MLS potential change to the Playoffs format

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
No one is going to watch this... they get pretty terrible ratings for their 2 legged platform already. Stop watering down the product.

It's like Don Garber looked at the NHL expansion first and said lets do what they did and expand way too fast too quickly. Then he looked at Adam Silver adding in more teams during the pandemic / play-in.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
No one is going to watch this... they get pretty terrible ratings for their 2 legged platform already.

It's single-elimination now. Which goes to my point about them changing the format every few years.

Guess anything is better than when New York were crowned "Western Conference Champions" only to be outdone a couple years later when Colorado beat San Jose to become "Eastern Conference Champions."

Reactions: OG6ix

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
It's single-elimination now. Which goes to my point about them changing the format every few years.

Guess anything is better than when New York were crowned "Western Conference Champions" only to be outdone a couple years later when Colorado beat San Jose to become "Eastern Conference Champions."

That's right... I forgot about the "Wild Card" years, where it was the top X teams by points, and you could cross conferences to get in.

It's a very North American thing to have a playoff format, anyway. Trying to make it more like a World Cup with pools makes even less sense... isn't that what the regular season is for? Group Play, so to speak?

Reactions: Reaser

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
That's right... I forgot about the "Wild Card" years, where it was the top X teams by points, and you could cross conferences to get in.

It's a very North American thing to have a playoff format, anyway. Trying to make it more like a World Cup with pools makes even less sense... isn't that what the regular season is for? Group Play, so to speak?
I don't think it's a particularly great idea but it's no more goofy or nonsensical than the Champions/Europa/Conference/Whatever League format. The only difference is it would be played as a direct continuation of the regular season's results instead of having it awkwardly lag a year behind.

Reactions: Spydey629

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad