MLS 2015 Season Part 4: The Champions League Beat Downening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
As a Liverpool hater...**** that guy. I can't wait until he retires and gets the **** outta LA. He's added nothing, not even on set pieces.

dos Santos isn't much better...

The defensive line has potential, but has been a mess early on.

Zardes has been in neutral for the better part of a calendar year now...

This team just isn't that good. Too many players, not enough places for those players to play, and none of them have shown the ability to adapt. This is going to be a rough year in LA. There's certainly the potential for things to turn around, I think de Jong is going to be a beast in this league, but right now this is a bubble playoff team at best. All of this offensive talent and the only guy who has shown any ability to finish through the Champions League and pre-season is Jose Villarreal, who is buried on the depth chart.

Seems like they can't get it together since Donovan retired. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Seems like they can't get it together since Donovan retired. Coincidence? I doubt it.

No doubt, he was the glue that held everything together. Hell, the one time the team has looked legitimately good for a stretch post-Donovan was when Lletget was playing at his best in Donovan's spot.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Don't know how to embed tweets and at work so here is the link:
https://twitter.com/nicksabetti/status/705450208528887809

Drogba will not play or train on turf. 4 of the Impact's first 5 games are on turf and they will be training on turf until April(Canadian winters).

I would refuse to pay him for the games he misses because of this. He knew there are turf surfaces in the MLS and he played on them last season. This kind of arrogance infuriates me when it comes to soccer players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Drogba will not play or train on turf. 4 of the Impact's first 5 games are on turf and they will be training on turf until April(Canadian winters).

I would refuse to pay him for the games he misses because of this. He knew there are turf surfaces in the MLS and he played on them last season. This kind of arrogance infuriates me when it comes to soccer players.

They should just let him coach at Chelsea. He's very good, but a situation like that only gives the club a bad name. Target Ibra in the summer to replace Drogba.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

:(

Was looking forward to seeing Drogba on Sunday.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Dude has knee problems. As long as the club is fine with it I don't see a problem.

http://www.espnfc.us/montreal-impac...-wont-play-on-turf-for-montreal-to-start-year

If his knees hurt to the point where he can't play on turf then he can't play at all as most of the turf that is used in the MLS is softer to run on than actual grass. It's not just spray painted concrete like it was in the past, the stuff they use now is better than grass in all but the most elite cases

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Always knew he was a ****ing *****.

OMG you're so cool!

Didier CAN'T play on turf. He said yesterday that the perfect scenario would be to find somewhere in Montreal to train on grass, but there isn't and won't be for a while. The idea of training in Miami is that the team there is coached by Nesta, who obviously has ties to Montreal.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
OMG you're so cool!

Didier CAN'T play on turf. He said yesterday that the perfect scenario would be to find somewhere in Montreal to train on grass, but there isn't and won't be for a while. The idea of training in Miami is that the team there is coached by Nesta, who obviously has ties to Montreal.

Why? No one has explained this aside from "he has knee problems". The turf these teams use isn't just carpet over asphalt, it's practically grass.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If his knees hurt to the point where he can't play on turf then he can't play at all as most of the turf that is used in the MLS is softer to run on than actual grass. It's not just spray painted concrete like it was in the past, the stuff they use now is better than grass in all but the most elite cases

Hate to say I agree. I loathe that turf is still a thing in the MLS, but it's inevitable in most of the locations where it is...but it's not the turf that we grew up watching where a fall basically meant going down on painted cement.

Oh well, if Montreal is fine with him doing this then that's their funeral.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Hate to say I agree. I loathe that turf is still a thing in the MLS, but it's inevitable in most of the locations where it is...but it's not the turf that we grew up watching where a fall basically meant going down on painted cement.

Oh well, if Montreal is fine with him doing this then that's their funeral.

Growing up watching NFL and college football I don't have the same aversion to turf in soccer other people do but I understand that people view it negatively as it does change how a game is played out.

But as you said, in the northern part of the continent you will need turf as in the first part of the season and the tail end the ground would be frozen solid.

It just really infuriates me that players come to a league that uses artificial fields and then refuse to play on them even if it means missing significant time and teams are ok with that because they're star players.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Growing up watching NFL and college football I don't have the same aversion to turf in soccer other people do but I understand that people view it negatively as it does change how a game is played out.

But as you said, in the northern part of the continent you will need turf as in the first part of the season and the tail end the ground would be frozen solid.

It just really infuriates me that players come to a league that uses artificial fields and then refuse to play on them even if it means missing significant time and teams are ok with that because they're star players.

Coming from NS, the grass fields are so poorly kept (due to weather and a lack of caring from the government) that turf is a must. Even during the summer season, the grass fields are absolute trash. So, having grown up playing on crappy grass, I have more sympathy towards turf than most. Maybe it is that I'm used to turf, but I don't understand a lot of the apprehension towards it (besides turf burn, because holy mother of god is that ever awful). I think, especially from the Canadian perspective, turf is kind of a must in a lot of places, especially where the proper grass field infrastructure doesn't exist.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Why? No one has explained this aside from "he has knee problems". The turf these teams use isn't just carpet over asphalt, it's practically grass.

Well he played in NE last year. And the one at the Big O is quite hard and tough on knees.

The only one that is fine is Portland's, because of what's under.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Zardes gets extension.

Good old TAM used to buy down his hit...not sure if he's still eligible for any sort of Homegrown discount, but regardless this represents a big raise for Gyasi. Now it'd be nice if Bruce used him in the position he can actually play.

Ariel Lassiter also signed to round out the roster, which is something I expected to happen months ago. Lassiter had a big year for Los Dos and even played 45 solid minutes for the Galaxy in a friendly against FC Barcelona last July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad