Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team II - New York City wins the MLS Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/revolution/revolution-are-team-destiny-and-it-starts-saturday

The Revolution enter Saturday's first-round matchup as No. 7 seeds against the No. 2 Atlanta United FC. There's the underdog part. The team was tied for last in MLS in points when they fired their head coach after a 2-8-2 start. There's the rock bottom. Matt Turner was undrafted out of Fairfield but has been dynamite in goal this season.

As for the breaks, they've gone both ways. Anyone who watched the NYC FC game where the Revs got called for a bogus red card in the first 10 minutes knows the Revs haven't had the best fortune, but they're catching a break and half in the form of Atlanta being without one of their best players.

Atlanta is one of only three teams to beat the Bruce Arena-led Revolution. They had star defender Miles Robinson for that game though, and they won't Saturday. Robinson, who is from Arlington (cool!) finished third in MLS Defender of the Year voting. I don't know how soccer is, ya know, played, but I imagine he would have been a big part of Atlanta's efforts to stop New England's duo of Gustavo Bou and Carles Gil.
  • SATURDAY 1:00pm: New England Revolution at Atlanta United FC
    NBC Sports Boston, NBCSportsBoston.com & the NBC Sports App
The Revs are also good on the road. They're 3-2-5 under Arena on the road, but one of those losses absolutely doesn't count because it was that stupid NYC FC game. At any rate, the Revs don't seem fazed by road environments, which is good because Atlanta gets absolutely crazy for these games. They fill Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which holds over 70,000 people.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Revs have a puncher's chance in this one. Matt Turner is capable of keeping them in the game, and Gustavo Bou and Carles Gil are both capable of moments of brilliance.

I expect Atlanta to win. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Revs manage to pull the upset.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
0-0 at the half.

Good game. As expected, Atlanta has most of the possession, but only really troubled Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner once.

The Revs have had a couple of chances of their own - most notably, Cristian Penilla forced Brad Guzan into a brilliant diving stop towards the end of the half. Revs need to gain a bit more of a foothold in the midfield, though.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
0-0 at the half.

Good game. As expected, Atlanta has most of the possession, but only really troubled Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner once.

The Revs have had a couple of chances of their own - most notably, Cristian Penilla forced Brad Guzan into a brilliant diving stop towards the end of the half. Revs need to gain a bit more of a foothold in the midfield, though.
IT IS.... but it's frustrating at times being on the road there, sadly, it'll be the last locally produced Revolution game this season no matter what the outcome is...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Would it be fair to say that if the Revs made their coaching change a month or two earlier that they would've been a 4 or 5 seed and probably won a round? They were better than the normal 7 seed.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
RumorzZz about a Revs stadium in Everett

I won't believe it until the stadium is built and I am actually in a seat watching a game

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Revolution have made their first move of the off-season (...is it really the off-season if the post-season isn't over, yet?), signing Dutch left back Alexander Buttner to a contract. Buttner, 30, has previously played for Vitesse, Manchester United, Dynamo Moscow, and Anderlecht.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
USMNT currently playing Cuba in the most CONCACAF stadium I've ever seen.

Attachments

• 20191119_194936.jpg
    20191119_194936.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 9

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Euro group draw went down

Groups D through F are completely insane. France, Germany, and Portugal all in one group. England drew Croatia again. That tournament is going to be off the hook.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Revolution have signed free agent midfielder Kelyn Rowe. Rowe spent seven season with the Revs before Brad Friedel traded him last winter for Edgar Castillo. Castillo was benched by new coach Bruce Arena, and was subsequently released following the season. Rowe was a fan favorite with New England, and won the team's Humanitarian of the Year Award five straight seasons.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->