MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
uhhhh because lafc fans love giving galaxy fans endless shit about how their team "isn't a real LA team because they play in carson."

so it's gonna be hilarious when not one, but two LA teams are playing in inglewood soon
I don’t think there’s a single LAFC fan here.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
gonna be hilarious to see how the lafc fans who are also clippers fans react to them playing in inglewood

since their club's foundation is built on giving the galaxy shit for playing in carson. i guess they'll have to refer to them as the inglewood clippers?

How many LAFC fans, that are also Clippers fans, that post in the MLS thread, of the soccer section, of a hockey board, are you targeting?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This whole coronavirus pandemic and its impact on pro rel everywhere is a reminder on why MLS will probably never adopt it.

Don't think a pandemic was ever a reason to not do pro/rel, but its probably added to the long list of reasons now. There's really no good solution to this pro/rel problem all the leagues are facing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Don't think a pandemic was ever a reason to not do pro/rel, but its probably added to the long list of reasons now. There's really no good solution to this pro/rel problem all the leagues are facing.
Mine would be to not have pro/rel but that the teams that would've been relegated have to give a portion of their share of league revenue to the teams that would've been promoted.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Will the pandemic force MLS to use the FIFA schedule from now on?
Do you mean the start in August schedule or the break schedule? They won’t start in August. That would be dumb. Imagine playing in Colorado or Minnesota in the middle of winter.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Will the pandemic force MLS to use the FIFA schedule from now on?

From now on? Doubt it. But it could get a trial run. MLS will try and squeeze this season in before the end of the year, but I think its asking a lot to force teams to play as many games that will require to finish the season before the end of this year.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
They won’t in MLS. They don’t even stop for international breaks.

The circumstances are different with the FIFA schedule. Star players aren't leaving the team for a month during the World Cup, which forces teams to field their B teams during that month. Plus, in this sport, cold is more tolerable than heat.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The circumstances are different with the FIFA schedule. Star players aren't leaving the team for a month during the World Cup, which forces teams to field their B teams during that month. Plus, in this sport, cold is more tolerable than heat.
Great then they’re competing with football, hockey, basketball.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

This! Not sure if Vamos has ever heard of this thing called football. Which dominates Saturday and Sunday for basically 4-5 months. Oh and a bunch of MLS teams share fields with NFL teams....

Reactions: Gecklund

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California

I'm just saying fall to spring makes more sense for the sport. Of course I agree that it doesn't for the business of MLS. Competition with other fall major leagues is basically the only road block. And I was just pointing out that your excuse of cold winters in places like Minnesota wasn't really valid.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm just saying fall to spring makes more sense for the sport. Of course I agree that it doesn't for the business of MLS. Competition with other fall major leagues is basically the only road block. And I was just pointing out that your excuse of cold winters in places like Minnesota wasn't really valid.
It is because if MLS won’t even stop for the world freaking cup then no way do they stop for a winter break

Reactions: robertmac43

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It is because if MLS won’t even stop for the world freaking cup then no way do they stop for a winter break

I don't see the comparison. While they'd lose some of the stars, not every team is affected by the World Cup so the show must go on while harsh winter conditions involve all teams including teams from warm weather cities (as they have to play on the road in cold weather cities).

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I don't see the comparison. While they'd lose some of the stars, not every team is affected by the World Cup so the show must go on while harsh winter conditions involve all teams including teams from warm weather cities (as they have to play on the road in cold weather cities).

The weather thing is about fans showing up, not the teams.

Current schedule starts too early for a lot of the country as is, but you can't condense it further. This isn't the NFL where people will show up when it's 20, let alone 20 below.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad