Other Sports: MMA/Boxing Thread

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I believe he was doing boxing for Showtime even before that though. That’s where I first ever heard him.
He was a wrestling commentator for an independent Canadian circuit before he got into MMA and boxing.

He had a bit of a crazy life story, battling bipolar disorder while trying to be a professional commentator. One of the Canadian networks did a documentary chronicling his story.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
It is embarrassing though for the sport of boxing that they’re grabbing amateur YouTuber’s to fight because not much else draws.
It’s sad what Boxing has become, that sport is probably one of the most corrupt sports in the world today.

When the NHL went through the lockouts, I watched boxing a lot but what turned me off more recently was the crap decisions from the piss poor judging in the sport.

A lot of the problems in Boxing come from the greedy sanctioning bodies their selves paying off judges letting certain fighters in the ring dirty then doing nothing but giving them a slap on the wrist and giving everyone a title of WBC diamond franchise champion this or WBA super duper regular interim champion that, it’s a ridiculous joke.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really see the point from Paul’s standpoint. Yeah you get a bigger payout but you’re risking bigger injury concerns as well.

Even McGregor makes no sense & falls into the biting off more than you can chew.

It makes sense for Paul to float these ideas out there & keep it in the news but actually going through with them doesn’t make sense. Mayweather is obviously likely retired from any serious fight at this point so I see why he’s trying to get in on it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I don’t really see the point from Paul’s standpoint. Yeah you get a bigger payout but you’re risking bigger injury concerns as well.

Even McGregor makes no sense & falls into the biting off more than you can chew.

It makes sense for Paul to float these ideas out there & keep it in the news but actually going through with them doesn’t make sense. Mayweather is obviously likely retired from any serious fight at this point so I see why he’s trying to get in on it.
This is a different Paul from the guy that fought Nate Rob and wants to fight Conor. That's his brother Jake.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Was a really fun fight.

Girlfriend was watching it with me and while she is not a big sport fan she got suuuuuuuuuper into it. Was kind of funny.

Joshua will and has got criticised whatever. Just comes with the territory.

But while a bit bizarre at times with rounds of tentativeness he was pretty much in control the whole fight bar maybe two exchanges.

Plus the ref was poor. I counted maybe 6 illegal shots from Pulev and he got one warning. The punch after the bell I was shocked was not at least spoken about. He did not have great control over the fight.

I guess the Ruiz fight is still in Joshua's mind. Which might not be a bad thing. People WANT him to be the entertainer. I think he WANTS to be the entertainer. But he dominated Ruiz in the first fight, looked like he was going to knock him out... and smelt blood, went for the kill, punched self out and then got caught.

It is one of only two ways I think he can lose really. That and being outboxed by a better boxer. Which is what makes him vs Fury so interesting.

Joshua does not quite have Wilder power ofc. But he hits hard, and has a far more myriad arsenal. Sheesh, those uppercuts... when was the last time you saw those in heavyweight boxing between 2x top 10 fighters? His jab is better than Wilders (though Wilders jab is underestimated. The guy does two things amazingly well, bang and jab.). He is more mobile than Wilder. He has a cross and a hook too.

Buuuuut while a "good" boxer Fury is an amazing boxer. And more mobile. And both can go down as we have seen.

When Joshua works behind his jab and snaps them hard... sheesh. Hard to beat unless you work and move to change the angle. Which Fury can do.

Cant wait for it tbh.

If I was a betting man I would bet on Fury. Even though I like Joshua more as a person (despite Fury being Irish and from the same part of the country as me.) But I think it is a 60:40 fight. Would be an amazing trilogy.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Looking forward to Canelo vs Smith tomorrow...

Kovalev vs Canelo was interesting, it was veeeery even before Canelo dropped him.

Can Smith pull off a big upset? Going to take a special performance. But Canelo struggled at times with Kovalevs reach and only started to get into range later on to work him... annnnd Smith has a 6'6 span vs Kovalev's 6'1.

And Golovkin should be a nice aperitif tonight.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->