MLS Thread: 2020 Edition

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
holy hell, have these NYCFC announcers ever watched a soccer match?
Some of the things they claim they see make me wonder

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Question for yall. Does anyone else think MLS has completely bungled NY market?

I think they're doing fine from an outside perspective. I know New York is tough in terms of land for stadiums and trying to fit soccer in a baseball/football/basketball market is extremely difficult, but for the most part I think its good. The rivalry between the 2 clubs is real so I think MLS will see it as a win. But with NYRB not being able to sell out and NYCFC in a baseball stadium doesn't look good.

Reactions: Fro

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think they're doing fine from an outside perspective. I know New York is tough in terms of land for stadiums and trying to fit soccer in a baseball/football/basketball market is extremely difficult, but for the most part I think its good. The rivalry between the 2 clubs is real so I think MLS will see it as a win. But with NYRB not being able to sell out and NYCFC in a baseball stadium doesn't look good.
I think MLS has to at least get Red Bulls outta here and rebrand NYRB. Probably impossible unless Red Bulls themselves want out.

Who wants to rock energy drink brand, for real, in a country that never really had at the very least, team identity sullied by corporations?

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Question for yall. Does anyone else think MLS has completely bungled NY market?

I really do. The NYCFC stadium situation and losing Villa without a high profile replacement has really killed the buzz. RBNY is in the worst position it's been since I became a fan (2010). Not much quality on the side, zero excitement in the market, and they got lucky with the pandemic because the stadium would be EMPTY this season. They need an SKC style rebrand.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I really do. The NYCFC stadium situation and losing Villa without a high profile replacement has really killed the buzz. RBNY is in the worst position it's been since I became a fan (2010). Not much quality on the side, zero excitement in the market, and they got lucky with the pandemic because the stadium would be EMPTY this season. They need an SKC style rebrand.
We need a new owner. Simple as that.

Reactions: Basement Cat

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
MLS only markets the California teams.
MLS markets? In reality, when actual high-caliber professional soccer is available to the US market, there isn't going to be that much demand for the league except for the very local markets.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Looks like all the games will continue. Amazing that MLS showed massive support during the tournament, but not showing the same enthusiasm during the Regular season

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Somehow the Galaxy have won 3 in a row. Nick Depuy is an absolute beast at centerback over Gonzalez. Back line actually resembles a quality defense now.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Red Bulls fire Chris Armas, the squad isn’t any good but the decision had to be made, he is not a good coach

Yup, the writing has been on the wall for this one. Don't get me wrong, the talent on the roster is middle of the road at best, but they've been playing below that level for too long.

I expect Tetteh and Yearwood, along with the new manager bump, to energize this squad a bit. Regardless, if they want to do any damage this season and beyond, RB needs to bring in a bonafide #9. You need a guy up top who can pot 15+ in this league. Sign a striker and roll with this front 4:

-------Striker
Tetteh-Kaku-X

X being Royer, Valot, or Omir

Even if the striker is, let's say, Kacper Przybylko-level that would be huge. The days of RBNY bringing in a guy like Higuain are seemingly over.

Now that's a front four that can finally inject some life back into RBA (whenever we're allowed back in).

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad