Dreger: MN could move Dumba

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm shocked and impressed with how calm you sound.
As a Wild fan, you haven't been through the pain of incompetence like us Oil fans have.
I seriously don't want to see Dumba get traded for a top 6 forward + B prospect + 1st rounder to a top 10 team and then see him get nominated for a Noris in 2021.
How worried would you be if Dreger said "I could see Edmonton dangling Nurse" and that was literally the only "credible" evidence available that the thought had even occurred to Holland? If we hear Russo, LeBrun, etc. start to blow smoke about it we can treat it more seriously, but right now this isn't even really a rumor.

And for the record, we have been through the pain of seeing a promising, young offensive RD get moved for a top-6 forward + late 1st + prospect only to see them go on and win Norris trophies while most of what we got in return turned back into mud and sticks :laugh:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
"I want to be the one to trade a package of lesser assets and get the better piece back"

Yes, that's paraphrasing what I've said. I have made zero attempt to hide that being my preference. Outside of a few exceptions, notably Jones for Johansen, it is more often smaller pieces from a buyer for a bigger piece from a seller. I'm not saying it has to be that way, merely that that's what my team can pay.

If we're trading Dumba, I'd hope it's not in a package for lesser parts. Even if one of those parts is a good young center with top 6 upside. I would want to find a 1 for 1 deal for an established top 6 center, possibly add small parts to even out the deal where needed. If we can't find that, we should keep him.

Everyone wants to trade a package of lesser players for one better one, I would love to package Dumba+ for a legitimate 1C that's 25 or younger, but that's not the kind of deal the Wild should be on the other side of right now.

Understandable, and since my team would not be able to pay that price, 1 for 1, I wish Wild fans all the luck in the world.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yeah, I do like Guadette and have for a while, but I can't get my head around trading Dumba for him. It's not impossible that that'll look like a silly stance in a year or two.

Something around Zucker and Gaudette would be more my speed.

Zucker makes no sense for us, Gaudette is younger and doing a great job, our forward group isn’t really the issue especially with some of the prospects we have coming. I’m not sure adding in another top 6 forward making 5.5 million is a wise move for us moving forward, we’re already up tight against the cap.

Where we could make an improvement is on the D. The only way I would entertain a deal that sends Minny Gaudette is for Dumba, even then I’m very skittish on it as one is trending downwards and the other upwards. I’d rather pay more when Dumba has shown he’s still the player he was. Canucks have Juolevi and Tryamkin for D prospects that look ready and can be a top 4 guy. The more I think about it the more I believe we’re better off staying away from making trades like this, see what we have in Juolevi and Tryamkin before using Gaudette as trade bate. We just can’t be adding more 5-6 million dollar players given our cap issues and future re-signings.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Zucker makes no sense for us, Gaudette is younger and doing a great job, our forward group isn’t really the issue especially with some of the prospects we have coming. I’m not sure adding in another top 6 forward making 5.5 million is a wise move for us moving forward, we’re already up tight against the cap.

Where we could make an improvement is on the D. The only way I would entertain a deal that sends Minny Gaudette is for Dumba, even then I’m very skittish on it as one is trending downwards and the other upwards. I’d rather pay more when Dumba has shown he’s still the player he was. Canucks have Juolevi and Tryamkin for D prospects that look ready and can be a top 4 guy. The more I think about it the more I believe we’re better off staying away from making trades like this, see what we have in Juolevi and Tryamkin before using Gaudette as trade bate. We just can’t be adding more 5-6 million dollar players given our cap issues and future re-signings.
I was thinking Zucker because of the rumored interest from Vancouver last summer, but completely blanked on the whole JT Miller thing. It's a shame that hasn't worked out for you guys :laugh:

Reactions: iFan

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Would something like Dermott + Kapanen work?
Wild fans don't want wingers or Dmen back it isn't about quantity. They want a young top 6 C or a potential 1C in a package.

What their team does is another story but I can also assure you their team won't move him for anything less than a very good C prospect++.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Wild fans don't want wingers or Dmen back it isn't about quantity. They want a young top 6 C or a potential 1C in a package.

What their team does is another story but I can also assure you their team won't move him for anything less than a very good C prospect++.
Fair enough, I think Kap and Dermott are both valuable pieces with Top 6 and Top 4 potential within the next year or two. They’re definitely NHLers and looking to be bigger impact players.
Stranger things have happened, but I can't think of a rational reason for Minnesota to do that.
You never know right. I don’t think the value is out to lunch, especially given Dumba’s struggles this year. That said, young Top 4 D always carry a ton of value.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You never know right. I don’t think the value is out to lunch, especially given Dumba’s struggles this year. That said, young Top 4 D always carry a ton of value.

Which is why it doesn't make sense for the Wild to move him.

Reactions: Blueboy

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Fair enough, I think Kap and Dermott are both valuable pieces with Top 6 and Top 4 potential within the next year or two. They’re definitely NHLers and looking to be bigger impact players.

Wild have no need at all for kapanen. Once again wild have abundant of wingers and need to move one for Kaprizov. Yeah no.

Wild can easily get 1st, & young c prospect for Dumba. Guerin isn't dumb either

As it's right now, kapanen won't play in wild top 6

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's more a question of motivation than value. Before worrying about value we need to figure out a reason for Minnesota to want to turn Dumba into a 2RW and a 2LD (assuming for the moment that that's what Kapanen and Dermott are)... and there really isn't one.

Reactions: Blueboy

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
It's more a question of motivation than value. Before worrying about value we need to figure out a reason for Minnesota to want to turn Dumba into a 2RW and a 2LD (assuming for the moment that that's what Kapanen and Dermott are)... and there really isn't one.

Kapanen won't even play in wild top 6.

Wild will have parise, staal, Kaprizov
Fiala, Rask (,another c) Zucker
Greenway, J Elk, Zuccarello
Hartman, Koivu (Sturm) , Foligno

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Wild have no need at all for kapanen. Once again wild have abundant of wingers and need to move one for Kaprizov. Yeah no.

Wild can easily get 1st, & young c prospect for Dumba. Guerin isn't dumb either

As it's right now, kapanen won't play in wild top 6

Edmonton would certainly move their 1st for a player like Dumba, but they don't have the required C prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad