PK2: Pronovost-Mahovlich-Seabrook-Bubla

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Congrats to both of you.

Potential weaknesses for each team to address:

Nova Scotia:

Where is the grit in the top 6?

Is Pete Mahovlich worthy of a top 6 spot?

Erie:

Is MA Fleury worthy of being a MLD starter?

Are Corbeau and Greschner worthy of being top 4 defensemen?

Is Leduc worthy of being drafted here at all?

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Congrats to both of you.

Potential weaknesses for each team to address:

Nova Scotia:

Where is the grit in the top 6?

Is Pete Mahovlich worthy of a top 6 spot

1. That’s a fair critique, but it was more of an intentional decision on my part. I tried to focus more on skill, goal scoring and playmaking along with “fit” for each trio when building this team. I think Simmer-Weight-Hejduk and Stewart-Mahovlich-Shalimov work well together as lines even if there is a lack of grit there. So although I do agree with your point, I’m not sure it’s enough of a concern to hold my team back in this years MLD. In a perfect world would there be more grit? Yes. But depending on the opponent and each situation I don’t think every team absolutely needs noticeable grit in a top 6. In this situation I think my team is fine, but of course that’s up to you guys to decide.

Also I should make note that Pete Mahovlich was known to throw the body around quite a bit and would certainly not shy away from the rough stuff. So it’s not a lot of grit there overall obviously but he was known to be a hard checking forward when asked to play that kind of role depending on the circumstance. He was once referred to a “not so friendly giant when the going got rough.”

2. I believe so. I know we’re only 6 teams but I feel like you can do a lot worse than Pete Mahovlich as your 2nd line MLD center. I’m a fan of his. Two top 6 scoring finishes, Two top 3 assist finishes. From 1971 to 1980 he was 8th in the NHL for overall points and assists. Very crafty, smooth skating, superb stickhandler and nice playmaking skills. He plays a specific role and does it well for my club on that line, IMO.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
We’ll have to make sure this is finished before the ATD begins.

Then VI and I will immediately go from opponents to co-GM’s. A pretty neat and unique situation. :)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Please click each Blades' player's linked written bio summary (if not also the linked ATD bio within it) before judging each player's role on the team.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If you think the 2-time Stanley Cup champion as a starter, and Stanley Cup finalist with an expansion team (facing the most shots in the NHL), who is 6th all time in games won, is undeserving of starting in the minor league draft,... well,... I did draft one of the greatest clutch playoff money goalies of all time in HHOFer Gerry Cheevers.

Click on Cheesey to see why the coach would gladly bring him off the bench for this series if need be. (Spoiler: a staggering 53-11 NHL playoff record against non-dynasty teams, plus beat the Soviets in the '72 Summit Series.)

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Nova Scotia: (...)
Is Pete Mahovlich worthy of a top 6 spot?
Erie:

The waggish answer to both questions is "so far, umm- yeah(!)"

Are Corbeau and Greschner worthy of being top 4 defensemen?

And this could be answered similarly- but on a more serious note- the more relevant question is "would Claude Julien consider them worthy of them being top-4 Defensemen?"

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My bad.

My own linked bio clearly shows: Cheevers shaking Tretiak's hand after Cheevers won Game 2 of the 1974 (not 1972) Summit Series, of the WHA's best vs. the Soviets.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Haha it’s all about fit! I like Simmer and Stewart in my top 6 and I don’t feel like Bobrov would work at all on the bottom two lines as they are currently constructed. He’s a strong one-dimensional offensive threat but he’s difficult to find a good fit for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad