MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Are people still interested in this fight? Maybe I'm in the minority but I couldn't care less about this matchup.

Fantastic news if true. An actual relevant fight with two guys who actually dislike each other. I have zero interest in seeing him throttle Diaz again.

not too interested in the Pacquiao fight, good level of interest in the Colby-Jorge fight

I’ll watch the Pacquiao fight as it will be a spectacle but I’m not expecting Conor to fare that well. Pacquiao is still fighting high level fighters and can still do major damage. Like he just beat Keith Thurman....don’t know what Conor is thinking (other than dollar signs lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: m9 and BGDDYKWL

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The Conor and Dana texts are kind of funny to read.

A. Dana talking like a complete bro and ending every sentence with "kid" ("I'm trying, we're gonna get you a fight in a few months kid."
B. Dana ghosting Conor for a little bit and Conor having to hunt him down (there's a few texts where Dana doesn't respond for a few days and Conor has to get on him again)
C. Dana saying they would no longer be able to call themselves promoters if they ever booked Conor vs Diego Sanchez LOL

Reactions: CDJ

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
McGregor vs Pettis would be fun fight...

Like with Cerrone, it's a very winnable fight for McGregor against a semi big name fighter

I'm surprised it's never talked about as an option

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pretty clear he’s just trying to get a couple wins over names that are past it to use those as justification for a title shot

Marvin Vettori vs. Omari Akhmedov added to UFC 256 lineup

Little rematch from 2017. I expect Vettori to take this one

next weeks card has potential to go down as the worst of the year. Co-main is Yorgan de Castro vs Carlos Felipe. Both coming off of losses. Yeeeeesh

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
McGregor vs Pettis would be fun fight...

Like with Cerrone, it's a very winnable fight for McGregor against a semi big name fighter

I'm surprised it's never talked about as an option
It's not a bad idea, but I think Pettis is too far gone. Maybe Cowboy was, too, but he was still a top 10 LW at the time and they had already laid the ground work for that fight before Cowboy had lost to Tony and Gaethje. Pettis is now a barely ranked WW and that fight would be out of nowhere.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't see Conor-Pacquiao happening. It's too dangerous of a fight for him. Pacquiao isn't Mayweather. He's not going to toy with Conor and box him up enough to end the fight. He's going to look to knock Conor's f***ing head off. I think Conor and his manager will say they wanted to do it and Pacquiao agreed, but the UFC won't let it happen.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Conor/Nate 3 makes the most sense if Jorge is gonna fight Covington

then you can do Nate/Jorge 2 whenever you want

Nate basically has 2 fights left and those are them- it’s just a matter of when he wants to have them

member 51464

I think Conor/Nate 3 makes the most sense if Jorge is gonna fight Covington

then you can do Nate/Jorge 2 whenever you want

Nate basically has 2 fights left and those are them- it’s just a matter of when he wants to have them
Yes, Jorge should fight Covington. I don't think we need to run back the BMF fight, ever.

I personally am not clamoring for Conor/Nate 3. I don't care if we ever see it. It is kind of wild that the second fight was more than four years ago. Obama was still president for goodness sake, haha.

Conor should stick to trying to cheat boxing fans out of PPV money. I feel like he will either come back only for easy wins (Diego Sanchez, anyone?) or to fight for the strap at 155 if Gaethje upsets Khabib. The former doesn't interest me since his ratio of flash to substance is trending the wrong way, and he doesn't deserve the latter since he is, what, 1-1 all-time at lightweight in the UFC? Get in line or f*** off, you prick (Conor, not you.)

I just have hit my lifetime fill of McGregor and his bullshit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Oh we definitely don’t need to run the BMF fight back, At some point it’s still gonna happen tho lol

Too much casuals cash to be had

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
McGregor would stomp Pettis no question. No real interest there.

I'm hoping for Conor vs Nick Diaz.

People thought Thompson would stomp Pettis too...

I'd rather see a match up that we haven't seen yet, like McGregor vs Pettis, than rehash a fight we've already seen twice...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
People thought Thompson would stomp Pettis too...

I'd rather see a match up that we haven't seen yet, like McGregor vs Pettis, than rehash a fight we've already seen twice...
To be fair, Wonderboy was stomping Pettis until the superman punch.

I can't argue with wanting to see a fresh matchup even though I'm one of the suckers for the trilogy, but Pettis isn't, or shouldn't be, the best option. He should be fighting Poirier, Tony, maybe Hooker. That is, if his goal is to get another title shot. If his goal is just to make the most money, then it is probably Nate or boxing.

But it is Conor. Whenever they can reasonably drop him into a title fight, they will. So Nate, Pettis, Cowboy, Diego, etc. Doesn't matter.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dan Hardy says he’s ready to sign the contract on a return fight

Dan Hardy vs Cerrone at 170, lets do it

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Mcgregor called DC a fat fool on twitter and then challenged Poirier to a charity exhibition without the ufc involved lol

Poirier accepted too.

It will never happen outside the UFC the way they're discussing it on Twitter but I actually think that fight makes a lot of sense. McGregor and Poirier are obviously down to fight each other. They mentioned December for the "charity" fight. Poirier gets the big payday the UFC didn't want to give him to face Tony. Most importantly, Khabib said previously that if he beats Justin and the GSP fight doesn't happen then next man up is Dustin or whoever beats Dustin. So if Conor somehow beats Poirier he gets himself right back into contention for a rematch with Khabib which I'm sure is what Dana also wants in the long run.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the idea of a "charity" MMA fight is ridiculous and will never happen. Any posts about it - including this one - are a waste of time.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the idea of a "charity" MMA fight is ridiculous and will never happen. Any posts about it - including this one - are a waste of time.

Everything McGregor is saying/doing publicly is a waste of time. Sanchez, Pacquaio, Poirier charity fight, etc. Him and to a lesser extent Jones are more annoying than interesting right now. Everyone knows neither one of them is serious about retirement but claiming they're retired and then coming out every other week to challenge someone has gotten old.

Having said that, I'd love to see Jones vs. any of Stipe, Ngannou, or even Adesanya after he defends one or two more times. They need to get his situation figured out even more than McGregor's.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think I'm the founding member of the the "Conor vs. Poirier 2" fan club, but now, f*** that. I want Poirier-Tony. I think it's awesome that Poirier told the UFC to go pound sand and then Tony told them to go pound sand when they tried to give him a different opponent and then Poirier told them to go pound sand again when they tried to give him Chandler. Just pay the man and give us that damn fight!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dan Hardy says he’s ready to sign the contract on a return fight

Dan Hardy vs Cerrone at 170, lets do it
Speaking of wasting time, if there was ever a fight that made sense for Nick Diaz...

Cowboy would make sense for Hardy, too. Maybe Pettis. Maybe Lawler (if he weren't facing Perry). Hardy said he'd only come back for a big name, so I think those are the most likely guys.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd be good with Diego Sanchez v Dan Hardy. If Hardy can beat Sanchez then I'd consider him fighting someone up the rankings a bit like Cerrone.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Speaking of wasting time, if there was ever a fight that made sense for Nick Diaz...

Cowboy would make sense for Hardy, too. Maybe Pettis. Maybe Lawler (if he weren't facing Perry). Hardy said he'd only come back for a big name, so I think those are the most likely guys.

Hardy also advocated for a veterans division which I think would be interesting. Since belts don’t really matter to the people that would be in that division you can do catch weight fights and put together some interesting stuff. Use that division to bolster lame cards like the one we have coming up (although in a way that’s kind of the Condit-McGee fight lol)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd be good with Diego Sanchez v Dan Hardy. If Hardy can beat Sanchez then I'd consider him fighting someone up the rankings a bit like Cerrone.
I could be wrong, but I thought Hardy only wanted to come back for one more fight. Just to scratch that itch and challenge himself after having to retire early.

Diego still wouldn't be a bad option, but if you are coming back for one more big challenge, he's not quite the name or challenge as a guy like Cowboy.

Hardy also advocated for a veterans division which I think would be interesting. Since belts don’t really matter to the people that would be in that division you can do catch weight fights and put together some interesting stuff. Use that division to bolster lame cards like the one we have coming up (although in a way that’s kind of the Condit-McGee fight lol)
I don't really get it. The UFC can make whatever catchweight fights they want with whatever veterans they want.

I don't think they want to do it, though. They would rather build a young fighter by having them fight a legend. Although, they do do it occasionally like Shogun-Lil Nog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad