MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Listened to this on Luke Thomas earlier this week as well.

In terms of DAZN, we have no idea if their business model is sustainable. People used to freak out about how cheap the UFC was when Affliction started paying fighters a ton of money. Sure enough, they were soon out of the fight business. I have my doubts long-term. Guys like Canelo & Wilder are probably considered loss leaders for DAZN so that they can bring eyeballs onto their product and hopefully stick around. I really, really hope DAZN works as a platform but again, I have my doubts.

As for the ESPN/UFC thing - if the UFC is making more money, the fighters will make more money. While the majority of fans online who follow their bleeding heart SJW leader Ariel Helwani are idiots, the agents that represent these guys aren't. The pay keeps going up and will continue to go up. Obviously the owners of the company will make even more, but there's a reason why guys generally still want to go to the UFC. The money and stability is there. But yeah people will keep ripping on the UFC for fighter pay while not saying a thing when Bellator is paying 1500 bucks for guys to fight on their undercard every week.

Assuming the UFC keeps pencilling about 15% of their revenue (which is rumoured) towards fighter pay, then yes, fighter pay will rise with that. I'm just wondering if they're at a point to say f*** it, and slash it to 5-7%, simply because they could. As you said, the managers and agents are smart, but what's the alternative? All they have to do is stay a few car lengths ahead of Bellator and ONE, and fighters will still sign and re-sign with them. The argument used to be that you could at least go make sponsorship money with Bellator, but the UFC moving to Reebok as all put a lot of those sponsors we once knew out of business.

As for DAZN, I merely mentioned Wilder as an example of how much money boxing is throwing around. As for DAZN itself, there's no way their worldwide subscription base is paying for these contracts they're throwing around in boxing, not to mention the cost of rights to the NFL, Champions League, and Premier League, but then I keep hearing they have Russian oligarchs financing the whole thing .

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Assuming the UFC keeps pencilling about 15% of their revenue (which is rumoured) towards fighter pay, then yes, fighter pay will rise with that. I'm just wondering if they're at a point to say **** it, and slash it to 5-7%, simply because they could. As you said, the managers and agents are smart, but what's the alternative? All they have to do is stay a few car lengths ahead of Bellator and ONE, and fighters will still sign and re-sign with them. The argument used to be that you could at least go make sponsorship money with Bellator, but the UFC moving to Reebok as all put a lot of those sponsors we once knew out of business.

As for DAZN, I merely mentioned Wilder as an example of how much money boxing is throwing around. As for DAZN itself, there's no way their worldwide subscription base is paying for these contracts they're throwing around in boxing, not to mention the cost of rights to the NFL, Champions League, and Premier League, but then I keep hearing they have Russian oligarchs financing the whole thing .

Those are extreme outliers in boxing though. If you look at what 99% of the guys are making its comparable or even worse than the UFC.

I just don't see the motivation for the UFC to start being cheap and screwing over fighters. They are making major strides in every area of their business and the fighters are a big part of it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...e-claim-says-sex-was-consensual-37727340.html

"It's understood that during the interview the suspect admitted he had sex with the woman, claiming it was consensual."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...cused-raping-woman-Dublin-hotel-arrested.html

Gardaí took possession of some of the woman’s bloodstained clothing and made the decision to call an ambulance which took her to a sexual assault treatment unit at the Rotunda Hospital for an immediate assessment.

Gardaí travelled with her to the hospital for this process, which is protocol. The young woman was later released from hospital. Since then, gardaí have remained in contact with the woman.

It is understood investigating detectives were in contact with the woman a number of times following the attack, ‘encouraging’ her to make a full statement ‘but only when she feels able to do so’.

The accused has claimed this was all consensual. Oh my.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sick of this "Pettis gets the winner of Gaethje-Barboza" nonsense. If Gaethje wins, I want to see him in a contender fight, not some meaningless extra fight.

Gaethje is literally a human punching bag at this point. He's been KO'd by Eddie and Poirer. Who is he realistically going to be above him in the rankings? I'd take Pettis or Barboza to easily win against him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gaethje is literally a human punching bag at this point. He's been KO'd by Eddie and Poirer. Who is he realistically going to be above him in the rankings? I'd take Pettis or Barboza to easily win against him.

Why couldn't he beat Kevin Lee? Or Al Iaquinta? Or Cerrone?

Not saying he'd win all those fights, but he'd have a decent shot in each fight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why couldn't he beat Kevin Lee? Or Al Iaquinta? Or Cerrone?

Not saying he'd win all those fights, but he'd have a decent shot in each fight.

Gaethje is too dumb to protect himself. He stands and trades when he should be taking it to the ground and using his wrestling. Watching the guy kill his own brain cells and continue down the path of CTE is not something I care to watch. I'd take Cowboy, Al, and Lee in all of those fights vs him.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Gaethje is too dumb to protect himself. He stands and trades when he should be taking it to the ground and using his wrestling. Watching the guy kill his own brain cells and continue down the path of CTE is not something I care to watch. I'd take Cowboy, Al, and Lee is all of those vs him.
Ok, but you do realize in 4 fights in the UFC he has gotten fight of the night 3 times, performance of the night 2 times, he's gotten bonuses in every fight he has gotten in.

So just because you don't like something, doesn't mean others don't or shouldn't.

Also, in my initial statement I said something contingent on something else happening. You said the contingency was unlikely. That has nothing to do with the argument because the contingency is simply asserted in the hypothetical, its not posited as a prediction.

You never clarified your typo sentence so I don't know even whether I might agree with you or not, but my suspicion is that when you typed "be" you meant "beat", in which case back to the above paragraph.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ok, but you do realize in 4 fights in the UFC he has gotten fight of the night 3 times, performance of the night 2 times, he's gotten bonuses in every fight he has gotten in.

So just because you don't like something, doesn't mean others don't or shouldn't.

Also, in my initial statement I said something contingent on something else happening. You said the contingency was unlikely. That has nothing to do with the argument because the contingency is simply asserted in the hypothetical, its not posited as a prediction.

You never clarified your typo sentence so I don't know even whether I might agree with you or not, but my suspicion is that when you typed "be" you meant "beat", in which case back to the above paragraph.

And he got KO'd in two of them and was well on his way to getting KO'd in the Johnson fight before Johnson gassed himself out. You can say it's exciting and action packed, but it's literally a guy taking repeated head shots with no care for his future well being, all while ignoring his wrestling base. Seeing it time after time is beyond sickening to me at this point.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
And he got KO'd in two of them and was well on his way to getting KO'd in the Johnson fight before Johnson gassed himself out. You can say it's exciting and action packed, but it's literally a guy taking repeated head shots with no care for his future well being, all while ignoring his wrestling base. Seeing it time after time is beyond sickening to me at this point.
Again, you miss the point. What bothers you may not bother other people.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Ngannou v JDS
Masvidal v Askren

.. both added to UFC 239.

Along with Jones & Nunes title defenses, looking pretty stacked.

Reactions: td_ice and Avs_19

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Again, you miss the point. What bothers you may not bother other people.

Not missing the point at all. Don't think he's good enough to compete at the highest level against the best fighters. Midcard guys like Vick? Sure. Top 10 fighters? Nope. You like seeing him trade punches and get knocked out, go ahead and watch. I'd prefer not to, so I won't.

It's ironic that this organization blocked Mark Hunt from fighting for things he said in an article he wrote when he said he gets headaches and memory loss, but they sit by idly while Gaethje absorbs head shot after head shot and don't say a thing.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ngannou v JDS
Masvidal v Askren

.. both added to UFC 239.

Along with Jones & Nunes title defenses, looking pretty stacked.
Nice. It needed that. I mean, 2 title defenses is great and all, but Jones-Santos isn't the most compelling main event for International Fight Week, so they needed to stack it for it to live up to the usual hype around that card.

Blachowicz-Rockhold is on that card as well, right?

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
@LSCII @kabidjan18

Let's see how some stuff plays out first. Obviously we need to see how Gaethje does against Barboza which is no easy task, but then we have to see about Max-Poirier, Cowboy-Al, how does Lee look at 170, who does Conor fight next, who knows about Tony's situation. A lot of stuff needs to happen first before they start worrying about the next round of fights.

Reactions: LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nice. It needed that. I mean, 2 title defenses is great and all, but Jones-Santos isn't the most compelling main event for International Fight Week, so they needed to stack it for it to live up to the usual hype around that card.

Blachowicz-Rockhold is on that card as well, right?

I think so, yeah. Nice.

Curious what these fights mean for Miocic. Either DC v Lesnar & Miocic v Blaydes, or they couldn't get the Lesnar deal done and they're doing Miocic/DC 2.

I still think they might do a HW title fight at UFC 239.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is what I'm thinking as well.

This will be their first chance to have a massive ESPN affiliated card. I'll go a step further in that I bet JDS v Ngannou is the main event for the ESPN prelims and really load it up.

I think they are probably lining up Rockhold v Jones next too if both of them win.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think so, yeah. Nice.

Curious what these fights mean for Miocic. Either DC v Lesnar & Miocic v Blaydes, or they couldn't get the Lesnar deal done and they're doing Miocic/DC 2.

I still think they might do a HW title fight at UFC 239.
That would be insane....in the best way possible.

This will be their first chance to have a massive ESPN affiliated card. I'll go a step further in that I bet JDS v Ngannou is the main event for the ESPN prelims and really load it up.

I think they are probably lining up Rockhold v Jones next too if both of them win.
Yep. I think that is 100% what they are trying to do. Besides DC or going to HW, Rockhold would be the biggest name for Jones.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Eddie Alvarez lost his debut in OneFC. Big upset.

DJ won.

Eddie didn't look good even prior to the finishing sequence.

DJ took a shot or two and I was surprised he couldn't hold his opponent down earlier but then he made it look easy in the second round.

Reactions: tmurfin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

What can I say? He won. Good for him. Still standing and trading though, which will leave him with limited results overall, and has to this point. And I still don't get why he won't use his wrestling at all, especially against a guy like Barboza. But overall, he took less abuse than I expected.

Reactions: kabidjan18

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Gaethje can beat someone like Kevin Lee or Al Iaquinta the exact same way. They are all similar enough to me that I think any of them can beat each other. By no means are either an easy fight, but they can go either way.

Reactions: pistolpete11

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
What can I say? He won. Good for him. Still standing and trading though, which will leave him with limited results overall, and has to this point. And I still don't get why he won't use his wrestling at all, especially against a guy like Barboza. But overall, he took less abuse than I expected.
Maybe he doesn't use his wrestling because he likes winning bonuses. You could argue that losing fights due to being reckless has cost him money tho too. I think he's awesome tho and love that he fights the way he does. If he's not concerned about his health then I don't see why you should be concerned about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->