Montreal: Matthew Robertson, D
Not only would Robertson be the best player available at this position; but he'd also fit a huge positional need. Injuries and concussion concerns might drop him down the board, allowing for the Habs to take a look at him, feeling he'd make a good fit for their left side of defense.
Comparison: Jake Muzzin. He's a large, minute-eating defenseman that can both shutdown offense and owns a booming shot good enough to help produce offense.

24. Los Angeles [from Toronto]: Anttoni Honka, D
Last year, they went to Finland and got Rasmus Kupari. This year, they go for a boom-or-bust type of defenseman in Anttoni Honka. Undersized and with plenty of skill, Honka's been falling down draft boards because of poor defensive plays, lapses in judgement and his size. However, with the Kings owning 2 first rounders, they might take a gamble.
Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere. He's a high-risk/high-reward type of defenseman that can bring a lot of offense from the back.

25. Nashville: Ville Heinola, D
They've shown they're active in scouting Finland and are known to value defensemen very highly. Heinola has been sidelined since the WJC and is scheduled to return around mid-February. That should build his draft stock and prove he's top 31 material.
Comparison: Dennis Cholowski. A mobile, puck-moving offensive defenseman with good skill and top 4 potential.

26. New York Islanders: Raphael Lavoie, RW/C
The Islanders have a tendency to draft out of the QMJHL, thereby taking Lavoie might be of interest to them. He's probably a winger at the pro level, but the Isles could try him at center, giving them size and depth down there. His seasonal output hasn't lived up to expectations and it might drop him down some.
Comparison: He's probably a David Backes type of power forward that also has an ability to score goals. If not, maybe he fulfills a Pavel Zacha-like role as a depth power forward.

27. Calgary: Lassi Thomson, D
The Flames go to the Kelowna defense factory, grabbing a country-mate of Juuso Valimaki. He adds more offense from their blueline, keeping that area well-stocked.
Comparison: Justin Faulk. He's a mobile, offensive defenseman with a good shot from the point and can eat a lot of minutes.

28. Washington: Jakob Pelletier, LW
The Caps simply go for the best player available. He offers a lot of speed and adds depth on wing. They have a tendency to go forward over defense, so it seems reasonable.
Comparison: Max Domi, but more of a shooter instead of passer. He's an undersized, but energetic, speedy winger that'll go hard to the net to put up points. At minimum, he could become an Andrew Cogliano type of speedy energy winger.

29. Buffalo [from San Jose]: Nils Hoglander, LW
The Sabres love drafting out of Sweden. He's the best available and plays an incredibly energetic, speedy game. Undersized, standing only 5'9", he plays a buzzing style, kind of similar to a smaller power forward.
Comparison: Viktor Arvidsson. He's an undersized, but buzzing winger that's been coming on strong lately. It might even solidify himself in the top 31.

30. Winnipeg: Bobby Brink, RW
The Jets have a penchant for scouting and developing Americans. He's been destroying the USHL this season, with his only drawback being his lack of size. He might be of consideration for them at this spot.
Comparison: At top end, I think he's a Joe Pavelski-type. He doesn't impress in any one specific way, except his hockey IQ and scoring ability is through the roof, which, of course, enables him to score and play a smart two-way style.

31. New York Rangers [from Tampa Bay]: Ilya Nikolayev, C
In need of some center depth, the Rangers again go back to Russia, drafting the underrated Nikolayev. He's looked really good in tournament action, showing strong playmaking ability and two-way prowess, which could definitely get him noticed by the Rangers.
Comparison: Mikael Backlund. He's a playmaking type of center that should add good depth to a Rangers core. There's some good and smart two-way skill.

Round 2 ::

32. Ottawa: Nathan Legare, RW
The Sens need to hit a homerun with this pick. They'll hedge their bets on Legare, whom they hope could become a top 6 power winger that can score goals.
Comparison: James Neal. He owns an excellent shot, the ability to make contact on

33. Los Angeles: Phillip Tomasino, C/RW
He's been charging up drafting boards, setting the OHL on fire. He'd fit in quite well with what the Kings are trying to do, going along with guys such as Kupari and Cozens.
Comparison: Evgeni Dadonov. An offensive, speedy forward that can score and make plays.

34. New Jersey: Thomas Harley, D
The consensus seems to be split with him: either he goes early or drops a bit. I think he's this year's Bode Wilde, resulting in him needlessly dropping, only to prove people wrong next year. It'd give the Devils a 1-2 shot of Ty Smith and Thomas Harley on the left side of defense. He could very well move up with the next mock I do, depending of if he's still playing well or not.
Comparison: Travis Sanheim. A big offensive defenseman that might see some growing pains and needs for adjustment; but could pay off if given time.

35. Chicago: Alex Vlasic, D
Once again, the Hawks go with another Illinois kid. They could see him possibly as a good suitor to be paired alongside Henri Jokiharju, providing the more stable play to Jokiharju's offensive style.
Comparison: Brandon Carlo. Huge defender with good skating for his size and some all-around ability.

36. Detroit: Samuel Poulin, LW
The Wings keep building up their forward core, going to the Q to select Poulin, who likely pans out as a complementary middle 6 type.
Comparison: Wayne Simmonds. He'll likely become a hard-nosed type that's not blessed with huge talent, but will go to the hard areas to put up points, including banging around in the front of the net.

37. Ottawa [from Florida]: Ryan Johnson, D
Again, they need to hit a few homeruns. Ryan Johnson's ranked as a first rounder in some rankings. He'd be a good pickup at this location. The Sens have gone into American developmental systems before and pulled a good player out. They hope they can replicate that success.
Comparison: Alec Martinez. Speedy, all-around defenseman that plays well at all ends of the ice.

38. Anaheim: Tobias Bjornfot, D
The Ducks love drafting Swedish defenseman. They're drafting right around the spot he's expected to go.
Comparison: Travis Dermott. He reminds me of an all-rounder type that'll move the puck, keep things safe and sound and can hold his own offensively. Not a huge point producer, but a guy that does everything well enough.

39. Edmonton: Albin Grewe, RW
The Oilers need more guys like Grewe. He's a character type that'll hit, grind it out, has offensive talent and can score. He'll make it hard to play against him... which is exactly what the Oilers need more of.
Comparison: Patric Hornqvist. He's a complementary type that'll hit, grind it out, score goals and go to the net to try and win games.

40. New York Rangers: Samuel Fagemo, RW
The Rangers love drafting out of Sweden. He's an overager that's putting up great numbers and goal scoring this year. He might be worth a look within this range, especially if they really covet him.
Comparison: Ondrej Kase. A talented, skilled scorer that can be placed with offensive players and keep pace.

41. Arizona: Mikko Kokkonen, D
Simply a BPA pick. I could see him falling because of less than ideal skating, which is something you really need to succeed for players his type. He has first round level of two-way talent, though.
Comparison: Olli Maatta. A positionally sound, two-way defender that focuses mainly on his own end and moving the puck along. His skating isn't great, thus he drops.

42. St. Louis: Vladislav Kolyachonok, D
The Blues would probably like to add more depth on their blueline. He's got good skill and seems to produce pretty well offensively, despite being on a poor Flint team. There's upside there.
Comparison: Jake Gardiner. Mobile defender that can aide in offensive production and puck movement.

43. Philadelphia: Yegor Afanasyev, LW
A huge Russian tank, Afanasyev can fly off the wing and score goals. He'd make a good addition to the Flyers based on that alone. Plus they love drafting out of the USHL, so there's a fit there.
Comparison: Chris Kreider. A big power winger with some offensive ability and large bursts of speed.

44. Colorado: Nolan Foote, LW
At this point, it seems elementary for them Avs to pick them. There's family heritate here, with Foote only falling because of his foot speed -- and yes, pun intended. With the importance of skating in the modern NHL, I think it'll be a drawback for him becoming anything higher than a 3rd liner with some goal scoring skill.
Comparison: Nino Neiderreiter. I think he becomes a power winger with some skating issues, who can go to the net and score goals.

45. Carolina: Shane Pinto, RW/C
The 'Canes often dip into the American developmental pool. Pinto's been producing very well this season and it's good enough to get him within the top 45.
Comparison: Charlie Coyle. I think he could become a multi-purpose power forward with some skill, two-way ability and versatility to play center or wing.

46. Carolina [from Buffalo]: Antti Tuomisto, D
The Canes love drafting Finns and they love taking big defenseman. Here you have the best of both worlds. Tuomisto's been rising all season long and seems to be an all-situations type of defender.
Comparison: Esa Lindell. A multi-purpose defender with excellent size and can do a bit of everything.

47. Vancouver: Drew Helleson, D
The Canucks will be looking to give their defense an upgrade, grabbing someone they feel could play with Quinn Hughes and keep pace with him. He's a fellow American, so they could be thinking in that direction as well.
Comparison: Michael Matheson. I think he could become a decently sized, mobile, puck moving defenseman that can move the puck along.

48. Minnesota: Nikita Alexandrov, C
He's a non-flashy goal-scoring center that forechecks hard, shoots the puck with aplomb and does a whole lot of everything. With the Wild looking for center depth, he might make a nice addition as a middle 6 type some day.
Comparison: Nazem Kadri. A physical center with some sniping and two-way appeal.

49. Dallas: Jamieson Rees, C/RW
The Stars draft heavily out of the OHL. As a result, they go with the best player on the board, wishing to stock up on forward depth. He's closing in on being a first rounder on my personal board, so he's definitely got skill.
Comparison: Vincent Trochek. To me, he's a lot like Trochek -- underrated, plays with a fire despite being undersized and has a bevy of skill.

50. Montreal [from Columbus]: Robert Mastrosimone, LW/RW
If there's one thing the Habs love drafting, it's Americans. Mastrosimone is a pure sniper who can pot some nice goals. He could become a guy that plays alongside Kotkaniemi to help produce offense.
Comparison: Mike Cammalleri. An undersized sniper with the willingness to pay the price to score goals.

51. Vegas: Pavel Dorofyev, LW
They drafted Ivan Morozov last year, so they're definitely active in scouting Russians. I could see Dorofyev dropping a little, even if he does have first round offensive talent.
Comparison: Jordan Eberle. He's not the biggest or best skater, but he could make a pretty decent secondary scoring offensive forward.

52. Florida [from Pittsburgh]: Hunter Jones, G
It's an easy pick for them. They need goaltending pretty badly and Jones would be the best left on the board.
Comparison: Connor Hellebuyck. He's a big goalie with upside. He might have starter potential.

53. Boston: John Beecher, C/LW
The Bruins love drafting Americans. They remain the same here, taking the best left on the board. His offense may not be elite, but he's got excellent size and two-way ability. It might make a nice depth pickup for the future.
Comparison: Mark Jankowski. I could see him becoming a third line center-winger that can do a little bit of everything to help his team win.

54. Montreal: Brayden Tracey, RW/LW
He's a teammate of fellow Habs prospect, Josh Brook, which could make him an interesting choice. He's been rising up draft boards and the Habs love risers and love drafting from out west.
Comparison: Reilly Smith. I think he could become a low-maintenance type of two-way forward that can also produce offensively.

55. Toronto: Simon Holmstrom, RW
The often-injured Holmstrom drops in rankings due to rampant injury issues. That said, the Leafs love drafting out of Sweden and he has plenty of talent that they'd like.
Comparison: Gustav Nyquist. Swedish playmaking, offensive forward with plenty of talent and puck skills.

56. Nashville: Ryder Donovan, C/RW
The Preds add this tall American center/forward in order to work on their center depth. As I said earlier, size will get you everywhere, so he's likely to become top 6 selection.
Comparison: Kevin Hayes. A big, sizeable depth center/winger with decent puck skills.

57. Detroit [from New York Islanders]: Samuel Hlavaj, G
The Wings are going to need some goalie depth. They go with the big kid developing within the USHL. They can give him the time to develop and hope something works out.
Comparison: Matt Murray. He fits the mould of the modern day big goaltender with athletic ability and skill that most starters have.

58. New York Islanders [from Calgary]: Maxim Cajkovic, RW/LW
It's been a weird season for Cajkovic. The first half was a complete disaster, which he hopes to write-off. He's picked it up as of late, showing the scoring and ability that he has. The Islanders take the chance with him.
Comparison: Michael Grabner. He has the potential to become a skilled, two-way winger that can motor up and down the ice and score in a depth role.

59. Washington: Artemi Knyazev, D
The Capitals take on the Russian defendseman that's been playing in the Q. He has an excellent ability to skate with the puck, which is exactly what the Caps love in their defenders. He might have some powerplay and offensive skill. Oh, and as always, they don't fear the Russian factor.
Comparison: Nick Leddy. An extremely mobile depth defenseman that may not be a top tiered guy, but can contribute on a powerplay and in the puck movement area.

60. San Jose: Michal Teply, LW
The Sharks love their big Europeans that project quite well. He'll likely be a big two-way guy at the pro level, with the ability to aide in offense as well.
Comparison: Joel Armia. A big, puck-protecting, two-way forward that helps in puck-protection, scoring, PKing, etc..

61. Winnipeg: Billy Constantinou, D
The Jets take Constantinou in order to build up their depth on the right hand side of defense. He's quick and mobile, able to swiftly move the puck from one end of the ice to the other. He's been moved to a much lesser team, which is effecting his point total, but there's plenty to like about his game.
Comparison: Kevin Shattenkirk. A high-risk defenseman with offensive and top 4 upside, as long as he can put it all together.

62. Tampa Bay: Daniil Gutik, LW
Russians have never been an object to be feared for the Lightning. If anything, they've embraced them. Gutik's been a talented playmaking winger and might have some excellent upside in terms of production. The Bolts take the risk with him, just as they've done before with other Russian talent.

Round 3 ::

63. Colorado [from Ottawa]: Yegor Spiridonov, C
The Avs have taken a few Russians over the past few years and they might venture back to select the rangy center. He could become an excellent depth center for them, with his ability to forecheck and back-check extremely hard.
Comparison: Artem Anismiov. Big center that PKs hard, plays hard and works well in various roles.

64. Los Angeles: Mads Sogaard, G
The Kings add some goaltender depth, drafting the huge Danish 'tender. After returning from a poor performance for the Danish team at the WJC, he's returned to form and looked good.
Comparison: Ben Bishop. A huge goalie with upside and can also move the puck well.

65. Philadelphia [from New Jersey]: Kaedan Korczak, D
They go with the best player available. I think Korczak might fall only because he isn't considered a "sexy" pick, with teams opting to draft guys with more upside. For a third round selection, Korczak would be a helluva steal for the Flyers, giving them more depth on the blueline.
Comparison: Marco Scandella. Big, mobile, two-way defenseman that keeps things safe and likes to focus on his own zone.

66. Arizona [from Chicago]: Harrison Blaisdell, LW
The Coyotes jump on the ball and take Blaisdell, who's been putting up excellent numbers in the BCHL. He'll be playing in Notre Dame next year, with the Coyotes hoping he develops into a scoring forward.
Comparison: Jason Zucker is probably his upside. An energetic scorer that'll go hard to the net, fight for pucks and create offense.

67. Detroit: Samuel Bolduc, D
With some offensive guys on their right hand side, they take the big, rising, physical Bolduc off the board. He had a solid Top Prospects Game and he seems to be getting more attention as the season goes on.
Comparison: Joel Edmundson. Physical defender that hits hard, skates well and moves the puck well enough to aide in transition.

68. Nashville [from Florida]: Rhett Pitlick, LW/RW
They drafted his brother, Rem, a few years ago. They go back and take his brother this year, liking the offensive game the undersized forward has.
Comparison: Conor Garland. Like all undersized scorers, he'll have an uphill battle, hoping to make it on his skill alone.

69. New Jersey [from Anaheim]: Hugo Alnefelt, G
He's another sizeable goaltender with good ability. Corey Schneider's play has completely fallen off a cliff, Keith Kinkaid is only middling and Mackenzie Blackwood is still unproven. They need goalie depth very badly.
Comparison: Sergei Bobrovsky. He probably won't have the upside that Bobrovsky has shown... but he might have some similar attributes, especially in how they can make needed saves.

70. Florida [from Edmonton]: Patrik Puistola, LW
The Panthers are always all-in on Finns. Puistola's been producing goals at an interesting rate over in Finland, making him an interesting commodity for their future forward ranks.
Comparison: Jakob Silfverberg. He might make a Silfverberg type of depth forward, with the ability to snipe goals thanks to his good shot, along with decent puck protection skills and two-way smarts.

71. New York Rangers: Hugo Has, D
After loading up on forwards for their first few choices, they draft a big, mobile, shutdown type of defenseman for their right hand side.
Comparison: Brayden McNabb. He's a big, mobile defenseman with the ability to play a shutdown role.

72. Arizona: Marcus Kallionkieli, LW
He drops into the third round because his production slipped a little when Bobby Brink went out, making people think he isn't a play driver.
Comparison: Andreas Athanasiou. A speedy North-South type of player that can speed down a wing and put pucks on net.

73. St. Louis: Ilya Konovalov, G
The Blues are in desperate need of an upgrade in goal, needing one of their guys to work out. For this pick, they take the best available goaltender in Konovalov, a double-overager that has been completely shadowing a lot of his competition in Russia.
Comparison: Jonathan Quick. An impressively talented goalie with good reflexes and speed. Not necessarily the biggest guy, but he owns a lot of skill and upside.

74. Philadelphia: John Farinacci, C
They draft a lot out of the American developmental system. He could become an energetic depth center. They consider it more depth down the middle, solidifying that area.
Comparison: Chris Tierney. A speedy, mobile two-way center that plays an energetic, smart game.

75. Colorado: Vladislav Firstov, LW
Going with a speedy offensive forward, the Avs stock up on left wingers, giving them more scoring wingers to play with their centers.
Comparison: Craig Smith. He might develop into a fast scoring forward that can work on a powerplay.

76. Carolina: Henri Nikkanen, C
The 'Canes return to the Finns, taking the big center with upside. He can play up and down a lineup, fitting in on any lineup thanks to his smart two-way style of play. It's a depth move.
Comparison: Oskar Sundqvist. He could become a two-way center with excellent speed and some playmaking ability, albeit in a depth role, ala a 3rd/4th line.

77. Buffalo: Ethan Keppen, LW
He's a speedy, mobile power winger that can crash and bang and also owns a deceptively good shot. He's the type that'll likely make it difficult to play again. Furthermore, he's looked pretty good, all while playing on a woesome Flint Firebirds team.
Comparison: Jake Virtanen. Mostly a bottom 6 type that can go into the dirty areas, play physical and play a hard-fought game.

78. Vancouver: Marshall Warren, D
The Canucks focus on defense again, taking another speedy undersized guy with excellent mobility, With the type of game they play now, they'll want to take more puck movers.
Comparison: Nate Schmidt. He uses his skating ability and blazing speed to play a two-way game.

79. Minnesota: Antti Saarella, LW/C
Saarella's the type of player that can be shifted around a bottom 9, playing a versatile amount of roles. He can produce offense, hit, defend, PK and bring an overall all-around game thanks to his speed.
Comparison: Jesper Fast. A Swiss Army Knife type of player blessed with versatility and smarts.

80. Dallas: Judd Caulfield, RW
The Stars love to take some guys with size during their drafts. They strike here, grabbing Caulfield, who's 6'3" and is built like a tank.
Comparison: Marcus Foligno. Power winger with physicality and some offensive production.

81. Columbus: Graeme Clarke, RW
The Jackets add more offensive depth to their wings, hoping to have good depth if/when Panarin departs. They're going to need someone to score goals for them -- and that's exactly his game.
Comparison: Tyler Toffoli. Like Toffoli, his speed and skating is less than great; but he knows how to put the puck in the net.

82. Vegas: Henry Thrun, D
Vegas would like a left side defender that can play an all-around game. He might have some upside as a two-way guy that makes safe and sounds decisions.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin. While he can skate well and move with the puck, he'll be more of a stay-at-home type if he makes it. He might not have the upside that Slavin has shown, but they play a similar style of game.

83. Ottawa [from Pittsburgh]: Alex Beaucage, RW
Beaucage has top 60 potential, but his skating might keep him down the board. He can score, has excellent size, plays physical and can do a bit of everything, making him the perfect pit for this round for the Sens.
Comparison: Boone Jenner. He projects to become a "safe" throwback type of forward that can be played on any line and take any role.

84. Boston: Trevor Janicke, RW
The Bruins love using the middle rounds to draft collegiate players. One such guy that could be of interest is Janicke, who's looked good this season and plays a bit of a buzzsaw style.
Comparison: Blake Coleman. He's a do-anything type that score goals, be a bit physical and plays with good speed and skill.

85. Montreal: Jake Lee, D
He's a big physical defenseman that's decent and keeping the puck in mobility. He'd be a depth addition for the Habs, who'll be bolstering their blueline with thie addition.
Comparison: Josh Manson. He's a big, physical type of blueliner that can move the puck along, stand up for his teammates and plays a shutdown type of gme.

86. Toronto: Valeri Orekhov, D
The Leafs love drafting overagers, especially if they can come over and step in to play right away. Orekhov's played well at both the WJC and against men in the KHL. He'd make an attractive option to a smart scouting team.
Comparison: Markus Nutivaraa. He's a low-maintenance type of defender that can make the simple plays, keep the puck in motion up ice and is able to play a smart, two-way, mobile style.

87. Vegas [from Nashville]: Blake Murray, C
He plays a speedy style of game that'd fit well with the Golden Knights. He hasn't lived up to expectations, which causes him to fall... but a savvy team might take him, hoping he can be a nice project to work on.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably a Brock Nelson type. Otherwise, maybe a Sean Kuraly type of depth forward.

88. Edmonton [from New York Islanders]: Josh Williams, RW
After getting traded to the Edmonton Oil Kings, he'll hope he can get his career trajectory back on track after a worrisome first half. At this slot, the Oilers go boom-or-bust, hoping for the former.
Comparison: Miles Wood. Not sure if he has the offensive potential that was once thought. Maybe he's more of a speedy type of forward that can put up decent offensive numbers in a depth role, with some grit to his game.

89. Calgary: Simon Lundmark, D
The Flames grab another defenseman, liking the upside of Lundmark, feeling he has potential both offensively and defensively. They've got a few other Swedish defenseman and they could return to that line of thought.
Comparison: Colin Miller. Lundmark can move the puck along, keep things tight defensively and even has a big shot from the point that'd enable him to keep opposing defenses honest.

90. Washington: Matvei Guskov, LW
The Caps add the Russian winger that's currently playing in the OHL. I'm not positively sold on his upside... but he might make a decent energy forward. At this area, it's worth a shot.
Comparison: Michael Frolik. Speedy winger that can go from zone-to-zone. Probably more of a depth guy.

91. San Jose: Tuukka Tieksola, RW
The Sharks love drafting from overseas. A keen scouting staff will see undersized playmaker Tieksola and the numbers he's put up and latch on to him, liking his potential. A worthy game at #91.
Comparison: Kevin Labanc. He has potential to become a point-producer playmaking winger, albeit an undersized one.

92. Vegas [from Winnipeg]: Matias Maccelli, LW
This Finnish transport has been putting up good numbers playing in American developmental systems. He has potential to make it as a depth offensive forward.
Comparison: Jussi Jokinen. He owns pretty good hands, some offense and some two-way play. Probably won't be a world-beater, but can play a depth role on offense.

93. Tampa Bay: Jordan Spence, D
With a tendency to draft out of the QMJHL, the Bolts love their smaller players with high IQ. Spence is another player that fits that mould and could look good as a pure playmaking defenseman.
Comparison: Will Butcher. An undersized, offensive defenseman with good skill and positioning smarts.

Some names that are just missing the cut that probably would go in the 4th round: Colten Ellis; Roman Bychkov; Ben Brinkman; Isaiah Saville; Valentin Nussbaumer; Dustin Wolf; Jackson Lacombe; Kim Nouisianen; Reece Newkirk; Ilya Mironov; Sasha Mutala; Cole Moberg; Quinn Schmiemann; Mike Koster; Xavier Simoneau; etc.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Thanks for posting. Always enjoy reading your mock drafts

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
As bummed as I would be to see the Avs lose out on the lottery again I would be over the moon with Knight with the other 1st. Good mock

Reactions: ljb4

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That would be a hell of a nice draft lottery. I'm leaning towards the NHL rigging it for Detroit so they can get Hughes, the NHL wants 'Americas' team back in the playoffs.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I think Pavel Dorofeyev is a top 15 prospect, I would take him over Kaliyev with Vancouver's 1st at 16, and over Helleson for sure who I have ranked in the 80s somewhere.
He'll have a Kravtsov-like rise.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
why colorado defenseman if at them there is Barry, Makar, Girard,, Timmons, Zadorov? at colorado problem with centers.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Great work, and a good read! I still don’t wanna see Nashville take a defenseman with their 1st although Heinola is very talented. Though, Nashville is probably gonna just end up trading the 1st away again, hopefully for someone better than Hartman.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
That would be a hell of a nice draft lottery. I'm leaning towards the NHL rigging it for Detroit so they can get Hughes, the NHL wants 'Americas' team back in the playoffs.

Yeah, I can definitely see the same. Just like the league rigged it for their lovebirds Edmonton, Florida and Buffalo in the McDavid, Ekblad and Dahlin-drafts :rolleyes:

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
Good work, thanks. This Ranger fan would be happy (go Tampa!!!) especially since they added two more high picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad