MN High School State Tournament 2011

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
It's that time again! For those of you familiar with Minnesota hockey, you'll understand what a big deal this is. For those of you not from Minnesota, I'm sure somebody will dig up an old article trying to explain it's significance. Meanwhile, I'll start posting the participants as they're decided...

Section - Team (NHL draft or NCAA recruit consideration)
1A - Rochester Lourdes
2A - Breck (#9 Keegan Iverson 2015 draft eligible, no seniors among top six scorers = many good prospects)
3A - New Ulm
4A - St. Thomas (#9 Zach Schroeder, #17 AJ Reid, #16 Taylor Fleming)
5A - Hermantown (#17 Garrett Skrbich)
6A - Alexandria
7A - Hibbing (#6 Nick DeCenzo, #7 Adam Johnson)
8A - Thief River Falls
1AA - Lakeville North (#1 Charlie Lindgren, best goalie in the tournament)
2AA - Edina (#19 Steven Fogarty, #17 Michael Sit, #4 Max Everson, #11 Lou Nanne)
3AA - Eagan (#16 Michael Zajac, #24 Will Merchant)
4AA - White Bear Lake (#20 Brandon Wahlin)
5AA - Blaine (#22 Jonny Brodzinski, #20 Michael Brodzinski)
6AA - Eden Prairie (#7 Kyle Rau, #11 Nick Seeler)
7AA - Duluth East (#12 Trevor Olson, #16 Jake Randolph, #26 Connor Valesano, #28 Nate Repensky, #15 Meirs Moore, #19 Dom Toninato)
8AA - Moorhead

Mario Lucia of Wayzata is probably the only player in the state who might be considered for the first round of the NHL draft in 2011, but Wayzata was eliminated by Eden Prarie. Joe LaBate and the Holy Angels team were also eliminated. Kyle Rau will almost certainly win the Mr. Hockey Award, but he'll be drafted in the later rounds or not at all.

LIVE VIDEO STREAMING!

Last edited:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
It'll be interesting to see who comes out of that Eagan/Apple Valley game tonight. I'd like to see Michaelson from Apple Valley on the big stage again. Though, Eagan has some good, up and coming underclassmen as well.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I'll look around a little bit to try and find some better articles and videos, but I thought this video speaks for itself, no fancy editing needed...

Basically, many kids in Minnesota love the Wild, but their dream isn't to play for the Wild. Many kids love the Gophers (or Huskies, or Bulldogs, etc.), but their dream isn't to play for the Gophers. Their dream is to play in the State Tournament. The stands in the video above aren't filled with fans, they're filled with family, neighbors, and friends. It's different, and that's the only way to state it.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
thank God for Minnesota; that sexier cousin of Canada!!

great tournament, great passion from the people, it is exactly what should be going on all over this country with this sport.

Anyone know how Michaelson did tonight? I am hoping for some big showings from this kid, I hope he is another high end US forward for next years draft.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
thank God for Minnesota; that sexier cousin of Canada!!

great tournament, great passion from the people, it is exactly what should be going on all over this country with this sport.

Anyone know how Michaelson did tonight? I am hoping for some big showings from this kid, I hope he is another high end US forward for next years draft.
No points in a 1-0 loss to Eagan. Fasching is the other big name for the losing team.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
The field is set! Unranked White Bear Lake knocked out #1 Hill-Murray last night in a HUGE upset. Eden Prairie will probably take the #1 seed in class AA now, but Edina, Duluth East, Eagan, and Blaine all have a shot to win it.

St. Thomas is the clear favorite in class A, but Breck and Hermantown have a good chance too. I'd love to see small town teams Hibbing or Thief River Falls do some damage as underdogs.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Minnesota High Schoolers

If you're in the area, head on over to the Xcel Energy Center in St Paul. Starting tomorrow (March 9), the rink will be the host to Minnesota's high school state championship and a good time to get a glimpse at a few of the guys that may be drafted in that very rink come June, including Kyle Rau, who we consider the frontrunner for the Mr. Hockey award.

Dan Stewart has highlighted those in the tournament that may hear their name called on June 25th and 26th: http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wo...11-a-tough-year-for-minnesota-high-schoolers/

You can follow the results of the tournament here: http://www.minnhock.com/

HalbertGil*

Thanks for the article links.
Is Wayzata in this tournament?

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
If you're in the area, head on over to the Xcel Energy Center in St Paul. Starting tomorrow (March 9), the rink will be the host to Minnesota's high school state championship and a good time to get a glimpse at a few of the guys that may be drafted in that very rink come June, including Kyle Rau, who we consider the frontrunner for the Mr. Hockey award.

Dan Stewart has highlighted those in the tournament that may hear their name called on June 25th and 26th: http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wo...11-a-tough-year-for-minnesota-high-schoolers/

You can follow the results of the tournament here: http://www.minnhock.com/

Just had an email sent to me from Stillwater head coach and ex-NHL offensive defenseman Phil Housley, regarding his big stay-at-home defenseman Neal Goff.

"Neal has developed into a complete player. He has great skating ability, has a good stick and doesn't get caught out of position. Neal has to focus on overall strength. He has a big frame and will need to add some muscle. He will gain more confidence and will become more of a physical force.

It has been a pleasure to coach Neal the past 3 years and I look forward to his Senior year in high school. I believe the best is yet to come and he has the passion and character to succeed. He has been one of our main contributing leaders on and off the ice and his teammates listen to what he has to offer."

Unfortunatly this quote did not make it into the FC article but I thought some of you might still like to read it here.

Ducksgo*

It's that time again! For those of you familiar with Minnesota hockey, you'll understand what a big deal this is. For those of you not from Minnesota, I'm sure somebody will dig up an old article trying to explain it's significance. Meanwhile, I'll start posting the participants as they're decided...

Section - Team (NHL draft or NCAA recruit consideration)
1A - Rochester Lourdes
2A - Breck (#9 Keegan Iverson 2015 draft eligible, no seniors among top six scorers = many good prospects)
3A - New Ulm
4A - St. Thomas (#9 Zach Schroeder, #17 AJ Reid, #16 Taylor Fleming)
5A - Hermantown (#17 Garrett Skrbich)
6A - Alexandria
7A - Hibbing (#6 Nick DeCenzo, #7 Adam Johnson)
8A - Thief River Falls
1AA - Lakeville North (#1 Charlie Lindgren, best goalie in the tournament)
2AA - Edina (#19 Steven Fogarty, #17 Michael Sit, #4 Max Everson, #11 Lou Nanne)
3AA - Eagan (#16 Michael Zajac, #24 Will Merchant)
4AA - White Bear Lake (#20 Brandon Wahlin)
5AA - Blaine (#22 Jonny Brodzinski, #20 Michael Brodzinski)
6AA - Eden Prairie (#7 Kyle Rau, #11 Nick Seeler)
7AA - Duluth East (#12 Trevor Olson, #16 Jake Randolph, #26 Connor Valesano, #28 Nate Repensky, #15 Meirs Moore, #19 Dom Toninato)
8AA - Moorhead

Mario Lucia of Wayzata is probably the only player in the state who might be considered for the first round of the NHL draft in 2011, but Wayzata was eliminated by Eden Prarie. Joe LaBate and the Holy Angels team were also eliminated. Kyle Rau will almost certainly win the Mr. Hockey Award, but he'll be drafted in the later rounds or not at all.

LIVE VIDEO STREAMING!

Awesome for posting the stream link, is there any players I should keep an eye out for?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I'm a big proponent of Steve Fogarty as a mid-late round pick this year.

I wish I could be there tomorrow but will be streaming at work for sure.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Awesome for posting the stream link, is there any players I should keep an eye out for?

If you can really watch the games. From start to finish and all tourny long. Look for a freshmen or sophmore that is really stepping up his game or out working and out hustling every one. These types of players usually go to the USHL or the devolpmental team. And go on to have some nice success. Erik Johnson. Peter Mueller and TJ Oshie really stood out as under clasmen.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
If you can really watch the games. From start to finish and all tourny long. Look for a freshmen or sophmore that is really stepping up his game or out working and out hustling every one. These types of players usually go to the USHL or the devolpmental team. And go on to have some nice success. Erik Johnson. Peter Mueller and TJ Oshie really stood out as under clasmen.
Case in point, Breck has a 1996 born middle school kid playing for them RIGHT NOW. He'll be eligible for the 2015 draft!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
How often does an 8th grader play in the State Tournament? It's obviously early on but he sounds like he could be a special player.

Here's an article on Keegan Iverson for those looking for a little more information.

The last player I remember that really made a splash in the tournament as an 8th grader was Jordan Schroeder. Hudson Fasching was a freshman last year but he was only 14. It's very rare for a player that age to be a factor like those two were.

From what I've read Iverson has split time between forward and defense. Where does he project better?

HalbertGil*

Anyone have a site that has the tournament's stats and standings?

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
How often does an 8th grader play in the State Tournament? It's obviously early on but he sounds like he could be a special player.

Here's an article on Keegan Iverson for those looking for a little more information.
It happens more often in Class A with some of the outstate schools but for an eighth-grader to take over and be an impact player is fairly rare. The last two I can think of are Jordan Schroeder and Peter Mueller.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Crowd from this afternoon's session:

255706965.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->