OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
Something about Dana White's plans getting messed up sure puts a smile on my face.

Keep looking past the current events UFC and fighters and you'll end up a joke like Overeem and Rashad Evans.

Well, to be fair, Overeem was winning his fight pretty decisively until he got bombarded in the third round. Rashad on the other hand, completely forgot how to fight and is an utter mess.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well, to be fair, Overeem was winning his fight pretty decisively until he got bombarded in the third round. Rashad on the other hand, completely forgot how to fight and is an utter mess.

He was asking for it, fought with his hands around his waist all fight like it was some sort of sparring session with his son. Can't go into a fight in the UFC and take it as a warm-up, especially when you are fighting a guy that is 265lbs. One punch can change a fight, we've seen it numerous times.

I'm curious who failed the drug test from the Belfort card.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i had aldo 3-2

rashad sucks and he under estimated nog

Reem was fighting to counter a surge from bigfoot and expected bigfoot to throw 1-2 punch combos like he had all fight, except bigfoot threw 1-2 and then hesitated fior a millisecond and threw it again. reem got outsmarted by a guy who looks like he just got defrosted. i wouldnt want to be the next person reem fights.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I had it 3-2 Edgar. But Aldo did more damage in the first two rounds. I guess you really have to beat the champ bad to win a decision.

BadMedicine*

Dana White has let MMA follow boxing straight down the tubes into the trash heap.

I was excited for several years and watched many shows, bought PPV ect, now i dont waste my time anymore, so many bad decision that stink of mob action like in boxing, sooooo many bad decisions that it stinks, sooooo much rampant performance enhancing drug use what could have been a long term replacement for boxing is now one or two scandals away from being knocked into the backseat.

Even the TUF show sucks now, nothing new nothing exciting, just a bunch of fighters buddies and trainers getting shots at the big show, nothing homegrown anymore.

Dana White doesnt have the balls to accept constructive criticism when it comes to the UFC and MMA in general, he is a business focused man who has lost touch with his fanbase totally, the sport is surrounded by drug addicts , cocaine use is rampant and all over the internet, wasted fighters embarrasing the sport every second day, its turned trashy and i wouldnt let me boys watch it now. I used to but not now.

Fighters like Anderson Silva who take the easy road, referees who stop fights when men like Silva land pepper punches with no power, fighters like the Diaz brothers who crap on the sport that provides them with a living constantly and then go out and throw pepper pinches like schoolyard kids, you know this is their way of thumbing their noses at the judges right? This is a cowardly way to ensure you dont lose decisions, by pepper punching guys 200 times and hoping for a cut or an easy cheap-arse stoppage because the opponent loses his balance and gets PEPPERED by 20 unanswered shots, for gods sakes the refs stop half the fight because of this cowardly tactic. These are fights guys are NOT winning, these are cheap sleazy decisions by refs that support this ***** style of fighting, i wouldnt give a Diaz brother a title shot if they were the last men standing because of this cheezy tactic they use and their crappy attitudes. Bid mouths and pepper punches. I dont need to be a UFC fighter to know what I am seeing, remember we got to watch the best in the world when the MMA scene burst open on the sporting scene, now its just watered down crap.

Remeber that after boxings sleazy affair with Don King and the fifteen years of crooked BS , fans were hungry for the MMA scene, but stupid managment decisions and a lack of future vision have already tarnished MMAs image to the fans, remember just one or two bad decisions by judges and we all start to relive boxings sleazy reality again and we are as quick to drop MMA as we all were to drop boxing, remember MMA became popular because there was a void DANA WHITE a void that existed because fans left boxing and didnt go back to a combat sport at all, soon people will follow my and my friends lead and abandon another sport that is getting sleazier by the year, cheaper by the show.

I dont think Dana White has the vision to have anticipated that his sport would have to answer for boxings wrongs, that the microscope would be set on high power from day one and that fans would be quick to abandon ship as soon as they felt like they were being ignored and crapped on like they were in boxing.

No pre-emptive strategys were put in place or even considered when MMAs growth was planned and initiated, this is what happens when leadership loses touch with the fanbase, when leadership is afraid to face reality and truth from a fans perspective either by choice or because there are minions below the leaders purposefully insulating them from the reality the sport is experiencing.

The UFC and MMA in general need a multi-million dollar investment in PR and it needs to be catalysed by fans not by some big PR company. Dana White needs to get back to the roots of the sport he has fostered and grown for so many years already. I have some great ideas maybe he needs to find me, ha ha ha. Heres one for starters---lets have a massive show like GSP vs the pepper puncher Silva, but for a twist we let everyone who buys a ticket or a PPV have one official vote in deciding the winner a bout decided in the arena and in cyberspace by the people who are paying for your ride, there are no commission rules concerning judging outcomes, just refereeing, we pay so we get to SAY. Hey Dana, do you have any guts left or has the money taken those as well as your pride?? Let the fans have their say after all they pay ALL of your salarys, you earn nothing without the fans and I havent seen such fan disrespect since boxing was in its heyday. jepper Dana should be really pissed off at my comments, should I be scared? Or should he be sending me a job offer for being critical but informative and helpfull, after all I am full of suggestions which catalyse my criticisms, i am not just being an arse and putting down the sport or its evolution.

MMA in general has hit a major hump, maybe the dollars are still rolling in but that can end as fast as it started, it is time for some curative therapy, where are you Dana White when your sport needs you the most? Not your business dummy, the sport that aloowed you to start this business you own and operate. They are tow different things and you have forgotten about that seperation and allowed everything to meld together , maybe it was your ego, maybe it was the natural evolution of MMA, whatever the case you need to step back, regroup and then STEP BACK UP AGAIN and lead this sport as you fought to earn the right to do for so many long years.
Oh yea, Dana if you are looking for me to offer me a job thats Moma2 you will need to be googleing ok? Any good secretary can find me in a few hours online.

BadMedicine*

i had aldo 3-2

rashad sucks and he under estimated nog

Reem was fighting to counter a surge from bigfoot and expected bigfoot to throw 1-2 punch combos like he had all fight, except bigfoot threw 1-2 and then hesitated fior a millisecond and threw it again. reem got outsmarted by a guy who looks like he just got defrosted. i wouldnt want to be the next person reem fights.

Reem is a steroid freak, Bigfoot is a natural anomaly, Reem should be banned from the sport in fact it makes me sick to think of what kind of coward would use performance enhancing drugs in a one -on- one combat sport, that the lowest of low cowardly actions a man could do, cheat against another man against one man, simply cowardly and after I know a fighter has used steroids i dont want to see them again and I dont want my kids to see them again and if they are promoted and televised then me and my sons will not be watching any of the crap, cheaters suck, and cowards suck more. There is no reputation recovery from steroid use for a combat athlete, you and your accomplishments are tarnished forever.

I competed with men who used steroids when I was in high school, yes they were big and yes they were able to absorb enormous amounts of punishment to major muscle groups, and this reduces initial fatigue which is key to winning combat sports. So a fighter on roids just needs to power through one or two maybe 3 rounds and overwhelm his opponent taking his best shots and simply absorbing inhuman amounts of punishment, not to mention the bravery that you get when you know you have an advantage. I stopped playing organised football because of giant piles of crap who shot roids into their arses and were like elephants who just wanted to try to injure better athletes with their bulk and invincibility to pain and damages from a normal humans perspective--by the way I was still a five sport athlete with the letter on my jacket to prove it even without Football and the cowardly cheaters and coaches who indirectly supported them as Dana supports his monneymakers. As I said I have reduced my MMA viewing and if things dont change for the better in a definable way very soon I will stop watching completely as many others are already doing. I dont care how many tickets to events get pushed on the public, that is not what will give MMA longevity as a popularly accepted sport the peoples court will decide that just as they should decide the GSP/Pepper puncher Silva fight. Fairy reffing and cowardly managment lead us to all have to watch 200 unanswered pepper punches my little sisters could outdo to decide a combat bout, ha ha ha ha ,this sport is regressing at light speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nicely put Badmedicine.

Dana trying to be bigger than the sport is part of the problem. Buying out the competition to the point where you have too many fighters is part of the problem. Having cards because you have too many fighters, that end up being watered down is part of the problem.

I agree with you on Silva and the Diaz brothers. There was a time where Dana didn't allow that crap. He was all about getting rid of scum, making sure title fights were super fights.

PepsiFiend

Feb 19, 2009
Not too surprised on the Overeem Fight! Outside of Werdum, the guy has fought nothing but cans since his last loss to Kharitonov. The guy has decent striking with insane power, but has terrible striking defense, which he as able to get away with in K-1 with the bigger gloves. Mind you, while he did win a K-1 grand prix, he never had to go through the likes of Badr Hari or Semmy Schilt.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Responding to the beginning of the thread:

Hendricks looks to easily have the most powerful hands in the welterweight division, but he'd flat out get embarrassed by either of the top 3 ranked guys. I'd never have a chance to even touch GSP or Conduit. If he fought Diaz, Diaz would take it and use that opportunity to knock Hendricks out.

Hendricks is just trying to take a shortcut by creating a ton of hype and positive PR for himself.

Really, did they give Huston Alexander a title shot after he had a few knocksouts? Hell no. This guy was pretty boring before 2012 and obviously just having one good year isn't good enough to get a title shot.

Just look at Alex Gustavson. He fought incredible opponents last year. He beat the hell out of Shogun, showed us once again that Silva can't compete with top 10 ranked guys and made quick work of the janitor. There were rumblings of him getting a title shot, but I'm pretty sure that was just hype for when the time really comes so that they can say "it's been a long time coming" during the ad campaign.

In reality, Gustavson is nowhere near ready for John Jones.(who I hope gets his ass handed to him VS Sonnon, because I can't stand Jones) Gustavson needs to clean up his standup a lot otherwise Jones will knock him out before they get into the championship rounds. His footwork is clumsy at times and I don't like his jab. There's no way he's going to control the pace of the fight in a competition with Jones.

Gustavson has been much more impressive than Hendricks imo. If you compare the two you'd think that Hendriks was in Strikeforce, to be honest. I don't even see Hendriks lasting five years as a gatekeeper.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Responding to the beginning of the thread:

Hendricks looks to easily have the most powerful hands in the welterweight division, but he'd flat out get embarrassed by either of the top 3 ranked guys. I'd never have a chance to even touch GSP or Conduit. If he fought Diaz, Diaz would take it and use that opportunity to knock Hendricks out.

Hendricks is just trying to take a shortcut by creating a ton of hype and positive PR for himself.

Really, did they give Huston Alexander a title shot after he had a few knocksouts? Hell no. This guy was pretty boring before 2012 and obviously just having one good year isn't good enough to get a title shot.

Just look at Alex Gustavson. He fought incredible opponents last year. He beat the hell out of Shogun, showed us once again that Silva can't compete with top 10 ranked guys and made quick work of the janitor. There were rumblings of him getting a title shot, but I'm pretty sure that was just hype for when the time really comes so that they can say "it's been a long time coming" during the ad campaign.

In reality, Gustavson is nowhere near ready for John Jones.(who I hope gets his ass handed to him VS Sonnon, because I can't stand Jones) Gustavson needs to clean up his standup a lot otherwise Jones will knock him out before they get into the championship rounds. His footwork is clumsy at times and I don't like his jab. There's no way he's going to control the pace of the fight in a competition with Jones.

Gustavson has been much more impressive than Hendricks imo. If you compare the two you'd think that Hendriks was in Strikeforce, to be honest. I don't even see Hendriks lasting five years as a gatekeeper.
What is Hendricks creating? All he's done is win fights. He doesn't go out and call people out and talk about their penises like other fighters.

Might also want to look at Houston Alexaner's record and Hendricks. Houston had 2 KO's and then got knocked out. Hendricks is 9-1 in the UFC. He's paid his dues.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What is Hendricks creating? All he's done is win fights. He doesn't go out and call people out and talk about their penises like other fighters.

Might also want to look at Houston Alexaner's record and Hendricks. Houston had 2 KO's and then got knocked out. Hendricks is 9-1 in the UFC. He's paid his dues.

He was more or less fighting garbage before he lost to Rick Story. That's not paying his dues. He's never fought anyone. You want to know what it means to pay your dues?

Look at Dan Henderson. There's a guy who's paid for being a dick, spent a decade paying his dues and still obviously hasn't finished paying them.

Someone who's paid dues? LOL Look at Skyscraped Struve. He comes in and gets knocked out by Junior. Puts a couple of good looking wins together and then gets knocked out by Big Country. Gets a couple of knockouts and then earns a fight with Travis Browne, who knocks him out and into next week. Poor kid. He's on a 4 fight win streak. (2 subs 2KO) and now he's going to have a meaningless fight with Mark Hunt. There's someone who's paying dues.

Decision over Mike Pierce, who's been decent at times.
Fitch and Kampman knockouts have nothing to do with skill. He just tossed the power in there and somehow the fighters didn't see that coming.
Not being able to finish Koscheck in 15 minutes is laughable.
If he loses to Ellenberger, who's lost to Kampman and Condit, he'll be going way down the pecking order. The best thing he'd be able to hope for is to either fight Kampman again or or get a shot at Mcdonald in the event that he gets finished by Condit.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I had it 3-2 Aldo, what did you guys think?

I had 3-2 aldo, too, but I would've given one of those rounds 10-8 Aldo. I think that Aldo could do more damage to your leg kicking it than he could beating it with an aluminium baseball bat. I seriously felt uncomfortable watching Edgar get taken down by leg kicks. I think he ate 3-4 good ones before he had those two which totally took him down. 2 more of those and I'd have a hard time believing that Edgar would be getting up. It would essentially be a KO by ref stoppage.

When Henzo Gracie had his legs destroyed by Hughes the ref should've called that fight a lot sooner. The dude did nothing to protect his legs. It was like he was trying to do a Diaz/Rampage impression there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He was more or less fighting garbage before he lost to Rick Story. That's not paying his dues. He's never fought anyone. You want to know what it means to pay your dues?

Look at Dan Henderson. There's a guy who's paid for being a dick, spent a decade paying his dues and still obviously hasn't finished paying them.

Someone who's paid dues? LOL Look at Skyscraped Struve. He comes in and gets knocked out by Junior. Puts a couple of good looking wins together and then gets knocked out by Big Country. Gets a couple of knockouts and then earns a fight with Travis Browne, who knocks him out and into next week. Poor kid. He's on a 4 fight win streak. (2 subs 2KO) and now he's going to have a meaningless fight with Mark Hunt. There's someone who's paying dues.

Decision over Mike Pierce, who's been decent at times.
Fitch and Kampman knockouts have nothing to do with skill. He just tossed the power in there and somehow the fighters didn't see that coming.
Not being able to finish Koscheck in 15 minutes is laughable.
If he loses to Ellenberger, who's lost to Kampman and Condit, he'll be going way down the pecking order. The best thing he'd be able to hope for is to either fight Kampman again or or get a shot at Mcdonald in the event that he gets finished by Condit.

It's more than Alexander did. It's more than a lot of people have done that are getting title fights.
What did Edgar do? Drop a weight class.

What did Diaz do? Flip out.

Belfort and Machida did very little, but got shots at Jones.

Bonnar gets a fight.

There are numerous guys out there that did less and get a shot because they had a name. Overeem and Rashad are a perfect example of guys that were pencilled in because of who they were not what they can do. Then when you have a guy beating everyone you put in front of him, the UFC says no.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's more than Alexander did. It's more than a lot of people have done that are getting title fights.
What did Edgar do? Drop a weight class.

What did Diaz do? Flip out.

Belfort and Machida did very little, but got shots at Jones.

Bonnar gets a fight.

There are numerous guys out there that did less and get a shot because they had a name. Overeem and Rashad are a perfect example of guys that were pencilled in because of who they were not what they can do. Then when you have a guy beating everyone you put in front of him, the UFC says no.

LOL Eager was a champion.
Diaz had been dominating for years.
Machida and Belfort were playing in a water down division.
Bonnar had been fighting exciting fights since before half of the people came to HFboards. Anderson hadn't done too many light heavyweight fights before that. No, the belt wasn't on the line.

If you actually go and look at what's available in the light heavyweight division, I think you'll kinda laugh at what you wrote there, dude.

There's never been many people worthy of a title shot for a long time. It's funny that Shogun, who came here past his prime, was able to win the belt.
It's funny how often the belt changed hands after Iceman lost it.
It's definitely funny to see Rashad now losing to Lil Nog.

I think they need to change the weight division around.
Maybe Middle weight could be 190. Light Heavyweight could be 220 and heavyweight could go up 5 pounds.
I have a feeling that Sonnen will be too short and too slow for Jones at 205. If that's the case then there's nobody around who's worthy of a title shot. In that case, if Anderson Silva doesn't want to fight Jones... do we just give Jones a holiday for 2 years until the rest of the world has caught upto him?

Someone has to get a shot. And that guy isn't Hendricks.
Check out ALL of Diaz's fights. His grappling game is sick and if George isn't capable or ready to constantly attack Diaz's legs(kicking, I mean. Not BJJ), George will be in trouble. I'm pretty sure we're going to see George destroy Diaz's legs. It's going to look much prettier than the Condit fight, but Diaz still deserves the title shot way more than Hendricks ever will.
Check out all of Condit's fights. He's a really good all around technical striker.
I liked Hardy. But he was one of those guys who got the shot because nobody better was around to deserve it and take on george.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
What you guys think of Pettis calling for a fight with Aldo? That would be a crazy fight and then maybe set up lamas vs KZ for #1 contender

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What you guys think of Pettis calling for a fight with Aldo? That would be a crazy fight and then maybe set up lamas vs KZ for #1 contender

??? I heard he wanted to fight Benson Henderson. And that's OK in my books since he's already beaten Benson... but I think he's got 1 more fight to go before he gets a shot.

PepsiFiend

Feb 19, 2009
??? I heard he wanted to fight Benson Henderson. And that's OK in my books since he's already beaten Benson... but I think he's got 1 more fight to go before he gets a shot.

He has a guaranteed title shot but he has to wait for the Bendo/Melendez fight first, so I think he wants to drop down for a title shot rather than wait again!

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Ahh, the Dana bashing has even entered HFOil. People don't even realize he is 4th on the scale of ownership of that company. Lorenzo and Frank Frettita own the most, some Sheikh from Abu Dhabi owns another big chunk and then Dana owns like 10%. All conflicted decisions are actually settled by a jiu jitsu match between Frank and Lorenzo.

The judging and ref thing is purely an athletic commission thing. Fighters themselves can petition to have certain refs/judges from being involved in their fights, but very few actually do (the last one was Brock Lesnar requesting Mazzagatti not ref his 2nd Mir fight). But I agree, they are terrible, and actually Alberta has some of the worst refs/judges in MMA in the world. Just be happy they don't get a lot of attention like the NSAC judges. Adyldye Byrd and Cecil Peoples however should never be involved in judging.

Although I'm sure you are just trolling when you start talking about Silva throwing punches with no power in them. His punches are so accurate that he doesn't need to throw everything into them. When was the last time he even went to a decision? Maia I think? Nick Diaz isn't trying to thumb his nose at judges, he's mad at the person in front of him because that person actually wants to fight him and that makes Nick Diaz angry, the kid has issues, that's what makes him so interesting.

And actually, you are really doing exactly what the UFC wants you to do, concentrate your hate on Dana, and let the guys in the back like Lorenzo, Joe Silva and Sean Shelby do their jobs. Just in case you didn't know, Joe Silva and Sean Shelby are the two guys that actually make all the fights, Joe makes the 155 and up fights, Sean the lighter guys. And if you think TuF sucks now, you obviously haven't watched this year, because the guys on their are talented guys, that I've actually been following about 6 or 7 of them well before the show even started.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Would be an amazing fight! I am kind of confused though because I thought he wanted a rematch with Bendo. If Aldo is planning on going to 55 there is gonna be some insane fights.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Ahh, the Dana bashing has even entered HFOil. People don't even realize he is 4th on the scale of ownership of that company. Lorenzo and Frank Frettita own the most, some Sheikh from Abu Dhabi owns another big chunk and then Dana owns like 10%. All conflicted decisions are actually settled by a jiu jitsu match between Frank and Lorenzo.

The judging and ref thing is purely an athletic commission thing. Fighters themselves can petition to have certain refs/judges from being involved in their fights, but very few actually do (the last one was Brock Lesnar requesting Mazzagatti not ref his 2nd Mir fight). But I agree, they are terrible, and actually Alberta has some of the worst refs/judges in MMA in the world. Just be happy they don't get a lot of attention like the NSAC judges. Adyldye Byrd and Cecil Peoples however should never be involved in judging.

Although I'm sure you are just trolling when you start talking about Silva throwing punches with no power in them. His punches are so accurate that he doesn't need to throw everything into them. When was the last time he even went to a decision? Maia I think? Nick Diaz isn't trying to thumb his nose at judges, he's mad at the person in front of him because that person actually wants to fight him and that makes Nick Diaz angry, the kid has issues, that's what makes him so interesting.

And actually, you are really doing exactly what the UFC wants you to do, concentrate your hate on Dana, and let the guys in the back like Lorenzo, Joe Silva and Sean Shelby do their jobs. Just in case you didn't know, Joe Silva and Sean Shelby are the two guys that actually make all the fights, Joe makes the 155 and up fights, Sean the lighter guys. And if you think TuF sucks now, you obviously haven't watched this year, because the guys on their are talented guys, that I've actually been following about 6 or 7 of them well before the show even started.

/agree

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Someone has to get a shot. And that guy isn't Hendricks.
Check out ALL of Diaz's fights. His grappling game is sick and if George isn't capable or ready to constantly attack Diaz's legs(kicking, I mean. Not BJJ), George will be in trouble. I'm pretty sure we're going to see George destroy Diaz's legs. It's going to look much prettier than the Condit fight, but Diaz still deserves the title shot way more than Hendricks ever will.
Check out all of Condit's fights. He's a really good all around technical striker.
I liked Hardy. But he was one of those guys who got the shot because nobody better was around to deserve it and take on george.

Diaz has nothing for George. George will circle away from him ala Condit, landing jabs repeatedly. About the time Diaz starts flapping his arms in the air out of frustration, George will put him on his back and ground and pound him. GSP's top Defence is too strong for Diaz's bjj.

Unanimous decision 50-45, all 3 judges.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Would be an amazing fight! I am kind of confused though because I thought he wanted a rematch with Bendo. If Aldo is planning on going to 55 there is gonna be some insane fights.

I think it's because Bendo is fighting Gil next and he doesn't want to wait around again for the fight. So a title shot at 145 would be the next best thing for him. Although, he has a much better chance of beating Bendo then Aldo.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
I think it's because Bendo is fighting Gil next and he doesn't want to wait around again for the fight. So a title shot at 145 would be the next best thing for him. Although, he has a much better chance of beating Bendo then Aldo.

I agree he has a better chance at Bendo, although Pettis vs Aldo is one hell of a stylistic matchup.

Dana said at the post fight press conference that Pettis texted saying he wants to go to 145 to challenge Aldo, so it must be that he doesn't want to wait for the winner of Bendo and gil.

I'm a big believer in Pettis tho, I think he could possibly hold the title at 145 and 155 even tho that is quite the mountain to climb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->