MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Such a bizarre thing to see. Imagine if this was basketball and a player threw a ball at a fan or football or any of the other major sports. Has to be a long suspension and Red Bulls probably find a way to send him out of the league.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Such a bizarre thing to see. Imagine if this was basketball and a player threw a ball at a fan or football or any of the other major sports. Has to be a long suspension and Red Bulls probably find a way to send him out of the league.

Tmac did that twice. Hell Artest fought a fan as did Mad mike in hockey.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Tmac did that twice. Hell Artest fought a fan as did Mad mike in hockey.

I'll always partially defend Artest, a fan threw a beer at him after players will getting calmed down after a fight on the court. There is at least a reason for why he did that.

I'd partially defend Kaku if it came out that a fan or someone provoked him, these guys are human after all, but I don't believe that was the case.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'll always partially defend Artest, a fan threw a beer at him after players will getting calmed down after a fight on the court. There is at least a reason for why he did that.

I'd partially defend Kaku if it came out that a fan or someone provoked him, these guys are human after all, but I don't believe that was the case.
Well he fought the wrong fan...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well he fought the wrong fan...

Don't disagree, his actions were still more wrong than right, I just understand his reaction since he was provoked.

My point with Kaku though is he'll get a decently long suspension, but if there has already been issues between him and the Red Bulls, then I bet the 2 sides will find a way to mutually move him.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The fans in the entire section should have gone after him and beat him up good. The players of SKC should have done a lot more also.

He's VERY LUCKY fans in North America are really well mannered...

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
MLS has to improve TV Ratings. Nobody is denying that.

MLB and baseball is on a decline everywhere.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
There’s little buzz with MLS this year honestly, usually there is some with expansion teams but Cincinnati doesn’t do it for the casual fans, neither will Nashville or Austin in the next couple years too. Attendance and ratings especially are down early this season, think one of the recent FS1 games did under 100k

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I mean, TV metrics are fairly important to you know, everything money-wise with regards to the league.
Sponsorship dollars, kit revenue, ad revenue, and, most importantly, the next TV deal all are directly tied into TV viewership. Ticket and concession revenue are really the only soccer related items that arent ratings-driven. I like how you laugh off negative MLS statistics/metrics that you dont agree with while still posit-ing that MLB is on a death spiral.

Fact is, most ratings are in a decline, very few sporting events dont drop year over year in general. However, MLS' ratings drop is even more precipitous than MLB. Guess what is the big revenue driver for most leagues: TV deal. If this kind of ratings slide keeps up, it is going to be very hard for the league's TV partners to want to keep their commitment at the current rates. It will be interesting to see the knock-on effect if there is a leveling off of the MLS TV rights deal; nevermind a potential reduction in the rights.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Obviously I understand this, I've said it many times that the biggest challenge for MLS is tv ratings. The problem is too many teams lowering the quality of play, regular season that don't mean much, bad quality broadcasts and commentators are all happening now.

Soccer as a whole is growing in America, the most popular sport played, incredible high ratings for World Cups (including Women) Euros, very good ratings for EPL La Liga, good attendance in enough markets in MLS, really what is lacking is the quality in MLS and US National Team which would help ratings for MLS.

There are 18 teams in Bundesliga and 20 in EPL so on what planet do MLS think they can have a quality league with 24 teams and soon to be 26 28 30 teams?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If the guy is so above this league why has he been a complete useless tub of suck for close to a year now? Unless he's just phoning it in, in which case what team in their right mind would bring in a total slug like that?
Given the fact that I don’t think I ever seen him play I doubt I would know the answer to this.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I was summoned by Cesar. Didn’t realize you were the posting police.

Kaku appears to be a bit of a petulant hot-head. I doubt that you can blame this on his signing in MLS. That is what got him noticed by Club America in the first place. Do you think Miguel Almiron regrets signing in MLS?

Kaku being stupid for five seconds probably has more to do with his personality supplemented by frustration for being out of form for the better part of NYRB's last 25 matches.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don’t actually believe he’s mad signing in the MLS... I thought the humour was apparent but guess not.

Not sure... if he believes he has enough talent to play elsewhere than yeah, probably.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sooo Pozuelo just had himself an absolutely amazing night and I don't know if anyone in Toronto will pick up on it after the wins by the Raps and Leafs

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Sooo Pozuelo just had himself an absolutely amazing night and I don't know if anyone in Toronto will pick up on it after the wins by the Raps and Leafs
TSN does a good job covering the team and 22k at the game not bad.
There's probably more soccer fans in and around Toronto than basketball-football-baseball fans combined so a Spanish Star playing great for the home team certainly will have their attention.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
TSN does a good job covering the team and 22k at the game not bad.
There's probably more soccer fans in and around Toronto than basketball-football-baseball fans combined so a Spanish Star playing great for the home team certainly will have their attention.
There wasn't 22K at the game. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->