MLSE board has weighed asking outgoing CEO Leiweke to stay

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
When he leaves, not if, I am very worried for the fallout that stems from this concerning the Raptors.

Tyler Biggs*

Leafs need to get rid of Tanenbaum... The best CEO in sports can't even work with him... All about $$ not winning.

You have to wonder about Larry Tanenbaum and his role in the general failure of MLSE's sports properties. He appears to be behind the scenes, but he is the only constant in the last 20 years, a stretch that has seen the Leafs become door mats, TFC fail miserably and the Raptors be irrelevant until Tim hired Ujiri. Larry appears not to like big, bold in your face execs ( Burke and Leiweke) and most certainly has had a hand in their premature departures (assuming Tim leaves). I think its time Larry moved on, he has brought nothing to MLSE in terms of winning, while his personal fortune has grown considerably. IMO

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm surprised they allowed him to stay on as long as he has. If it were up to me, I'd have told him to pack up his personal stuff and get out his office the very day he said he wanted out.

You can't tell me that there weren't other candidates on the list from which they hired Lieweke in the first place!

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I'm surprised they allowed him to stay on as long as he has. If it were up to me, I'd have told him to pack up his personal stuff and get out his office the very day he said he wanted out.

You can't tell me that there weren't other candidates on the list from which they hired Lieweke in the first place!

There are thousands of candidates for the MLSE ceo position. There are few better jobs to look forward to in all of business.

Basically the worst you can do, as the CEO of MLSE, is not make as much profit as you would have liked. There is an absolute guarantee that you'll make an incredible profit every year, and the board has enough in-fighting to make it very easy to skirt away from any direct blame for anything.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a problem. There has to be clear direction from the top for any successful sports team. The sooner this happens the quicker The Leafs can rebuild.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I honestly do not see any major accomplishments Leiweke has made to justify keeping him as CEO. The jewel in the crown of MLSE are the Leafs. He has basically done zilch there, unless you count hiring an inexperienced President in Shanny. The Raptors are doing better thanks to a hard working group of players and coach. I give credit to their GM for being able to dump Barniani and Gay, and Leiweke did hire him but that was rumored for a year before he even got here. Toronto FC is a disaster, despite Leiweke proclaiming he has fixed them. He is ready to leave after a year on the job to supposedly start his own ticket business, but the truth is his family were freaked out after last years ice storm and would rather be back in California. I am sure there are a number of qualified people ready to step in and probably do a better job, however Rogers and Bell have to agree on the person, and that is the real problem.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There are thousands of candidates for the MLSE ceo position. There are few better jobs to look forward to in all of business.

Basically the worst you can do, as the CEO of MLSE, is not make as much profit as you would have liked. There is an absolute guarantee that you'll make an incredible profit every year, and the board has enough in-fighting to make it very easy to skirt away from any direct blame for anything.

I think some of the problem is that the organization has to make profit in other ways that a lot of other franchises don't.

Someone stated on the radio (ages ago when Lieweke first announced he was leaving) that part of being the CEO is basically "all the money making". other franchises do this buy negotiating television deals every x amount of years. when the contract expires, you can continue to shop your services, and pit teevee stations against each other.

MLSE is OWNED by the only two cable providers (basically) in Canada. so automatically there's nothing to really 'sell' there.

they could be marketed better -but the Leafs and Raptors basically sell themselves, so it would really just be the soccer product (and despite the Defoe issues, I think they can turn the corner). so its the other 'aspects' of the job that makes it difficult.

(which is what you said, but i wanted to break it down for other people :) )

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Elliott Friedman mentioned yesterday between the period intermission that despite there being some interest by MLSE to want Lieweke to stay it was confirmed that he has no interest to remain on beyond June of this year.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Now all this Lupedickhead stuff. Since he has gotten to Leaf land, we got worse. Tannenbaum is no damn angel and has rumours of him meddling. Lewiecke's wife, met with Burke, told Tim she didn't like him, (well thats what I heard, so not sure if true or not) then inexpectedly, Burke is canned.

Burke was fired 6 months before Leiweke was hired.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think some of the problem is that the organization has to make profit in other ways that a lot of other franchises don't.

Someone stated on the radio (ages ago when Lieweke first announced he was leaving) that part of being the CEO is basically "all the money making". other franchises do this buy negotiating television deals every x amount of years. when the contract expires, you can continue to shop your services, and pit teevee stations against each other.

MLSE is OWNED by the only two cable providers (basically) in Canada. so automatically there's nothing to really 'sell' there.

they could be marketed better -but the Leafs and Raptors basically sell themselves, so it would really just be the soccer product (and despite the Defoe issues, I think they can turn the corner). so its the other 'aspects' of the job that makes it difficult.

(which is what you said, but i wanted to break it down for other people :) )

I think the Leafs could make a profit, with a 16 year old CEO running the team Daisy. Really the Leafs are a well of infinite money for MSLE.

What this entity needs is a strong leader at the top. Leiweke is leaving, and right now that means no one is running this ship. I never was crazy about Leiweke coming in, it just seemed strange why MSLE would choose an American that has shown in very quick time that his heart is not in Toronto but in the USA. This was always a peculiar move I thought.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think the Leafs could make a profit, with a 16 year old CEO running the team Daisy. Really the Leafs are a well of infinite money for MSLE.

What this entity needs is a strong leader at the top. Leiweke is leaving, and right now that means no one is running this ship. I never was crazy about Leiweke coming in, it just seemed strange why MSLE would choose an American that has shown in very quick time that his heart is not in Toronto but in the USA. This was always a peculiar move I thought.

i mean outside the 'sports' venture (sort of like what AEG does for LA), i was just reporting what i heard :)

i do agree with the american angle though which is why i thought the former ceo of the canadian olympic committee was an option, or the former cfl guy who just left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad