Joe Cooper - Aaron Ekblad
Hobey Baker

Roger Crozier
Gerry McNeil

vs.

Maine Black Bears

coach Ron Wilson

Tomas Holmstrom - Art Chapman - T.J. Oshie
Jeff Skinner - Vladimir Ruzicka - Mike Murphy (C)
Mike Krushelnyski - Pierre Mondou - Eddie Shack
Doug Smail - Alexei Zhamnov - Paul MacLean
Don Raleigh, Tony Granato

Lars Bjorn - Rick Ley (A)
Mattias Norstrom (A) - Torey Krug
Sergei Starikov - Marty Burke
Dave Lewis

Tom Paton
Viktor Konovalenko​

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Interesting to note that this is an MLD finals rematch as Van and I faced each other in the 2019 championship as well.

Thanks to everyone who continues to vote. And good luck @VanIslander! I’ve been pretty busy as I mentioned the other day, but I promise to try my best to set aside some time (likely this weekend) to post some thoughts on this matchup. I wanted to last round against RB but I just didn’t have the time. The championship round certainly deserves at least some form of discussion.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Cornwall’s special teams:

Note Scott Young is playing the point on the 2nd PP unit, a role he played at times throughout his career.

PP1: Stillman - Larouche - Zhluktov - O’Connell - Lumme

PP2: Shibicky - Plekanec - Warwick - Ekblad - Young

PK1: Plekanec - Konowalchuk - Godfrey - Green

PK2: Kindrachuk - Young - Cooper - Ekblad

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Actually, would Maine have home ice advantage? Both teams are top seeds, so I’m not sure if we’d go by regular season voting percentages or maybe use the previous round results (Maine won their series in less games) to decide? If this is the case I can edit the thread title and the order in the OP.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Maine will gladly win on the road. :)

Both teams have strong centers and goaltending.

Maine has advantages in terms of the blueline, checking responsibility on each line, powerplay wingers, penalty killers and an NHL dynasty-experienced 3rd line worthy of the main ATD!

That Black Bears third line has 10 Stanley Cups between them and each has respect as playoff performers in a 3rd line role. Krush scored 13 playoff points as a role player on Gretzky's wing in his first cup win, then Sather told Krush he had to become a shutdown center on the third line and he did for two more cups before Gretz took him to LA to be his winger again. Mondou was the 3rd line pivot for two Habs championships in their last dynasty, Shack a member of the 3rd line (Pulford-Ellis-Shack) for the entire last Leafs dynasty run.

Cornwall has wild cards in Stillman and Lumme, though they are equally wild in their erratic play, as likely to cough up pucks as they are to make magic. Billy Gilmour is on the 4th line but Cook is likely to put him on the 1st line for Cornwall given his dynasty experience and Warwick's limited upside. Carveth's best years were the war-depleted years of 1944 and 1945. That blueline doesn't have much puck-moving depth so Hobey Baker might be pressed to dress.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’ll get more into it this weekend, but Warwick has a specific role and purpose on that 1st line. Much like Holmstrom on the Black Bears, Warwick is clearly the 3rd option offensively on his line, but he serves his purpose. With Larouche and Stillman bringing the offense but not much in terms of physical play, I wanted Warwick’s game on the wing to compliment the duo. He was seen as somewhat of a little ball of hate in his day. A chippy little player who although won’t knock your socks off offensively he can certainly chip in as well if need be even if that’s not his primary role on the line. I liked the fit even if he may not be seen as an ideal 1st liner. Same could be said for Holmstrom. He’s not an ideal 1st liner at the MLD level but he serves his purpose and plays his role well.

But certainly, Cook has the option to swap Warwick and Gilmour on certain shifts if a situation called for it.

As for the Aces D, I think our puck moving depth is fine. Lumme, O’Connell and Ekblad can all move the puck, and each have a sound defensive partner in Godfrey, Green and Cooper so they are free to jump into the offense as much as possible without too much of a risk. The D pairings were set with that in mind.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough, but why is Warwick a questionable first liner? Was he not an aggressive forechecking guy who also put up decent numbers? His numbers, at least on the surface, look better than Oshie’s to me.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough, but why is Warwick a questionable first liner? Was he not an aggressive forechecking guy who also put up decent numbers? His numbers, at least on the surface, look better than Oshie’s to me.

That was my line of thinking, anyways. With Larouche and Stillman, I thought completing the trio with an up-tempo, chippy, forechecking guy who could also provide some occasional offense was a solid plan. Warwick fit the bill.

The slick playmaking Chapman has Holmstrom and Oshie as his wingers on Maine’s top line. I’m not sure those wingers are as good of a fit for Chapman as Stillman and Warwick are for Larouche, stylistically speaking, when comparing top units.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Warwick spent his first 4 years in the NHL during WWII. He was bounced out of the league at age 28. He spent the next 9 years in a combo of AHL and below... notorious because of one international tourney.

The MLD is supposed to highlight guys who could/should be ATDers. No way Warwick ever makes an ATD line up!

Please flush Warwick.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Warwick spent his first 4 years in the NHL during WWII. He was bounced out of the league at age 28. He spent the next 9 years in a combo of AHL and below... notorious because of one international tourney.

The MLD is supposed to highlight guys who could/should be ATDers. No way Warwick ever makes an ATD line up!

Please flush Warwick.

A player doesn’t get “flushed” just because you don’t like him Van.

A search shows that Warwick was an MLDer in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009...and so on..I’m getting tired of searching. Point being many GM’s over the years have liked him enough to draft him onto their MLD lineup.

Warwick belongs. Like I’ve stated, I needed a player to serve a particular role on a line for my team, and he fit the bill. I think you’re the only one who thinks he should be flushed.

You also stated Larouche should be flushed, despite the fact that he has played a top offensive role many times on MLD clubs over the years and was even just this year voted 1st star of the series in my round 1 victory and 2nd star in the round 2 victory. Larouche is what he is. A scoring center with his warts, which is why he doesn’t have a prime position at an ATD level but makes for a good MLDer. Well, same with Warwick. Not quite an ATDer but an annual MLD pick who absolutely belongs at “this level”.

Players don’t get flushed from these draft activities just because you personally don’t think they belong Van. You’re basically implying that I made it all the way to the finals with 2/3’s of a top line who doesn’t belong in an MLD. ;) You obviously know they belong here. You just don’t like them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad