Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The final wasn't very remarkable, though high scoring. Never seemed to be a lot of drama after the French went up 2-1. Still, one of the top three tournaments of my viewing lifetime along with 98 and 2010.

Reactions: Boston Bruno

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Fantastic WC. One of my favorites overall in my 30+ years of religiously watching (anyone else remember the NBC/ESPN coverage in 86?). Plenty of close matches, tons of upsets, rising stars making statements, reffing was better than usual thanks in part to VAR, and diving was not rewarded nearly as much as in the past. The final match was not a nail biter, but it was still entertaining. France and England were two of the three youngest teams in the 2018 WC. Both teams will likely be a threat to win the next WC.

Reactions: Estlin and Fossy21

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
No idea how Modric won man of the tournament. Thought Hazard should’ve won it, and Modric wasn’t even the best player on his team imo, especially in the playoff games (Subasic).

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Great world cup. I really enjoyed it beginning to end. Even with Holland, Italy, and especially Chile missing, the game quality was great and it seems that the number of insanely beautiful goals was unusually high. This might be related to the splendor of all the goals from set-pieces, but it all makes for great entertainment. Can't wait for Euro 2020.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I never understood this, from any fan base, for any sport.

When the B’s won the Cup in 2011, I was absolutely elated. The idea of going out and destroying something never entered my mind. I was like this when I was younger also, and felt the same way, win or lose.

I was at UMass in 86 when the Sox lost to the Mets and there were incidents that occurred there. I was so disappointed, the last thing I wanted to do was riot.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Great world cup. I really enjoyed it beginning to end. Even with Holland, Italy, and especially Chile missing, the game quality was great and it seems that the number of insanely beautiful goals was unusually high. This might be related to the splendor of all the goals from set-pieces, but it all makes for great entertainment. Can't wait for Euro 2020.

Thank god for the Euros in the intervening years, as I shake my head when I realize that the next World Cup final will take place in Qatar-in December. It should have been at Wembley, obviously.

For what it's worth, NPR had an interview with Howard Webb before the final.

Reactions: Fossy21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->