MN High School Hockey Discussion

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
So I don't know if this would be a happening topic on this site but with the NHL locked out and the state of hockey still in motion I figured there might be a few more followers this year. Anyone interested in following and discussing the great state of Minnesota's prep hockey?

In this day and age its easier than ever to follow some of the top teams with more video than ever, instead of going rink to rink like the old days you can at least catch some highlights across the state and see just how the game is played at some minor levels, my personal favorite way to watch the sport played, outside of the WJCs.

If anyone wants some links to catch up or follow the season there are some good sites out there, I personally found http://www.mnhockeycenter.com/view/mbhsh to be an awesome site this year for watching some of the better matchups and getting to see some of the top players, although they do favor the metro area (by far the easiest to scout and compare prospect talent IMO).

There is of course the state's high school forums as well but I find that site to be very biased and poorly filtered although they do provide great information on upcoming matchups.

With the Schwan's Cup coming up though there should be some great hockey played in the state of MN before the Juniors take off and I know I plan on seeing some of the games if anyone else is interested in discussing the High School season (not Jarick because booooooo Edina). :sarcasm:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'm biased but mnhockeycenter is a blatant ripoff of the best high school hockey site around, "The Hub". I usually try to make it to a few sessions of the Schwans Cup but I don't know if I will this year since it's not at the X.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I watched the Tonka/STA game the other day and the Tonka/Maple Grove game last night, both on FSN.

Minnetonka has some senior forward named Coda? Or Cota? That seems pretty good.

Also saw my High School, Owatonna, play Shakopee a few weeks ago. Both teams are brutal. Hopefully i can get around to seeing more games before i leave for Christmas/school.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Coatta. He's Minnetonka's all-time leading scorer.

They didn't suck last night. Minnetonka looked awful though; a shell of what they've been the past 2-3 years.

Ok, an odd way of spelling it but I just kept hearing the announcer just drool at the kid's name every mention.

And neither team looked bad, IMO, but Minnetonka did not look all that good. Not nearly as good as they used to be, that's for sure.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Minnetonka is very good this year, #3 in the state right now in fact, they just had an off night last night I think. Tommy Vannelli is the guy to watch on their team though. He's probably the best defenseman in the state and should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Minnetonka is very good this year, #3 in the state right now in fact, they just had an off night last night I think. Tommy Vannelli is the guy to watch on their team though. He's probably the best defenseman in the state and should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year.

Quite a few people I've talked with are high on him.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
A recent Gopher commit.

:( Damn. I forgot about him until you mentioned him. I was impressed with him last night.

The Sioux really need to recruit the cities teams harder. You guys have been getting a lot of good players lately.

We've got little Schmaltz coming, though. Potential top-5 '14 draft coming out of Wisconsin high school, if im thinking straight. He'll probably be trouble for you guys once he gets to Forks.

Any high end recruits that are still undecided?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Lettieri leaving definitely hurt. They just lack the dearth of high end talent that last years' team, and the one from 3 years ago had. Last year, they had 2 full forward lines of impact players and 3-4 very good defensemen; this year, 3 maybe 4 players in total. They definitely have to play more of a "team game" now.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
I slightly changed the thread title Ovechkid. Seems like everyone is fine with it.

:( Damn. I forgot about him until you mentioned him. I was impressed with him last night.

The Sioux really need to recruit the cities teams harder. You guys have been getting a lot of good players lately.

We've got little Schmaltz coming, though. Potential top-5 '14 draft coming out of Wisconsin high school, if im thinking straight. He'll probably be trouble for you guys once he gets to Forks.

They've gotten a few Twin Cities players over the years but it's hard to get the best of the best in Minnesota's stronghold. Same reason why the Gophers (and other teams) have trouble getting the Warroad/Roseau players.

Minnesota's D recruiting has gone up since Mike Guentzel returned. Then again, this really has nothing to do with HS hockey.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Lettieri leaving definitely hurt. They just lack the dearth of high end talent that last years' team, and the one from 3 years ago had. Last year, they had 2 full forward lines of impact players and 3-4 very good defensemen; this year, 3 maybe 4 players in total. They definitely have to play more of a "team game" now.

They have three D1 commits in Vannelli, Ramsey, and Schuldt which is as many as any team in the state. Coatta and Thie are also really good players and Ridge and Bader are solid second line guys. Lettieri and Rothstein were definitely big losses but teams lose key guys every year. Throw in a good veteran goalie in Ciaccio and I think they'll be just fine.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN

T.J. Moore (Sr.), Spencer Naas (Jr.), and Johnny Austin (Jr.) from BSM, Shane Gersich (Soph.) from Holy Family, Jake Wahlin (Soph.) from White Bear Lake, Dylan Malmquist (Soph.) from Edina, Zach LaValle (Sr.) from Hill-Murray, Tyler Sheehy (Jr.) from Burnsville, Avery Peterson (Jr.) from Grand Rapids, Mario Bianchi (Sr.) from Holy Angels, Jack Dougherty (Jr.) from STA, Alex Copa (Jr.) from Blaine, Mason Bergh (Sr.) from Eden Prairie, Chase Perry (Jr.) from Andover, Max Coatta (Sr.) from Tonka

I'm probably missing some but most of the high end seniors have committed already. Moore is probably the best undecided senior, LaValle is a very good player but may play a different sport at the next level.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
T.J. Moore (Sr.), Spencer Naas (Jr.), and Johnny Austin (Jr.) from BSM, Shane Gersich (Soph.) from Holy Family, Jake Wahlin (Soph.) from White Bear Lake, Dylan Malmquist (Soph.) from Edina, Zach LaValle (Sr.) from Hill-Murray, Tyler Sheehy (Jr.) from Burnsville, Avery Peterson (Jr.) from Grand Rapids, Mario Bianchi (Sr.) from Holy Angels, Jack Dougherty (Jr.) from STA

I'm probably missing some but most of the high end seniors have committed already. Moore is probably the best undecided senior, LaValle is a very good player but may play a different sport at the next level.

I don't think Coatta has committed yet.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I wish hockey hub had a feature that football hub has.

On the latter, you can go to, say, 2013 recruiting, and you'll see the player and all the schools they are considering/who recruited them.

Like for one guy I see he has offers from Iowa State, North Dakota, and South Dakota State. It'd be cool if hockey hub had the same thing.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I wish hockey hub had a feature that football hub has.

On the latter, you can go to, say, 2013 recruiting, and you'll see the player and all the schools they are considering/who recruited them.

Like for one guy I see he has offers from Iowa State, North Dakota, and South Dakota State. It'd be cool if hockey hub had the same thing.

We did that last year and I would imagine Loren plans on doing it again this year once we get a little deeper into the season.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Yep, wrote this on him if anyone is interested/doesn't mind the obvious self-promotion.

Nice write up and thanks for the title change. I only saw Vannelli once last year but he looked good, solid get for the Gophs although like the article mentioned, the blueline will have quite the logjam.

I was watching a little bit of that Tonka-Grove game last night while it was on at the bar and Tonka was struggling a bit in the first. Also saw EP's coach Smith at the bar and an elite league guy or two but didn't get a chance to say hi. Unfortunately I didn't get to catch the whole game as a small skirmish broke out.

Also watched the BSM-AHA game which was quite the onesided affair. Besse, Naas and Chumley all had great games. Chumley is a bit of physical specimen at 6'2 and 205 and he was very good controlling the puck in the corners.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
BSM lost to Blaine 6-5 tonight in a comeback win and EP goes down again too. I wouldn't be too worried about the Red Knights early losses, very close games although the D is a bit shakier this year. EP on the other hand makes me worried. I wasn't nearly as high on that roster as a lot of rankings preseason and they certainly seem to be struggling although I haven't been able to catch any of their losses.

Should be interesting to see if section 6 can turn it around as this week has been a bit lackluster for the big names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->