MLS 2016 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Tfc vs MTL was entertaining in terms of drama, but footbsll wise it was comical

That's the MLS. Not sure what you were expecting. I used to be a Season Tickets Holder for the Impact and still enjoyed every game. With family obligations can't go every game now.

MLS is entertaining but don't expect high quality football. I still enjoy it. Defenders in MLS are really bad, attackers and forwards like Piatti, Giovinco really abuse them. Other weakness in the MLS is midfielders can run a lot but no creativity whatsoever.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Football wise it was pretty average and the defending was comical, the referee was terrible, the crowd was excellent though better than at many many big clubs. One this is sure though Piatti and Giovinco proved once again why they didn't made it in Europe when the going gets tough they are not there...

Record ratings for clubs games in Canada, both on english network and french network.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I don't really follow MLS all too closely but I consider myself an Earthquakes fan for the purposes of this league.

Can anyone explain to me why the Quakes don't sign any of the big name players? Is it simply lack of funds? For example guys like Giovinco, Drogba, Gerrard, Lampard, Bradley, Morris, Jones, Howard, etc are never even rumored to be heading to SJ. I don't consider Chris Wondolowski to be a big draw or substantial player. With the new stadium I'd think the Quakes would be bringing in more money.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't really follow MLS all too closely but I consider myself an Earthquakes fan for the purposes of this league.

Can anyone explain to me why the Quakes don't sign any of the big name players? Is it simply lack of funds? For example guys like Giovinco, Drogba, Gerrard, Lampard, Bradley, Morris, Jones, Howard, etc are never even rumored to be heading to SJ. I don't consider Chris Wondolowski to be a big draw or substantial player. With the new stadium I'd think the Quakes would be bringing in more money.

Well Morris was always going to Seattle as a homegrown. Lampard I'm still convinced that it was an under the table deal with Man City.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

They've got money (though not as much as some of the bigger market clubs), I just don't think they want to spend $3+ million a year for a 'name' player. It's not like they're cheap as they're giving Innocent Emeghara $1.3 million to do absolutely nothing and reportedly spent a multimillion dollar transfer fee to get Matias Perez Garcia a couple years back.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
They've got money (though not as much as some of the bigger market clubs), I just don't think they want to spend $3+ million a year for a 'name' player. It's not like they're cheap as they're giving Innocent Emeghara $1.3 million to do absolutely nothing and reportedly spent a multimillion dollar transfer fee to get Matias Perez Garcia a couple years back.

Yes I knew Emeghara and MPG were two of their DPs but as you eluded to, neither do much. I suppose it's just the mentality of the front office then. I'd personally prefer they spent more on an individual big name DP than spread it out amongst a few average ones.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Football wise it was pretty average and the defending was comical, the referee was terrible, the crowd was excellent though better than at many many big clubs. One this is sure though Piatti and Giovinco proved once again why they didn't made it in Europe when the going gets tough they are not there...

Record ratings for clubs games in Canada, both on english network and french network.

Are you really blaming giovinco for getting hurt?

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Report: Atlanta United to sign Paraguayan playmaker for $13 million

Rumors in September of this year had Almirón possibly heading to Premier League giants Arsenal in a deal reportedly just over $11 million. The Arsenal approach came after Almirón debuted for Paraguay in the Copa America Centenario in the U.S. over the summer. During that negotiation, Lanús’ president said that the club wanted to keep through the end of the year at least, but they did expect that he would end up playing in Europe in the near future.

Its good that Atlanta is really willing to spend to field a good team.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

Isn't the Quakes' owner famous for being frugal? He's the same guy who owns the A's, right? Moneyball and all that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
MLS needs to keep scouting the South American leagues to get that talent in early.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Tampa Bay Rowdies looking join MLS

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/mls2stpete

David Villa win MLS MVP

MLS names it's best 11
Goal Keeper: Andrew Blake
Defenders: Jelle Van Damme, Matt Hedges, Axel Sjoberg
Midfielders: Mauro Diaz, Giovani Dos Santos, Sacha Kljestan, Ignacio Piatti
Forwards: Sebastian Giovinco, Bradley Wright-Phillips, David Villa

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Guardado next on atlantas list...

This team is going to be great for the league. Already have Villalba, Almiron and Kenwyne locked up. If they get guardado and perhaps anther name like Jermaine Jones or Keane along with solid MLSers around them, they will be a joy to watch. Definitely a playoff contender.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It looks like NASL is about to fold completely, as are the Cosmos.

Some NASL teams are looking to jump ship to USL, who BTW will most likely be given D2 status as soon as next week.

Teams that are looking to jump ship to USL for the upcoming season include; Carolina (Railhawks) FC, Indy Eleven FC, San Fran Deltas FC.

The rest of the NASL teams are unknown at this point.

--------------------------------------

As for MLS's concern, this is good news. As USL and MLS are under the same SUM(Soccer United Marketing) umbrella. NASL's adversarial attitudes will be gone and the goals of both leagues will be a unified one. with the massive amount of USL teams it's possible that USL might start and internal Pro/Rel system to help with regional scheduling and entertainment value.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I hope the Tampa Bay Rowdies never make the jump to MLS - purely because of their ludicrous name. I know it's a favorite among hard-core American soccer buffs, but man, what a stupid name. It's bad enough having to use the name Real Salt Lake when chatting with people about MLS. Please, not the Rowdies too.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I hope the Tampa Bay Rowdies never make the jump to MLS - purely because of their ludicrous name. I know it's a favorite among hard-core American soccer buffs, but man, what a stupid name. It's bad enough having to use the name Real Salt Lake when chatting with people about MLS. Please, not the Rowdies too.

It's a name, get over it. Red Bulls isn't exactly a wonderful name either.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Going to drop into the single digits with the windchill on Saturday.

Perhaps this will be the match where MLS decides to not have the season end in friggin December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->