Other Sports: MMA/Boxing Thread

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Looking forward to Canelo vs Smith tomorrow...

Kovalev vs Canelo was interesting, it was veeeery even before Canelo dropped him.

Can Smith pull off a big upset? Going to take a special performance. But Canelo struggled at times with Kovalevs reach and only started to get into range later on to work him... annnnd Smith has a 6'6 span vs Kovalev's 6'1.

And Golovkin should be a nice aperitif tonight.
Didn't even realize GGG was fighting tonight. That's awesome.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not much of fight there. Dominance by GGG.

Some of his left hand only combos were beauties.

The hook to the body followed by an uppercut and cross all within a second at one point was awesome.

But yeh, not much of a challenge for him.

Why an 0 means nothing really (though does help you get a payday). I dont think Szerementa in his 21-0 record had ever fought a top ~50 fighter before and everyone knew he has no power, yet Ring magazine had him top 10 in the division...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Watching some Canelo sparring for this one...

interesting. The guys they have vs him are ~6'2 to 6'3 and standing up tall, boxing from range.

Which is what Smith did vs Ryder who managed to get in tight and work his body and make a fight of it even though Smith has way more class.

So I guess they expect him to do that again.

Which if he does? Canelo wins I think. Probably a TKO with a body shot or a combo that catches head after inside work.

BUT if I were Gallagher? I would probably be telling Smith to get low, down to Canelo's height or close, to keep body together, be compact and less exposed, and still use range and long legs to move in and out to change angles on him and not allow him to find his range and get inside. Like Kovalev did at the start of their fight. If Canelo gets inside anyone on earth is done... unless you have a Golovkin chin and power to scare him. Which Smith does not on the power side despite height.

If Smith does something like that then it could be interesting, especially if Canelo is not expecting him to do that.

But that might be where the 4 weeks notice comes in. Could be damn hard for Smith to adapt and not stand tall, which he has done for most of his career.

Tactically this one is soooo interesting. A weird, rare match-up style and size wise that really have not seen in years.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Smith is a f***ing sadist.

Laughing and joking with Canelo after Canelo bloodied him even more and then read Smiths counter.

Massively outclassed by maybe the best boxer on earth.

Canelo with 4 legit world champs now... wonder if he goes after Bivol or Berterbiev at 175lbs to be undisputed best at 4 weights?

Or is that a bridge too far given trouble at times with Kovalev.

Shows you just how good Golovkin is/was... and also how insane Mayweather was. Though everyone knows that.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lmao at Andrade...

Talking down Canelo's record. What? Has he looked at his own? Sulecki, Culcay, Nelson and Martirosyan are the best four on his resume...

and then saying Smith had no work-rate. Does he have eyes? Smith out-threw Canelo... just could not land.

Just embarrassing himself on TV is Demetrius.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Canelo made that look too easy last night. Not a big fan of him but I do respect his skill.

Still say GGG won their first fight. Fix was in with that one judge.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Garbage person taken out like garbage. Shame ref didn't let him get a few more punches in.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Didn't stream because of that thing in the last stimulus bill. Glad to hear that piece of shit got owned again.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
20210124_005439.jpg

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I enjoyed last night's card. Unfortunately Yan threw that dumbass knee, he was looking so dominant and would have a ton of buzz coming off that defense.

Was fun to watch Jan neutralize Izzy. I think Izzy may have taken the move up to LHW a bit lightly. Wonder what's next for him.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Really impressive 1st round for O'Malley but man missed an opportunity to win it by going for the walkoff KO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad