Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In any competitive goal scoring sport you can find it. Hockey soccer basketball.. I wouldn't doubt it in NFL or mlb either. I don't know because I don't watch either of those

It’s much worse in soccer, and exists because they tolerate and allow it.

I’m happy for Croatia, but the diving issue was highlighted by the CRO player who scored the GWG. There was a collision, but watching the replay, you could see he didn’t do anything major to the knee. Stays down for 5-6 minutes, gets himself a good rest and then comes back in after the extra time “half”. Miraculously, he scores the winner a couple of minutes later.

Then to put a cherry on top, he goes down 3 more times in the next 10 minutes or so. It was so bad that the ENG players were yelling for him to get off the field.

I can’t get past that kind of BS.

There is some embellishment in hockey, but look at the injuries these guys play with in the playoffs. Can you imagine a hockey player pulling that BS in a Final?

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I said Croatia would make it to the final

France should win Sunday. I like France over Croatia with all things equal to begin with, but Croatia is really banged up and has played three 120 minute matches in a row. Shouldn't be much of a problem for les Bleus.

I like Belgium over England in the third place game.
Yes, good call!! I really didn't see it, but it was a perceptive prediction.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

I’m happy for Croatia, but the diving issue was highlighted by the CRO player who scored the GWG. There was a collision, but watching the replay, you could see he didn’t do anything major to the knee. Stays down for 5-6 minutes, gets himself a good rest and then comes back in after the extra time “half”. Miraculously, he scores the winner a couple of minutes later.

Then to put a cherry on top, he goes down 3 more times in the next 10 minutes or so. It was so bad that the ENG players were yelling for him to get off the field.

There is some embellishment in hockey, but look at the injuries these guys play with in the playoffs. Can you imagine a hockey player pulling that BS in a Final?
Hopefully VAR takes the amount of dives down. Refs are under the gun more so now. Look at Neymar, think he got away with what he normally does. He got put in his place the last two games.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

That guy is a clown, to the point the ref let him stay down and didn't stop play.

I try and try to get into soccer, truly I do. I played for a long time, but shit like that makes it impossible.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yes, good call!! I really didn't see it, but it was a perceptive prediction.
While they probably could've hung with everybody, the way the draw fell really worked in their favor. They had to go through Denmark-Russia-England, which is nothing compared to Argentina-Uruguay-Belgium. They really made it harder on themselves than it had to be, but they made it here nonetheless. They're establishing themselves as a real European soccer power, they're not a flash in the pan. They don't have a domestic league that really compares to the rest of Europe, but their national team players are in Barca, Real, Liverpool, Milan, Inter, and Juventus. They're legit.

Imagine if Yugoslavia hadnt broken up and they could add the best Serb, Slovene, and Bosnian players to this team. They'd be perennial powers.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That guy is a clown, to the point the ref let him stay down and didn't stop play.

I try and try to get into soccer, truly I do. I played for a long time, but **** like that makes it impossible.

My youngest was a pretty good player, but he went with lacrosse instead, so my interest has waned in soccer.

It’s dumb, but it makes my blood boil when I see guys pulling shit like that and guys like Bergeron and Simmonds play through ridiculous injuries in the playoffs. It’s embarrassing.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
For my 40th birthday, my wife and I went to Ireland on a tour. There was a dad and three of his sons on the tour as well. One of the sons was apparently a very good NCAA soccer player and was playing in one of the lower pro Euro leagues.

He said the difference between the culture in the NCAA and the Euro leagues was literally a shock to the system. He said he practically had to relearn the game because the diving was so blatant and so ingrained into the game.
andycapp_1.jpg

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Croatia wins the battle to lose to France. Seriously though Croatia is the more talented between them and England so I suppose it will make for a better final, but England-France would have been cool for historical reasons.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
What's the word on Fox's ratings so far? I don't have cable, so I've been watching elsewhere (bars and friend's houses, and the like...) I know there were great fears about the US not being in it, but holy cow, its been an excellent tournament, very entertaining. Is there anywhere I can find how the ratings have been? I've looked a bit and haven't found much.

U.S. World Cup ratings down 42 percent without American team

Anything more recent?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Definitely wouldn’t be surprised to see Croatia win this somehow. France didn’t look overwhelmingly good against either Uruguay or Belgium and were ripe for the taking for England, imo.

Croatia barely even qualified for the tourny, have had their fair share of luck along the way (3 straight penalty kick/extra time wins in the playoff stage is even worse than Portugal in that aspect, though they did win their group before that whereas Portugal were lucky to make it out of the group stage in 2016). They just can’t lose. I don’t really care who wins, I guess I’d be more sour on Croatia winning it, but at the same time happier for them as well, paradoxically.

Most people will probably go for the underdog in Croatia, as they did against England before, which immediately revokes their status as underdog and probably gives me reason to root for France. At least France vs Argentina was probably the match of the tournament for me, however ”boring” their games since have been.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

I hate soccer and pretty much everything about it.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Definitely wouldn’t be surprised to see Croatia win this somehow. France didn’t look overwhelmingly good against either Uruguay or Belgium and were ripe for the taking for England, imo.

Croatia barely even qualified for the tourny, have had their fair share of luck along the way (3 straight penalty kick/extra time wins in the playoff stage is even worse than Portugal in that aspect, though they did win their group before that whereas Portugal were lucky to make it out of the group stage in 2016). They just can’t lose. I don’t really care who wins, I guess I’d be more sour on Croatia winning it, but at the same time happier for them as well, paradoxically.

Most people will probably go for the underdog in Croatia, as they did against England before, which immediately revokes their status as underdog and probably gives me reason to root for France. At least France vs Argentina was probably the match of the tournament for me, however ”boring” their games since have been.

The problem for Croatia is that they are facing the only other team in the tournament that has a better midfield than they do. They likely won’t be able to take over the game in midfield as they often do with Kante & Pogba and co. as their opposition.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

It's definitely an issue and more prevalent among certain players and leagues. I think there is an embellishment penalty in soccer similar to the hockey one, but it rarely gets called because penalties in soccer are much more severe.

I just started watching soccer when NBC started airing Premier league on weekend mornings before football. It took me like four years to figure out the strategies and what was happening on the pitch. I'm hooked now. I love no commercials and that the 11:00 am game ends just before 1:00 pm NFL kickoff every week.

Today's refs sucked, but in general has been good this WC. They mostly let them play. Nothing better than someone taking a fake sniper shot and bleeding out and refs and players playing around his writhing body telling him to get up.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What's the word on Fox's ratings so far? I don't have cable, so I've been watching elsewhere (bars and friend's houses, and the like...) I know there were great fears about the US not being in it, but holy cow, its been an excellent tournament, very entertaining. Is there anywhere I can find how the ratings have been? I've looked a bit and haven't found much.

U.S. World Cup ratings down 42 percent without American team

Anything more recent?

Fox seems happy with World Cup ad revenue haul despite having to offer make-goods

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
At first I thought Subasic got caught sleeping, but he was leaning the other way for the first shot attempt and was screened, so no chance at stopping that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad