MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have no clue how we escaped with 3 points. That first half was one of the worst halves I've ever seen from either side. Ibra getting a red card was obvious, but that dude very subtly stamped Ibra.

I think that match was an indictment of how bad Montreal is.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Rumor round up

-Tyler Adams to Leipzig looking like its complete

-Lynden Gooch to the Quakes looks possible

-Geoff Cameron to MLS could happen

-Sparta Prague have offered $2M for Rusnak, could happen

-Fernando Torres is in contract talks with Fire, wouldn’t be able to join until July 10 though

-Tigres and TFC are talking a swap, Giovinco for Enner Valencia

-The big one (and my favorite) is that Leighton Baines is headed to LA to talk to LAFC

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Pro tip: when clearing a cross into your box make sure to head it right to an area with 3 opposing players, particularly if one happens to be David Villa.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Good. Rusnak should stay in the MLS for a few more years and then move to a bigger European league
Which brings up interesting question, how many leagues in Europe are bigger than MLS? Or worth leaving MLS for? Aside from the obvious 5.

I got English Championship, Eredivisie, Turkish Superliga, Belgian First Division, La Liga Segunda Division, and SPFL (but only top 5 clubs).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Russian should definitely be on that list. The Swiss is not bad. Better than the Scottish.

If I were a professional I wouldn’t necessarily move from the MLS to a club in Scotland outside of Celtic these days. Depends a bit on at what age of course. Young players are probably better off playing in Europe if they want to take that next step - just more visible - especially if the team plays in the CL or EL (a team like Copenhagen would have been better than the MLS over the last five-ten years - even if they are in a bit of a slump now - because so many players have moved on).

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I’d say Portugal and Russia you could include in there
I exclude Russia purely out of political reason. I don't think any Americans or Canadian players are going there. Maybe Latin America players though.

Portugal is a big one I missed.

I suppose any team that regularly qualifies for Europe and plays in a country and can pay similar wage or more would qualify.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As totally crappy as tonight's scoreless draw was it was almost worth the price of admission to see Sapong miss a penalty as bad as he did. It was hilarious.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Orlando is garbage. Another game where they get lots of pressure in the final third only to not be able to finish while they give up one or two chances and the other team finishes. They need to be at least drawing these kind of games at home not lose. They're going to miss the playoffs again I can just feel.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Orlando is garbage. Another game where they get lots of pressure in the final third only to not be able to finish while they give up one or two chances and the other team finishes. They need to be at least drawing these kind of games at home not lose. They're going to miss the playoffs again I can just feel.
They need to fire Kreis. Caleb Porter might do a decent job.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I exclude Russia purely out of political reason. I don't think any Americans or Canadian players are going there. Maybe Latin America players though.

Portugal is a big one I missed.

I suppose any team that regularly qualifies for Europe and plays in a country and can pay similar wage or more would qualify.
That’s pure nonsense. Americans and Canadians sign in the KHL no problem.

PS: FC Cincinnati baby!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That’s pure nonsense. Americans and Canadians sign in the KHL no problem.
Don't be absurd. The KHL has a much higher profile in hockey than the Russian Premier League has in soccer.

EDIT: Quick skim of the rosters of every Russian Premier League club for 18-19 shows nobody from CONCACAF countries. A handful of Venezuelans, Brazillians, and Argentinians, and that's it for representation from across the Atlantic.

EDIT 2: Whoops, overlooked three guys. One from Uruguay, one from Paraguay, and one from Ecuador. Still nobody from CONCACAF, let alone the US or Canada.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I can't say I'm not disappointed that Cincinnati is getting a team for a few reasons, but them as an inevitable Columbus-replacement is the only one that won't get bricks thrown at me here, so that's the one I'll harp on.

Should be Austin getting an expansion team, with Precourt being pilloried for his efforts.

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->