MLS will announce Charlotte as the 30th team on December 17 in CLT

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Meanwhile, the Tulsa Roughnecks decided they are just going to be "FC Tulsa" while Swope Park Rangers, thinking their brand was the reason why people don't go to their games and not because people in general do not care for reserve teams, let alone bad reserve teams, is now Sporting Kansas City II.

As much as that one user griped about my team having a goofy name, at least I'll take "Indy Eleven" over the (Insert Place) FC or (Region) United stagnation that has taken grasp over the sport in North America. I know there is a blowback against minor league baseball adopting ridiculous names like Sea Unicorns and PaddleHeads for the sake of ridiculousness but what is there to just have normal, conventional team names that we've had for much of the 20th century? Early MLS had that philosophy.

A minor league baseball team here in Charlotte just renamed itself from the Kannapolis Intimidators to the Kannapolis Cannon Ballers.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Meanwhile, the Tulsa Roughnecks decided they are just going to be "FC Tulsa" while Swope Park Rangers, thinking their brand was the reason why people don't go to their games and not because people in general do not care for reserve teams, let alone bad reserve teams, is now Sporting Kansas City II.

As much as that one user griped about my team having a goofy name, at least I'll take "Indy Eleven" over the (Insert Place) FC or (Region) United stagnation that has taken grasp over the sport in North America. I know there is a blowback against minor league baseball adopting ridiculous names like Sea Unicorns and PaddleHeads for the sake of ridiculousness but what is there to just have normal, conventional team names that we've had for much of the 20th century? Early MLS had that philosophy.

Concerning names....I happen to like what happened in St Paul.

It's Minnesota United FC, but commonly referred to as the "Loons", which is very fitting. Team logo pictures a loon, done very nicely. I would encourage all the teams to do something similar.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

You know, as the Flint Firebirds basically help shoot down the AHL proposal for Palm Springs Firebirds (if the first part of the denial holds weight; it might well be the marks instead), it just needs to be known that the good names are taken and a lot of teams- and even owners of intellectual property of old dead teams- won't share them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You know, as the Flint Firebirds basically help shoot down the AHL proposal for Palm Springs Firebirds (if the first part of the denial holds weight; it might well be the marks instead), it just needs to be known that the good names are taken and a lot of teams- and even owners of intellectual property of old dead teams- won't share them.

Has there ever been a court case to determine if a team in a wholly different league or on the other side of the country even needs permission? Because to me, if the standard is likelihood of confusing the two, there's no reasonable chance of that in many of these cases

Reactions: DaveG

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Has there ever been a court case to determine if a team in a wholly different league or on the other side of the country even needs permission? Because to me, if the standard is likelihood of confusing the two, there's no reasonable chance of that in many of these cases

Considering how much I've read about IP kind of becoming a point of strangulation in many ways, that rulings are getting a lot tighter around IP, it appears the Trademark and Patent Office doesn't care about your "only mild confusion" arguments. It has become, in many ways, an act of defense as much as offense to take hold of IP.

I would bet that this is a hallmark of the current administration, as opposed to when the Golden Knights issue unfolded.

Reactions: Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
325m and a stadium that is well suited to hosting high level soccer will get a team to the front of the queue fast

I was there for the Aresenal game in July. It's a little rough at that time of year, in terms of heat... but I agree the stadium is suited to it. Maybe not as well as the dedicated stadiums, but definitely well enough.

Reactions: NCRanger and DaveG

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I was there for the Aresenal game in July. It's a little rough at that time of year, in terms of heat... but I agree the stadium is suited to it. Maybe not as well as the dedicated stadiums, but definitely well enough.

I said it earlier in the thread. It will be really interesting to see how a usually fickle Charlotte fanbase handles the June, July, and August heat for those 4 PM Sunday games...and with the inevitable weather delays for the summer thunderstorms.

As it is, Panther games tend to be relatively empty those first few weeks of the season for 1 PM starts.

Really have to hope for a lot of Saturday night home games during the summer.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I said it earlier in the thread. It will be really interesting to see how a usually fickle Charlotte fanbase handles the June, July, and August heat for those 4 PM Sunday games...and with the inevitable weather delays for the summer thunderstorms.

As it is, Panther games tend to be relatively empty those first few weeks of the season for 1 PM starts.

Really have to home for a lot of Saturday night home games during the summer.

If those night games are an 8PM start... sure. In the summer, 2 sides of the stadium have the sun right in your face until around 7pm and the upper deck for much longer.

I hope a dedicated stadium is in Tepper's long-term plans. Maybe this is finally the solution to Eastland Mall? The 2030 transportation plan does have the Goldline streetcar extending that far down Central.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean good for Charlotte, but it does bother me that they used the soccer culture that has organically developed in the NC Triangle, a good 3 hours away from Charlotte, as justification on why the Charlotte bid was strong. Which, in and of itself, is completely meaningless, Raleigh and Charlotte really just don't care very much about each others' sports teams (Raleigh could not care less about the Hornets, Charlotte the same about the Hurricanes, and there isn't really strong support for the Panthers in Raleigh), but given that they are using this as justification when Raleigh has its own MLS bid out there is a huge slap in the face to all the supporters in the Triangle who want a team here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean good for Charlotte, but it does bother me that they used the soccer culture that has organically developed in the NC Triangle, a good 3 hours away from Charlotte, as justification on why the Charlotte bid was strong. Which, in and of itself, is completely meaningless, Raleigh and Charlotte really just don't care very much about each others' sports teams (Raleigh could not care less about the Hornets, Charlotte the same about the Hurricanes, and there isn't really strong support for the Panthers in Raleigh), but given that they are using this as justification when Raleigh has its own MLS bid out there is a huge slap in the face to all the supporters in the Triangle who want a team here.

I see Hurricanes stickers all the time driving around Charlotte.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If those night games are an 8PM start... sure. In the summer, 2 sides of the stadium have the sun right in your face until around 7pm and the upper deck for much longer.

I hope a dedicated stadium is in Tepper's long-term plans. Maybe this is finally the solution to Eastland Mall? The 2030 transportation plan does have the Goldline streetcar extending that far down Central.

I actually have "championed" an idea for a stadium at Eastland. One of my friends used to be a County Commissioner (he's probably running again in D5), and I had sent him the idea.

That said, the streetcar, even if it did get extended that far out, is not a viable transportation option for a stadium, even one at 25, 30k. A few years ago, we went to the Liverpool - AC Milan game at B of A. Game was later in the day, and my daughter was 6 at the time. Took the light rail. Took over an hour and a half to take the light rail to Scaleybark, just then to drive back to the SE. Wasn't really viable, and really a giant pain in the ***.

Now, the last time LFC was here, the game was a bit earlier, and my daughter, older. We went to dinner at RiRa after the game and took the light rail. That worked only because we stayed uptown after the game.

Reactions: DaveG and Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I actually have "championed" an idea for a stadium at Eastland. One of my friends used to be a County Commissioner (he's probably running again in D5), and I had sent him the idea.

That said, the streetcar, even if it did get extended that far out, is not a viable transportation option for a stadium, even one at 25, 30k. A few years ago, we went to the Liverpool - AC Milan game at B of A. Game was later in the day, and my daughter was 6 at the time. Took the light rail. Took over an hour and a half to take the light rail to Scaleybark, just then to drive back to the SE. Wasn't really viable, and really a giant pain in the ***.

Now, the last time LFC was here, the game was a bit earlier, and my daughter, older. We went to dinner at RiRa after the game and took the light rail. That worked only because we stayed uptown after the game.

Well, I was more thinking about streetcar for younger people living in Elizabeth, NoDa and Plaza... age groups who seem to make up a big chunk of fans in successful MLS cities. Granted, that would obviously link in for South End people who can take the Blueline and transfer. Funnily enough, where I'm living right now is supposed to have both a Goldline AND a Silverline stop within walking distance. But there's no way I'll still be living there by the time that actually happens (if it ever does).

I do worry about traffic on Albemarle if they were to put a stadium over there. Perhaps an expressway extension coming off Independence would be best... but that's a whole other can of worms.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I see Hurricanes stickers all the time driving around Charlotte.

I actually have a Hurricanes license plate.

While I've seen more and more Hurricanes support around town, I get what @Svechhammer is saying. I'm a Canes fan first and Panthers/Hornets/ Everything else second (Checkers have become my favorite Charlotte team), or third depending on the day and I still have some snarky comments thrown in my direction when I even mention Hockey, not just Hurricanes/Checkers. It's not like it was in 2006 and 2009 but this last playoff run I did notice some of that old "Thats Raleighs team!" "NFL and NBA are the best NHL sucks and no one watches lol" and "Hockey is a Yankee sport!" sentiment that caused friction between the Charlotte and Raleigh sports media/fans in the 2000s.

As for the support for the team. I've stated that it will do fine in the beginning but after the novelty wears off it will be interesting to see if it's still there. As said above this city is pretty fickle when it comes to sports, even the Panthers don't always sell out when they're doing well and thats just 8 home games.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
While I've seen more and more Hurricanes support around town, I get what @Svechhammer is saying. I'm a Canes fan first and Panthers/Hornets/ Everything else second (Checkers have become my favorite Charlotte team), or third depending on the day and I still have some snarky comments thrown in my direction when I even mention Hockey, not just Hurricanes/Checkers. It's not like it was in 2006 and 2009 but this last playoff run I did notice some of that old "Thats Raleighs team!" "NFL and NBA are the best NHL sucks and no one watches lol" and "Hockey is a Yankee sport!" sentiment that caused friction between the Charlotte and Raleigh sports media/fans in the 2000s.

As for the support for the team. I've stated that it will do fine in the beginning but after the novelty wears off it will be interesting to see if it's still there. As said above this city is pretty fickle when it comes to sports, even the Panthers don't always sell out when they're doing well and thats just 8 home games.
When we moved here from the Triangle in 2006, there was almost no Hurricanes representation.

I’ve been seeing a lot more since the Checkers affiliation.

I’ll always be a Ranger fan first, but I do want the Hurricanes to do well. As for Charlotte sports, we don’t support any of the major league teams. My daughter somewhat cares about the Hornets, but that’s it. We’ll probably follow the MLS team as we have no team we currently care about.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. Athletic looks at new franchise.

On another note, this will mean that Raleigh is the lone NHL-only market in the US. Columbus and San Jose both have MLS franchises and Las Vegas is a year away from the NFL coming.

Less than that. Stadium completion 7/31. Guessing team will move operations in 2020 Q1.

I know you're focused on male major league teams, but you forgot WNBA in Vegas. City also has entire NBA summer league, MiLB, USL, NASCAR events and other motorsports at LVMS, off road racing, NBR finals, National Rodeo (& junior rodeo) finals, numerous horse shows. And college sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->