MLS 2015 Season Part 4: The Champions League Beat Downening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
These playoffs have been ****ing excellent. Can't wait for the next round and possibly seeing NYRB host MLS Cup final :yo:

It's no grueling relegation battle, obviously, but I guess it'll have to do!

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Drogba is most hated on every BPL forum except Chelsea...

guy has always been a dirty/diving/diva player.

He's amazing off the pitch, wanna win in every way possiblle!

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Cruyff said:
I've finally seen a good replay and the 2nd Columbus goal is offside also, clearly offside. Not the guy who scores on the rebound but the #30 who takes the shot is coming back from an offside position.

Drogba should have been sent off in the first game and the number of dives he took in both games is unreal, that being said Sauro should have been sent off in both games also and yesterday the early tackle from behind is the best exemple of a direct red card as you would get.

I don't understant mls, how they are such a bizarre and unprofessional league all around.

All around? No. But MLS does have horrible officiating. All around it's a pretty well run league.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
LA has an offer of $3m for Zardes from a Championship club (I imagine Reading). As for the bolded, PUT ON YOUR TINFOIL HATS.

I’m told the Galaxy has a $3 million offer for Gyasi Zardes from a club in the English Championship. If LA were to sell Zardes, a homegrown player, it could get enough allocation money to buy down Gonzalez's budget charge and keep him on the team next season. Perhaps more likely, I’m also told there’s a pretty good chance MLS owners will change the rules and bring more TAM money into the system for next season—and potentially keep Gonzalez and everyone else in LA.

If we don't re-sign Jones, I want NE to be all over this.

I’m hearing Seattle is actively shopping Alonso for a trade around MLS. The Cuban émigré has been one of MLS’s best defensive midfielders in recent years, but he’s now 30 and has been injured during the last two postseasons. Alonso has two years left on a guaranteed contract that pays him nearly $800,000 a year

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/3skh16/grant_wahl_insider_notes_la_galaxy_have/

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
:rant:Again with the rule changes to accomidate the galaxy:shakehead

Pretty sure the rule applies to every team in the league.

How can any MLS fan be angry about a rule allowing all teams to keep good players?

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
As a Galaxy fan, even I can't defend this :laugh: .

I can defend it. Without teams like the Galaxy pushing for the league to go bigger and better and actually be able to loosen the purse strings, we'd still be stuck in MLS 1.0 mode. There would have been no Beckham, no Henry, no Giovinco, no Martins, no Dempsey, no GDS, no Kaka. Probably no huge crowds in Seattle to watch little known players. It's baffling that any MLS fan would complain about rule changes that benefit not just the Galaxy, but everyone else as well. If the Galaxy didn't push for rule changes (that apply to the entire league), everyone would be operating according to Colorado's standards. Does any of us want that?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I can defend it. Without teams like the Galaxy pushing for the league to go bigger and better and actually be able to loosen the purse strings, we'd still be stuck in MLS 1.0 mode. There would have been no Beckham, no Henry, no Giovinco, no Martins, no Dempsey, no GDS, no Kaka. Probably no huge crowds in Seattle to watch little known players. It's baffling that any MLS fan would complain about rule changes that benefit not just the Galaxy, but everyone else as well. If the Galaxy didn't push for rule changes (that apply to the entire league), everyone would be operating according to Colorado's standards. Does any of us want that?

You are absolutely right about the Galaxy pushing the limits to grow the league. It's just that this one looks really obvious that it's really trying to help the Galaxy. Not many other teams are in the situation that we are in.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
You are absolutely right about the Galaxy pushing the limits to grow the league. It's just that this one looks really obvious that it's really trying to help the Galaxy. Not many other teams are in the situation that we are in.

Every other team in the league can make use of this rule. This is from the Washington Post article:

Targeted allocation money can be applied toward signing or re-signing a player earning more than the maximum budget charge ($436,250) or lessening the impact of such designated players when a new DP is acquired.

If you're Montreal, you can now go out and sign yourself another shiny new Argentine to make your roster stronger overall. If you're a fan of Montreal, this is good news. People shouldn't be criticizing LA for pushing the league to improve, they should be criticizing the cheapskate owners for refusing to spend more. And this rule change looks like it would be great everyone. You can sign the kind of player who will actually make your team better without having to blow silly money on an over-the-hill former superstar.

I remember back in the day it was often alleged that the league was literally trying to give NY and LA an advantage over everyone else by making sure they had better players. This is nothing like that. As a basically neutral MLS fan I'm all in favor of it.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Every other team in the league can make use of this rule. This is from the Washington Post article:

If you're Montreal, you can now go out and sign yourself another shiny new Argentine to make your roster stronger overall. If you're a fan of Montreal, this is good news. People shouldn't be criticizing LA for pushing the league to improve, they should be criticizing the cheapskate owners for refusing to spend more. And this rule change looks like it would be great everyone. You can sign the kind of player who will actually make your team better without having to blow silly money on an over-the-hill former superstar.

I remember back in the day it was often alleged that the league was literally trying to give NY and LA an advantage over everyone else by making sure they had better players. This is nothing like that. As a basically neutral MLS fan I'm all in favor of it.

I'm well aware that every team is able to use it. I guess what I don't like about this is that if they are able to expand this rule now, shouldn't it already have been there in the first place? Because it looks from the outside looking in like a blatant attempt to help the Galaxy. I know its not, but it looks like it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad