MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The exodus continues for the Galaxy. De La Garza traded to Houston for Allocation money. Out of all the departures, this one really hurts.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Good on Atlanta United today with their picks, even though the Superdraft not what it used to be (good thing with the academy's being a bigger building point).

Robinson looks to be a smart, steady CB. Lots of upside. No disappointed that they passed on Ebobisse. Atlanta needed talent/depth on defense, and Robinson is a GA player so that's always a bonus. Gressel looks to be a Martino type of mid; attacking and/or creative.

Chances are AUFC have some issues scoring from the start. Completely new team, built with more creative midfielders and not many pure goal scorers. But if Tata is true to himself, they will be attacking and entertaining.

Last edited:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
In other news, about time MLS decided to make the amounts of TAM/GAM involved in trades public. It makes trades so much easier to decipher.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The exodus continues for the Galaxy. De La Garza traded to Houston for Allocation money. Out of all the departures, this one really hurts.

Definitely.

For better or worse the Galaxy seem intent on pissing off all of their fans this off-season (an odd strategy given that LAFC looms large). The pay-off better be worth it...and 10 games of Jermaine Jones is not going to be worth it.

Hopefully Houston will properly utilize De La Garza, I'm still not sure how or why Steres jumped him on the depth chart. Steres is fine but he's just...well, he's just that - fine.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

Gotcha, thanks. So it's basically because the Chargers' owner didn't want to pay for a stadium in San Diego.

But why is Kroenke only charging him 1 dollar a year in rent? I hope at least Anschutz gouges him for the next two years.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Gotcha, thanks. So it's basically because the Chargers' owner didn't want to pay for a stadium in San Diego.

But why is Kroenke only charging him 1 dollar a year in rent? I hope at least Anschutz gouges him for the next two years.

Because Kroenke is going the "La Live" model with his development. And is developing a whole office/entertainment park around the stadium. And just getting 10 more dates a year will add massive value to him. Even if its is just 50k or whatever the Chargers pull.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Because Kroenke is going the "La Live" model with his development. And is developing a whole office/entertainment park around the stadium. And just getting 10 more dates a year will add massive value to him. Even if its is just 50k or whatever the Chargers pull.

Ah... kind of like how a new Revs stadium isn't all that urgent to Kraft because at least he brings Revs fans to Patriot Place by making them play in his oversized NFL stadium.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Kevin Molino traded to Minnesota for $650k in TAM/GAM. That ties the highest amount of allocation traded in a deal (EJ deal in 2014).

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Definitely.

For better or worse the Galaxy seem intent on pissing off all of their fans this off-season (an odd strategy given that LAFC looms large). The pay-off better be worth it...and 10 games of Jermaine Jones is not going to be worth it.

Hopefully Houston will properly utilize De La Garza, I'm still not sure how or why Steres jumped him on the depth chart. Steres is fine but he's just...well, he's just that - fine.

The LAFC fan base will consist of ex-Chivas USA fan base. But the Galaxy will be in some danger because LAFC will be based in the city while the Galaxy are stuck in Cal State Dominguez Hills...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The LAFC fan base will consist of ex-Chivas USA fan base. But the Galaxy will be in some danger because LAFC will be based in the city while the Galaxy are stuck in Cal State Dominguez Hills...

LAFC already has a significantly larger fan base than Chivas could ever dream of having...which was inevitable because it isn't a xenophobic farm team playing in the Galaxy's stadium.

The location thing will be huge. Carson is a sick joke and LAFC is going to be playing a hell of a lot closer to the majority of the Galaxy's fan base than the Galaxy themselves are. I'd like to think that few, if any fans would be flipped ...but this is LA. If the Galaxy languish for a couple years and LAFC comes out punching then...well...if the Clippers can gain ground on the ****ing Lakers (while sharing an arena, no less), this is most definitely a possibility. The Galaxy are still only now old enough to drink as a franchise, so while they have a huge leg up on history...they still didn't exist for the majority of my childhood. Maybe I'm just paranoid about empty threats from overly-emotional fans who grew a little too attached to certain players that were pushed out...but I just worry that the Galaxy may be a little too confident in them owning this city.

Anyway...I don't know much of anything about Alessandrini, but it seems like a shrewd move given Olympique's signing of Payet. I'm just happy we'll be heading into the season with multiple actual DPs...Van Damme hardly counts (and will be bought down for the summer window).

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
LAFC already has a significantly larger fan base than Chivas could ever dream of having...which was inevitable because it isn't a xenophobic farm team playing in the Galaxy's stadium.

The location thing will be huge. Carson is a sick joke and LAFC is going to be playing a hell of a lot closer to the majority of the Galaxy's fan base than the Galaxy themselves are. I'd like to think that few, if any fans would be flipped ...but this is LA. If the Galaxy languish for a couple years and LAFC comes out punching then...well...if the Clippers can gain ground on the ****ing Lakers (while sharing an arena, no less), this is most definitely a possibility. The Galaxy are still only now old enough to drink as a franchise, so while they have a huge leg up on history...they still didn't exist for the majority of my childhood. Maybe I'm just paranoid about empty threats from overly-emotional fans who grew a little too attached to certain players that were pushed out...but I just worry that the Galaxy may be a little too confident in them owning this city.

Anyway...I don't know much of anything about Alessandrini, but it seems like a shrewd move given Olympique's signing of Payet. I'm just happy we'll be heading into the season with multiple actual DPs...Van Damme hardly counts (and will be bought down for the summer window).

I share the worry about front office being over confident when it comes to LAFC. Hard to get excited about a team when the whole coaching staff is gutted and not a whole lot of exciting offseason additions. I know next to nothing about Alessandrini other than he's pretty fast and skilled winger. And my guess is that Jonathan Dos Santos will be that mid season signing.

In other MLS news Oguchi Onyewu returns to MLS and joins the Union. I honestly didn't even know he was still playing.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
http://deadspin.com/sacramentos-mls...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

When Sacramento handed in their bid to MLS brass this morning, it wasn’t club founder/president Warren Smith or VP Joe Wagoner who handed in the bid. It was Kunal Merchant—the former PR flack of Kevin Johnson, Sacramento’s disgraced former mayor who declined to seek re-election and got pied in the face on his way out the door. The bid Merchant handed to MLS was suspiciously absent of any SRFC iconography, and as SI’s Brian Straus notes, SRFC never sent any sort of press release on the matter. For what it’s worth, Merchant also changed his Twitter bio affiliation with the team from “Sacramento Republic FC†to simply “Sacramento MLS.â€

It appears that Nagle has led a coup of sorts, taking advantage of SRFC’s buildup of fans and goodwill to push a stadium deal through, only to dump the team and its other owners—including the founders, who would have stood to profit off the deal. He’s bringing in new partners, like dumbass 49ers owner Jed York, and, as of this morning, eBay billionaire and failed gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman. What Sacramento’s apparent new team lacks in connection to the city’s beloved existing team it makes up for in soulless financial heft. Local reporter Evan Ream is reporting that Nagle and the rest of the team’s owners had been drifting apart for some time, and that Sacramento Republic was not part of the bid this morning.

Sacramento bid appears to be in trouble. Seems like the owner is trying to snake the original founders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad