OT: MLSE to Acquire the Argos

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I just assumed they were owned by the MLSE, how will this help the argos? is there a salary cap in the CFL? can they spend more on talent?. Anyway good for the argos and their fans I guess

yes. it's called the Salary Management System CFL SMS Provides Cost Certainty - CFL.ca

i don't know how accurate it is but the general scuttlebutt around fans of the cfl across canada is that toronto football fans are a bunch of american wannabes.

the impression is that they think they're to good for the cfl.

please don't kill the messenger, this is the prevailing thought process amongst fans across the nation.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
yes. it's called the Salary Management System CFL SMS Provides Cost Certainty - CFL.ca

i don't know how accurate it is but the general scuttlebutt around fans of the cfl across canada is that toronto football fans are a bunch of american wannabes.

the impression is that they think they're to good for the cfl.

please don't kill the messenger, this is the prevailing thought process amongst fans across the nation.

im not going to be upset man, i cant stand CFL OR NFL.

I was just curious if this seen as a good thing by argo fans

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess it's just going to be the Toronto Blue Jays left out in the cold...

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
im not going to be upset man, i cant stand CFL OR NFL.

I was just curious if this seen as a good thing by argo fans

it's cool. you might not get upset but there are some extremely fragile personalities around this place who will.

i suspect argo fans will be gleeful. the anti-cfl brigade will see it as an excuse to bash again.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well it benefits the argos tremendously. it ups their marketing, they're no longer a tenant at BMO, they are now legitimately part of the MLSE umbrella. and MLSE makes more money (I'm just surprised they just won't buy the Jays. throwing extra money towards them on Bell's side would only help. then you basically own every sports team)

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Apparently not.

Wonder if they’ll buy the Jays next. Then all that’s left is the Rock.

Wolfpack did well in their inaugural season. If MLSE really wanted to branch out into new markets they could be on the table as well.

Regardless, pretty sure that ownership of the media rights + the stadiums / land are worth just as much or more than the actual teams.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
well it benefits the argos tremendously. it ups their marketing, they're no longer a tenant at BMO, they are now legitimately part of the MLSE umbrella. and MLSE makes more money (I'm just surprised they just won't buy the Jays. throwing extra money towards them on Bell's side would only help. then you basically own every sports team)

As for the Jays, and any sale of the franchise — Rogers opened the door last week, talking about “surfacing value” — would be a much, much bigger thing, both strategically and financially. If you want to sell interest in a franchise valued at $1.3 billion (U.S.) by Forbes, that’s different than a little piece of a CFL team. It might make some sense for the Jays to be folded into MLSE, dispersing the future costs of renovating the Rogers Centre, estimated in the range of $200 million to $300 million, and creating a sports powerhouse unlike anything else in North America.

But you have to at least run the numbers, and it doesn’t sound like they have. Meanwhile, the Jays may seem crazy to be attempting to extend their competitive window in the face of a newly revitalized American League East. But if it came to that, would you rather try to sell a team with 40,000 people in the seats, or 20,000? Monster TV ratings, or merely decent ones? Team president Mark Shapiro told The Fan 590 on Wednesday, “If we were just running our teams without fans, and it was just an intellectual exercise, we probably would have hit a reset over a year ago.”

Which is another way of saying, it’s past logical to do what we figured we would do when we first got here, but someone figured out the money is great. This is probably not the ideal way to run a franchise, but here we are.

So while this might extinguish the final embers of Rogers’ dream of an NFL team in Toronto, it doesn’t necessarily pave the way for Bell to give Rogers a billion dollars to expand MLSE, and divide up the rest of the pie.

But here’s what it does do. It shows a little good faith. Maybe it’s the recent championships, the winning, new leadership at Rogers. But now Ambrosie is taking about his meetings with Sportsnet’s Scott Moore, and maybe more of a partnership there; you could even imagine a future CFL game on Sportsnet, especially if they expand to Halifax. You can see a more equitable approach to coverage from the two media superpowers. Where the Argos are concerned, you can see co-operation where there used to be a little war. As one MLSE source described it, if anything, this is like bringing flowers to a first date. It’s a nice, safe neighbourhood. And a little nicer today.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
They’ll tie in agros tickets with TFC somehow. Kind of like how Leaf season ticket holders have to buy raps season tickets too. Would not be surprised if they bought it to re-sell it in a few years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They’ll tie in agros tickets with TFC somehow. Kind of like how Leaf season ticket holders have to buy raps season tickets too. Would not be surprised if they bought it to re-sell it in a few years.
Fallacy.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

If you own the seat license you have to buy raptors and leafs season tickets. Some people buy just the leafs season tickets off the owner of the seat licenses, but to the true owners of the seat license you pay for both raps and leafs seasons tickets.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If you own the seat license you have to buy raptors and leafs season tickets. Some people buy just the leafs season tickets off the owner of the seat licenses, but to the true owners of the seat license you pay for both raps and leafs seasons tickets.
I'm a Subscriber. I don't own a Seat License nor do I buy Raptor tickets.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

They already do - as a TFC season ticket holder I'm offered free Argos tickets all the time.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I assume you own greens or purples? I think the seat licences only apply to platinum, gold and red seats.
Yes, Purples and I believe that is correct only the lower bowl was required to purchase the license and Raptor tickets.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
They already do - as a TFC season ticket holder I'm offered free Argos tickets all the time.

I think he means like the TFC-Marlies' packs of the early days.

I can't see them tying TFC and Argos tickets to season ticket holders... they would have a massive revolt on their hands.

I can however see "flex packs" getting tied in like they did with TFC-Marlies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
MLSE own the Leafs, Raptors and TFC as well as their baby teams. Now it looks like they will acquire the Argos as well, good for the Argos.
I remember hearing somewhere sometime that MLB rules don't allow for an entity to own an MLB team along with other teams. MLSE cannot own the Jays.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
MLSE own the Leafs, Raptors and TFC as well as their baby teams. Now it looks like they will acquire the Argos as well, good for the Argos.
I remember hearing somewhere sometime that MLB rules don't allow for an entity to own an MLB team along with other teams. MLSE cannot own the Jays.

Stupid question, could Rogers not sell 50% or so of Jays to Bell/Tanenbaum Not "MLSE". So the team would technically be separated from MLSE but Bell and Rogers could use their media power to market (and possible contracted marketing projects to MLSE so work close knit with MLSE but not owned by)

Sounds good in theory but I don't know, plus I have no idea on the MLBs rules on ownership.

Side note I'd like to see MLSE acquire the Wolfpack.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Why is this seen as a good thing?

To offer a counter point:

MLSE drives the highest ticket prices in hockey. They gouged TFC fans to the point of a massive revolt and had to reset prices to 2007 levels. They expanded BMO but went to the tax payer trough for a corporate welfare cheque to do so.

They do throw money at problems... Babcock, Defoe ... with varying degrees of success .... but it's mostly your money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad