OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the issue with the title fights is it isnt just about "whos next" its also about money. One mistake the UFC made in the past was the whole Chuck vs Wanderlei issue. The fans wanted to see that fight in 2003, 2004, 2005. the ufc and pride couldnt work it out and make it happen, by the time we actually got to see the most anticipated fight of its kind they were both past prime and we didnt get the fight we really wanted.

I think this is important because as a fan i would rather watch GSP vs Diaz then GSP vs Hendricks. even though I know hendricks deserves the title shot. We dont even know how many fights diaz will have after this, if he loses another and weeds out again then the ufc may never be in a position to have this fight ever again.

As for GSP picking where he fights i dont think that happens, it is just business sense to have him fight in Montreal, the same way they always have a brazilian for the Rio cards or bisping on the UK cards.
So what good is seeing GSP vs Diaz if Diaz isn't worthy? If the guy is that close to being weeded out he doesn't deserve a shot at the title.

Then you have Edgar who lost twice in a row and he gets a shot at Aldo?

Sonnen coming off a loss going into a new division gets a shot at a title?

This is almost getting as bad as boxing. All about money and less about the sport.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Read mmajunkie for the first time in awhile and caught their Sunday Junkie.

Lot of people pissed off at the UFC.

People are mad that the UFC has 3 up an coming championship fights that include fighters that are coming off of loses. Not really shocking as this has been brought up, but sounds like more and more people are starting to hate White.

Then people were mad that one of those guys not only is coming off a loss, but coming off a drug suspension. Questions were asked as to why the UFC would want to promote something like that. Again I agree.

And finally someone made a good point and asked why does GSP have so much power? Not only is he fighting in MTL every fight, but he is picking who he gets to fight. One guy questioned whether it's even fair to question Diaz when he doesn't show up for the media scrums.

On the bright side and I really had no idea that this happened, but people were tipping their hat at Dana for not putting all that many fighters from TUF on the finale. Apparently fighters were warned during the show that they need to start showing that they deserved to make it. Also didn't know Mike Ricci went into MMA, have to think that nose of his is going to hurt his career:sarcasm:

There's a quote out there stating GSP didn't specifically ask for Montreal, that he'd fight Diaz anywhere.

There's little doubt that a lot of people want to watch GSP vs Diaz. I'm a huge Hendricks fan and I think it's smart for him to be on the undercard. I mean honestly, what's the chance this fight even happens? Diaz is 50-50 to make any of the press conferences, 80-20 to fail another drug test and GSP could always end up hurt again.

GSP will have no problem beating Diaz, none. Hendricks just needs to be patient, his chance will come.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
So what good is seeing GSP vs Diaz if Diaz isn't worthy? If the guy is that close to being weeded out he doesn't deserve a shot at the title.

GSP hates him, which generates interest, which equals $$$. If Diaz fights anyone in the top 5, he could easily lose, which would take away a huge PPV opportunity.

There's absolutely NOBODY in that division that can compete with Aldo. I'd much rather see Edgar vs Aldo then watch Aldo destroy more cans. The division is extremely weak.

This is more about TUF then about anything else. The show is dying, I think this is a last ditch attempt to save it. Sonnen will get destroyed, retire and become a full time FOX analyst. I agree he shouldn't have been given this opportunity but Jones has cleaned out the division. I'm predicting that Jones fights Gustafsson towards the end of 2013 and then moves to Heavyweight.

The UFC is giving us fights that the fans (supposedly) want to see, not by who deserves it. Right or wrong.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

This is almost getting as bad as boxing. All about money and less about the sport.

Its also about what the fans want to see. Dana knows the fans want GSP vs Diaz on both sides. HE also knows that it will be a huge draw that will likely finish off Diaz who is pretty much finished anyways and will GSP another tune up for a big fight with a guy like Hendricks who will be more well known in a year.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
GSP hates him, which generates interest, which equals $$$. If Diaz fights anyone in the top 5, he could easily lose, which would take away a huge PPV opportunity.

There's absolutely NOBODY in that division that can compete with Aldo. I'd much rather see Edgar vs Aldo then watch Aldo destroy more cans. The division is extremely weak.

This is more about TUF then about anything else. The show is dying, I think this is a last ditch attempt to save it. Sonnen will get destroyed, retire and become a full time FOX analyst. I agree he shouldn't have been given this opportunity but Jones has cleaned out the division. I'm predicting that Jones fights Gustafsson towards the end of 2013 and then moves to Heavyweight.

The UFC is giving us fights that the fans (supposedly) want to see, not by who deserves it. Right or wrong.

i have read rumors on different occasions that sonnen has no plan to fight bones and will be replaced with Hendo when the time comes. it could be true, just like it panned out that sonnen knew hendo was hurt a week before anyone else reported it, thats why he started calling bones out and causing a scene.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Its also about what the fans want to see. Dana knows the fans want GSP vs Diaz on both sides. HE also knows that it will be a huge draw that will likely finish off Diaz who is pretty much finished anyways and will GSP another tune up for a big fight with a guy like Hendricks who will be more well known in a year.

also having hendricks on the same card as GSP/Diaz will allow him to be seen, impress and grab the mic and talk all kinds of smack about gsp, thats a matchmaker ppv dream.

if someone asked me if i would rather watch gsp/diaz or gsp/hendricks i pick the diaz fight every time. even if you say you'll give me gsp/hendricks + $100 instead im still picking diaz.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005

depends what your definition is of unworthy, hendricks has plowed through some cans then KO's some top guys, Diaz has been in the top P4P discussion for years. the fans want diaz/gsp. gsp wants the diaz fight and this could be their last chance to give that fight to the fans.

Edgar lost x2 both were very close decisions. he went 10 rounds with the LW champion. who else is Aldo supposed to fight? that whole division is bunk so at least they give us the best fight possible.

sonnen - bones? thats just Pejorative Slured, i would be very surprised if there wasnt something up the ufc or sonnens sleeve. its just ratings on TUF and it will flop imo.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
depends what your definition is of unworthy, hendricks has plowed through some cans then KO's some top guys, Diaz has been in the top P4P discussion for years. the fans want diaz/gsp. gsp wants the diaz fight and this could be their last chance to give that fight to the fans.

Edgar lost x2 both were very close decisions. he went 10 rounds with the LW champion. who else is Aldo supposed to fight? that whole division is bunk so at least they give us the best fight possible.

sonnen - bones? thats just Pejorative Slured, i would be very surprised if there wasnt something up the ufc or sonnens sleeve. its just ratings on TUF and it will flop imo.

Sonnen/Bones is really the only one that doesn't make sense. GSP/Diaz does because GSP has done everything the UFC has asked of him for 5 years and now he wants something himself. As for Aldo/Edgar. 145 is by far the weakest division in the UFC minus the womens division. The gap between Aldo and the rest of the division is insane. Even 125 which has been around for a year has 5 guys that can easily win the title (MM, Dodson, Benivedez, Uncle Creepy and Da Silva). But 145 has Aldo, and that's it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Good card the other day.

Velasquez just dominated the heck out of JDS. Not sure when the last time a champ looked like a chump. Curious if Velasquez can beat Overeem, although Overeem needs to pass drug tests and not push any women.

Jim and Joe, heck of a bout.

Leben shouldn't have been on the main card.

Philippou quitely has a 5 fight winning streak.

Duffee who I didn't see sure made his money with a KO of the night. Won 4x the money by getting a KO. Doubt he ever goes anywhere, but will be one of those guys that can end it at any given time.

Hope Belfort knocks Bisping out. Sick of this guy being talked about for title shots, simply because he is the best fighter from England.

156 looks like the next big card. All sorts of fights that will have implications on who could be next for a title shot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dan Severn pulls the pin.

12-3 record in his 50's. Granted not top competition, but not a bad way to stay in shape and make some coin.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
good to see legends of the sport retireing in good health

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
good to see legends of the sport retireing in good health

Being knocked out only 3 times in 127 fights probably has a lot to do with that. And two of those were in his last 3 outings.

Severn was the type of guy that was damn near impossible to knock out. Went for the waste and then the takedown.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I don't think Diaz deserves the shot either but it's not as if Hendricks has looked unstoppable every fight. Hendricks can wait, Diaz himself has only lost to the divisons clear #2 and it wasn't by much.

Frankie Edgar getting a title shot is completely just. Not only was he fighting in a weight class too high for him before, he was champion. The Hendeson fights were very close and there is no clear challenger for Aldo anywhere close to the level Edgar is on.

Sonnen is just getting a shot because at least he makes it tough on guys. At least it's not anything close to as bad as Bonner getting a shot. Sonnen is world class but i would have to agree he's getting a good ride.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
also having hendricks on the same card as GSP/Diaz will allow him to be seen, impress and grab the mic and talk all kinds of smack about gsp, thats a matchmaker ppv dream.

if someone asked me if i would rather watch gsp/diaz or gsp/hendricks i pick the diaz fight every time. even if you say you'll give me gsp/hendricks + $100 instead im still picking diaz.

Yeah i want to see Diaz get beat up too...lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sapp vs. Overeem at 22 minutes. Then watch at 27 and the expression on Sapp's face.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man do I love seeing Bisping get knocked on his arse. What I love more is I shouldn't hear about him getting a title shot for at least a year now.

With TUF being on so often I quit watching them, but I think I have to get back into them so that I can lockout for a guy like Sarafian. Although is there anyway to watch the Brazil tufs?

Not sure what to make of the Gonzaga-Rothwell fight. Rothwell just got caught.

Really looking forward to Rampage's last fight in the UFC. The prelims really look decent too, with Guida, Bader and a matchup of Grant-WIman.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
im looking forward the the page glover fight as well. glover is getting hyped just like the other aggresive brazilian strikers before him, aka thiago silva, luis cane etc etc. if he puts a stamp on rampage then i would consider him legit. sure rampage is way past his prime but he is still a tough guy to finish and power is the last thing to go. i love old slampage so hopefully we see him put on a good fight.

Oct 15, 2008
im looking forward the the page glover fight as well. glover is getting hyped just like the other aggresive brazilian strikers before him, aka thiago silva, luis cane etc etc. if he puts a stamp on rampage then i would consider him legit. sure rampage is way past his prime but he is still a tough guy to finish and power is the last thing to go. i love old slampage so hopefully we see him put on a good fight.

Rampage is going to get absolutely slaughtered. Glover is no joke. One of the most dangerous men in the UFC.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Rampage is going to get absolutely slaughtered. Glover is no joke. One of the most dangerous men in the UFC.

beating up kyle kingsbury isnt a huge feat. the beating he put on maldonado was pretty bad but fabio is known for eating alot of shots. 2005 rampage wins this fight no question imo. 2012 rampage gets outworked, but this fight is more a measurement of Glovers badassery. KO rampage and he is a legit threat. struggle to finish like he did against fabio and im not convinced he will beat the machidas/bones of the div.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Missed most of the last event as I didn't realize it started so early, but I caught Rampages last fight and the main event.

Expected more from Glover, but then again Rampage isn't easily finished.

Johnson-Dodson was a really good one. End to End, both guys had their chances.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Something about Dana White's plans getting messed up sure puts a smile on my face.

Keep looking past the current events UFC and fighters and you'll end up a joke like Overeem and Rashad Evans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad