MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Maybe he doesn't use his wrestling because he likes winning bonuses. You could argue that losing fights due to being reckless has cost him money tho too. I think he's awesome tho and love that he fights the way he does. If he's not concerned about his health then I don't see why you should be concerned about it.

Yeah, that's just dumb. Like really dumb. I've been a fan of combat sports for a long time. I've seen boxing matches where the guy dies in the ring. It's not exciting. It's not fun. It's not cool. I feel the same way about Gaethje as Fedor. And BJ Penn. And Chris Leben. And Iceman. Those guys need to be protected from themselves, and the organization isn't doing right by them.

As for JG vs Barboza, he could have easily gotten him down, did the ground and pound thing and still won, and gotten a bonus for it. You do realize you can still KO a guy with ground and pound, right? He could have gone that route and been smart about it as he has an advantage on the ground, but he doesn't. He's simply not a smart fighter. Very low fight IQ, imo because he never uses his other skills.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
As for JG vs Barboza, he could have easily gotten him down, did the ground and pound thing and still won, and gotten a bonus for it. You do realize you can still KO a guy with ground and pound, right? He could have gone that route and been smart about it as he has an advantage on the ground, but he doesn't. He's simply not a smart fighter. Very low fight IQ, imo because he never uses his other skills.
It's a possible outcome, but whether this is a likely outcome or not is not even a question that there appears to be a straightforward way of evaluating. You certainly can't just assert that this is true. The reason is very simple. Why can't I just say the opposite? "If he had done ground and pound, he would not have gotten a bonus." Anything asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, and it's not clear here what might even qualify as evidence.

On a side note, I think an interesting fight in the future might be Felder vs Gillespie.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yeah, that's just dumb. Like really dumb. I've been a fan of combat sports for a long time. I've seen boxing matches where the guy dies in the ring. It's not exciting. It's not fun. It's not cool. I feel the same way about Gaethje as Fedor. And BJ Penn. And Chris Leben. And Iceman. Those guys need to be protected from themselves, and the organization isn't doing right by them.

You can ko a guy by ground and pound, wow you really opened my eyes there. You seriously think these guys don't have people giving them advice on their health? They obviously don't care.

Who said anything about boxing. The few guys who have died fighting mma didn't have long histories of taking punishment in fights. A guy fighting in his first mma fight could get killed in the ring. Thanks for clarifying that watching a guy get killed in the ring is neither exciting or cool tho. Get off your high horse bud.

Reactions: kabidjan18 and m9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gaethje is a threat to everyone in the division. He could realistically also lose to most of the top guys because he is so reckless.

Reactions: m9

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Eddie didn't look good even prior to the finishing sequence.

DJ took a shot or two and I was surprised he couldn't hold his opponent down earlier but then he made it look easy in the second round.

It's very much a flyweight thing. Most flyweights are just near-impossible to hold down. In the UFC, DJ would generally need almost an entire round before starting to win grappling exchanges and establish top control.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Gaethje can beat someone like Kevin Lee or Al Iaquinta the exact same way. They are all similar enough to me that I think any of them can beat each other. By no means are either an easy fight, but they can go either way.
With Gaethje and that reckless style, though, it's hard to win a lot of fights in a row. Eventually, someone is going to catch you.

Reactions: LSCII

member 51464

Anyone watching Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship 5? I am not so sure about this one, guys.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Anyone watching Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship 5? I am not so sure about this one, guys.

Didn't see it but the pictures of the aftermath were brutal. I love some of the violence in MMA but that's not for me.

I can't imagine what Lobov's face will look like if he actually ends up fighting Paulie. He gets clowned a lot because of the thing with Conor but he's a former pro boxer and Lobov is Lobov.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Didn't see it but the pictures of the aftermath were brutal. I love some of the violence in MMA but that's not for me.

I can't imagine what Lobov's face will look like if he actually ends up fighting Paulie. He gets clowned a lot because of the thing with Conor but he's a former pro boxer and Lobov is Lobov.
Yeah, Paulie should light him up and one thing Artem is is tough, so he's probably in for a long, long night.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So Lesnar is back in the news and the speculation seems to be that the DC fight will finally happen in July or August. Apparently they're adding a second July card so it'll either be UFC 240 or 241 and not on the same card as Jones.

Ariel Helwani also says the current plan for Khabib is to return in September in Abu Dhabi against the winner of Holloway/Poirier.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I watched it. Other than being a gong show, the fights were pretty fantastic. The top guy coming out and announcing he was taking half a fighters purse and giving it to his opponent for inactivity was f***ing slimey though, f*** that guy.

Other than that, it was nice to see Leben steamroll someone, I was ready to be very sad, and the main event was a downright brawl.

The "tale of the tape" segments were supposedly off multiple times, when I read Lobov was supposedly 26yrs old I had to do a second take :laugh:, and I thought it was hilarious when they'd say "he carries an MMA record of --- fights!!" While announcing fighters, not saying their actual record because they were for the most part BRUTAL. Entertaining, but you gotta think without drastic change this Bareknuckle thing will be short lived.

Oct 15, 2008
I watched it. Other than being a gong show, the fights were pretty fantastic. The top guy coming out and announcing he was taking half a fighters purse and giving it to his opponent for inactivity was ****ing slimey though, **** that guy.

Other than that, it was nice to see Leben steamroll someone, I was ready to be very sad, and the main event was a downright brawl.

The "tale of the tape" segments were supposedly off multiple times, when I read Lobov was supposedly 26yrs old I had to do a second take :laugh:, and I thought it was hilarious when they'd say "he carries an MMA record of --- fights!!" While announcing fighters, not saying their actual record because they were for the most part BRUTAL. Entertaining, but you gotta think without drastic change this Bareknuckle thing will be short lived.
Leben didn’t get paid. The promoter stiffed him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dana said at UFC 236 that DC-Brock is not being discussed and it looks like it might be the Stipe rematch first. Dana hasn't talked to Brock and he said that DC is still not healthy and has only been in gym for a few weeks.

At this point, I really hope Brock doesn't come back. I didn't like it but I was OK with it because I wanted to see DC get that fight, but if it's not happening very soon, then let it go. Do DC-Stipe and the let the winner of Francis-JDS get the next title shot. If DC hangs onto it through all of that and doesn't retire, then maybe do DC-Jones 3 at HW or maybe then the Brock fight (depending on the rest of the division). Throwing Brock into it now is going to create a logjam.

member 51464

Francis deserves a rematch with Stipe more than Stipe deserves one with DC at this time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dana said at UFC 236 that DC-Brock is not being discussed and it looks like it might be the Stipe rematch first. Dana hasn't talked to Brock and he said that DC is still not healthy and has only been in gym for a few weeks.

At this point, I really hope Brock doesn't come back. I didn't like it but I was OK with it because I wanted to see DC get that fight, but if it's not happening very soon, then let it go. Do DC-Stipe and the let the winner of Francis-JDS get the next title shot. If DC hangs onto it through all of that and doesn't retire, then maybe do DC-Jones 3 at HW or maybe then the Brock fight (depending on the rest of the division). Throwing Brock into it now is going to create a logjam.

I have a feeling Dana's lying and they're just waiting to make a big announcement for a fight in late July or August. One of the reasons is because Dana has done it before but also the USADA factor. I don't see Lesnar being one of those guys who agrees to being randomly tested unless he's fighting soon.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Francis deserves a rematch with Stipe more than Stipe deserves one with DC at this time.
Francis probably deserves the title shot over Stipe now let alone if he also beats JDS.

I have a feeling Dana's lying and they're just waiting to make a big announcement for a fight in late July or August. One of the reasons is because Dana has done it before but also the USADA factor. I don't see Lesnar being one of those guys who agrees to being randomly tested unless he's fighting soon.
You definitely have to take everything Dana says with a grain of salt, but it seems very unnecessary for him to say that at this point. He's been talking very openly about wanting to make DC-Brock, so why change that now? Why not just keep saying that DC is injured? It's not going to be a surprise now if they make DC-Brock. It's just going to be "But we thought you said Stipe."

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty certain it will be Miocic v DC next in August or September. I don't like how Miocic handled the situation and wish he had gone and fought another fight but good for him if his plan worked.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Pretty certain it will be Miocic v DC next in August or September. I don't like how Miocic handled the situation and wish he had gone and fought another fight but good for him if his plan worked.
I don't disagree, but I partly blame DC and the UFC for it, too. DC has repeatedly said that Stipe deserves a rematch and he would give it to him if he didn't get the Brock fight. Then he took the Lewis fight on short notice, got injured, and the Brock thing has dragged on forever.

But if you're Stipe and the champ says he'll give you a rematch, why would you go accept another fight? You fight to get a title shot. If he already has that, why risk losing it?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't disagree, but I partly blame DC and the UFC for it, too. DC has repeatedly said that Stipe deserves a rematch and he would give it to him if he didn't get the Brock fight. Then he took the Lewis fight on short notice, got injured, and the Brock thing has dragged on forever.

But if you're Stipe and the champ says he'll give you a rematch, why would you go accept another fight? You fight to get a title shot. If he already has that, why risk losing it?

DC has actually been pretty critical on numerous occasions about Miocic not taking another fight first. It's going to be over a year between fights.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
DC has actually been pretty critical on numerous occasions about Miocic not taking another fight first. It's going to be over a year between fights.
Then he's sending mixed signals because I have 100% seen him say directly that he'd give Stipe a rematch if he doesn't get the Brock fight on multiple occasions.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Miocic should have to win another fight. DC wants Lesnar, DC has been the ultimate company guy, he deserves it. If Ngannou or JDS wins that fight in devastating fashion they leapfrog Stipe IMO. We have enough immediate rematches as it is. I'd assume Brock will have to decide here in the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad