MLS Montreal rebranding

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't understand this. Yes rebrands are ways to sell new merch but it can be done by keeping the name.

The Impact name pre dated their MLS days back to 1992. A team with no history going with a generic FC name is one thing. Many fans are not liking this move.

Reactions: Rigafan and DaveG

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah that sucks. I'm glad it's being ripped by many on the various reddits and social platforms.

The name is so clumsy and it doesnt even make sense culturally.

Some of the new shirts being marketed are just cringe.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Pretty sure they won 13 trophies with the name Impact More than any team in Canada Soccer
during their existence

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It seems like a move to please the French Expat Demographic, if anything.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Club de Foot :laugh:

I mean...as an outsider, Impact does sound like an indoor soccer name...but I never thought I'd be able to say that I'm actually thrilled that the MLS team I root for still has a silly-ass name because a dumb personality is better than no personality. This faux European branding shit is hardly new in the MLS, but we reached saturation point about half a dozen teams ago. Stop it.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Given my hopeless trainwreck of a club in the MLS level, the Houston Dynamo, decided they needed to add an "FC" to their name and a whole new logo was what they needed to reverse fortunes (when what they really needed to do was get a new owner), I'm not happy with the homogenization of MLS.

Then again, my local franchise still remains an odd duck, and I'll fight anyone who says "Indy Eleven" isn't an awesome name.

Reactions: Hoek and DaveG

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Just when I thought soccer team names couldn't get more awful.

For the record, I'm going to keep calling them the Impact. I didn't even like that name, but this is just a joke. Club de foot? Are you f***ing serious?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
It seems like a move to please the French Expat Demographic, if anything.
Ah, yeah, les "Sortez les Anglos du Québec" foule.

As if they hadn't already done enough to convince English speakers Montreal isn't friendly to them anymore.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ah, yeah, les "Sortez les Anglos du Québec" foule.

As if they hadn't already done enough to convince English speakers Montreal isn't friendly to them anymore.

Errhhmm. No.
French Expat.
French from France.

If you think Montreal isn't friendly to English-speakers, you should, with regards, probably travel more.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I like the change. Impact had too much of an indoor ring.
Perhaps. But now they are the Club Foot FC.

I mean which is worse, really?

Given my hopeless trainwreck of a club in the MLS level, the Houston Dynamo, decided they needed to add an "FC" to their name and a whole new logo was what they needed to reverse fortunes (when what they really needed to do was get a new owner), I'm not happy with the homogenization of MLS.

Then again, my local franchise still remains an odd duck, and I'll fight anyone who says "Indy Eleven" isn't an awesome name.
I am ok with Dynamo. At least there is no other Dynamos in the league. And I don't care if teams want to insert FC or SC at the end of their names.

Reactions: DaveG

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
There's no FC at the end.

Otherwise, yeah, THAT would be endlessly moronic.
Just saying, thats what opposition fans are going to call them.

Also, read what the geniuses who came up with this name had to say. It absolutely screams pretentiousness.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just saying, thats what opposition fans are going to call them.

Also, read what the geniuses who came up with this name had to say. It absolutely screams pretentiousness.

It Wilhelm screams pretentiousness.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's a shame, because that logo could have been great. It's got the whole geometric 60s/70s look which totally recalls that fantastic period of Canadian design (think CBC logo, centennial logo, hell...even the Canadian flag itself), but pairing it with those dull colours -Man, it just ends up looking like the Empire logo from Star Wars.

But don't even get me started on the name. Club de Foot - Is that even a thing?
Seems ridiculous that famous and storied clubs from around the world can call themselves Football Club (yes, teams like Paris SG or Juventus actually use the English term in their official name), yet Montreal feels the need to make up some ridiculous sounding new term. Why?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's a shame, because that logo could have been great. It's got the whole geometric 60s/70s look which totally recalls that fantastic period of Canadian design (think CBC logo, centennial logo, hell...even the Canadian flag itself), but pairing it with those dull colours -Man, it just ends up looking like the Empire logo from Star Wars.

I thought it looked like a police corps logo as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->