Mobile and lightweight gloves for easier stickhandling

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
Recently I've started to notice how much my gear feels like a hindrance to my stick handling and movement. I play outdoors a lot with no gear on and feel so much more comfortable and confident with the puck on my stick than having all the gear on. It affects my play so much.

I've been testing piece by piece, and it is the gloves that bug me the most. So I have decided to get some new gloves first. Elbow pads are next.

So what are some recommendations for gloves that are as lightweight, mobile and soft as possible? Is there such options? Protection is not a big deal, I play in a beer league.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's about fit and and size and finding the most comfortable for you. I've always wore Bauer and preferred Vapor line fit. More snug on the fingers but looser toward the wrist area, feels like i have more mobility. If you are looking for optimal wrist mobility, Vapor would probably be the one.

The higher end gloves in the Vapor line will be more protective while not sacrificing mobility and other features like drying liner. If you don't care or need much protection and other features, entry level or lowerend model in the line should be fine

fitting-guide-gloves.jpg

Goodforyoursoul

May 17, 2013
I bought some cheap but light ccm 4 roll gloves and wore a hole in the palm and thumb in less than 10 skates so whatever you get make sure they have some decent durability I.e. cheap is light but also poor

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I bought some cheap but light ccm 4 roll gloves and wore a hole in the palm and thumb in less than 10 skates so whatever you get make sure they have some decent durability I.e. cheap is light but also poor

What colour tape do you use to tape your butt-end?

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I would also recommend a 4 roll style of glove which gives you the most volume in the glove. I am like you and I like wearing a glove that gives me the most movement, particularly at the wrist. The Bauer 4 roll gloves have been the best to me. The current Nexus line would be the 4 roll style. I also use Eagle Aero Pros which are a 4 roll, but I honestly think the mobility in the Bauer 4 roll product is better.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Recently I've started to notice how much my gear feels like a hindrance to my stick handling and movement. I play outdoors a lot with no gear on and feel so much more comfortable and confident with the puck on my stick than having all the gear on. It affects my play so much.

I've been testing piece by piece, and it is the gloves that bug me the most. So I have decided to get some new gloves first. Elbow pads are next.

So what are some recommendations for gloves that are as lightweight, mobile and soft as possible? Is there such options? Protection is not a big deal, I play in a beer league.
I would argue that in beer league, protection is very important.

Not so much because of the league or shenanigans but for the fact that beer league players have to go to work the next day.

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
I ended up with Bauer vapor 2x gloves. They were super soft and I like the tapered fit. Very happy with the gloves and honestly it has made a difference in my game, I feel more confident with the puck now.

I use a rubber butt-end grip. Great for increasing palm durability. Don't know what it is called in US/Canada, but here in Finland they sell this product called tacki mac command grip.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I ended up with Bauer vapor 2x gloves. They were super soft and I like the tapered fit. Very happy with the gloves and honestly it has made a difference in my game, I feel more confident with the puck now.

I use a rubber butt-end grip. Great for increasing palm durability. Don't know what it is called in US/Canada, but here in Finland they sell this product called tacki mac command grip.
I really like the tacki Mac patduct

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Warrior Covert gloves with the "Axyflex" cuffs are absolutely amazing. They also offer much better protection from slashes when your wrists are turned over, than other styles.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
its really personal preference. i have the true xc7 z palms and love them. if possible try gloves on and see what you like or do what i did and order a pair and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad