The Star: MLSE head Tim Leiweke pitches culture change to season ticket holders

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs..._culture_change_to_season_ticket_holders.html

leiweke.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

He made it clear that accountability to Leafs Nation begins with honest, open communication, something he hopes to achieve through the annual fan night as well as a yearly report that will be produced for fans.

“We don’t spin here anymore, we don’t spin . . . we’re not going to knee-jerk with the media.â€

After Leiweke addressed fans about the new collective accountability and told them they will now be able to use or sell back their pre-season tickets, Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis took the stage to talk hockey.

“Between 2003 and 2007, our team traded away every first-round pick we had,†Nonis reminded them, setting out his vision for how the team will reach Leiweke’s stated goal of winning the “hardest trophy to win in sports.â€

“I’m not going to tell you we’re never going to trade away a first-round pick,†Nonis said, emphasizing his commitment to developing players. “But if we do, it’s not going to be for a 5-year-old man.â€

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
"culture change" sends shivers down my spine.

last time we heard about "culure change", we ended up spending huge money on Komisarek and Armstrong, and with a Sjostrom-Brent-Armstrong third line.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I have faith in Nonis, period. Tim Leiweke's bold proclomations since he arrived on the scene are strictly for public consumption.

Ace88*

Man shut up Tim. Just stop opening your big stupid mouth you attention *****.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I have faith in Nonis, period. Tim Leiweke's bold proclomations since he arrived on the scene are strictly for public consumption.
What about Carlyle? Who by all accounts makes our roster decisions.
You're obviously new to Tim Leiweke. The guy wins and his boastful personality is because he knows that his teams win. Get used to it.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

So, are you saying the president of MLSE should not address the season ticket holders -- something that is done by many presidents of major league sports teams? Or are you saying that the Leafs should ban the press from such events? And if they ban the press, should they also not broadcast the event on Leafs TV or their web site?

I guess you'd prefer articles that criticized the Leafs for closing the doors on the president's meeting with STHs, especially when the Blue Jays who are owned by one of the owners of MLSE freely broadcast Paul Beeston and company's comments to their STHs on their web site.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I like the attitude change, and how Leiweke isn't afraid to speak passionately about his clubs. That's the way a managing CEO should be. He is not only the guy who leads the ship, but he's also a spokesperson.

The days of the quiet, behind the scenes suit, are over.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It's amazing how some Leaf fans despise the guy, meanwhile everyone else, especially Raptors fans love the guy.

Some of you are just so insecure about some things.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't really know how liking or disliking Leiweke changes anything for the Leafs. He seems like a good passionate hockey fan that also happens to be the CEO of MLSE.

There is no reason to dislike someone who you have no idea about.

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
Leiweke being a blowhard is probably a good thing. You don't want MLSE to become a hat for rogers/bell. "If you can knock down the unit price on that bundle of fiber optic cable we can make your son a pro scout for the leafs"

As long as he's being a big impressive American careerist it probably means resources will funneled into the teams rather than out.

Ace88*

So, are you saying the president of MLSE should not address the season ticket holders -- something that is done by many presidents of major league sports teams? Or are you saying that the Leafs should ban the press from such events? And if they ban the press, should they also not broadcast the event on Leafs TV or their web site?

I guess you'd prefer articles that criticized the Leafs for closing the doors on the president's meeting with STHs, especially when the Blue Jays who are owned by one of the owners of MLSE freely broadcast Paul Beeston and company's comments to their STHs on their web site.

No im not saying either of those things. Those are obviously your own projections. Im saying he's annoying and is trying to beat the idea of culture change into everyone's heads when in reality the culture has changed simply by making the playoffs.

mikebel111*

IDK why people are hard on him. he is a proven winner. Full trust in him

mikebel111*

No im not saying either of those things. Those are obviously your own projections. Im saying he's annoying and is trying to beat the idea of culture change into everyone's heads when in reality the culture has changed simply by making the playoffs.

If he is annoying and has proven to be a winner. I take annoying and winning every time.

Ace88*

Hes a proven winner huh. when was he a coach or gm again?being the ceo doesnt make you a winner. he was in charge of aeg for 13 years before the kings won anything.

BayStreetBullies*

I like the attitude change, and how Leiweke isn't afraid to speak passionately about his clubs. That's the way a managing CEO should be. He is not only the guy who leads the ship, but he's also a spokesperson.

The days of the quiet, behind the scenes suit, are over.

They were over when Burke was hired as GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad