MLBtv Questions

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Not sure this is the right place for this. My bluray player is stopping the MLB.TV app tomorrow so I need to find another way to stream onto my TV. I have thought about using a Roku stick as that seems the cheapest way.

Does anyone here use Roku to watch MLB? If so which one do you use and is it any good?

Thanks in advance.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not sure this is the right place for this. My bluray player is stopping the MLB.TV app tomorrow so I need to find another way to stream onto my TV. I have thought about using a Roku stick as that seems the cheapest way.

Does anyone here use Roku to watch MLB? If so which one do you use and is it any good?

Thanks in advance.

I use Roku for other streaming services, and like it. The different versions just depends on the tv you have. You'll want the ultra if you have 4k.

Do you have a smart tv? You can steam MLB.TV to a device like phone, tablet, or computer, and stream that to your tv. I've done that before.

Reactions: Clare2904

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I use Roku for other streaming services, and like it. The different versions just depends on the tv you have. You'll want the ultra if you have 4k.

Do you have a smart tv? You can steam MLB.TV to a device like phone, tablet, or computer, and stream that to your tv. I've done that before.
I don't have a 4k TV nor a smart TV. I do use the site to stream on my laptop if I am wanting to keep an eye on another game but I mainly want to watch on my TV, I'm old fashioned that way still :laugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

Which Roku do you have?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Which Roku do you have?
I have Ultra and Streaming Stick. It's really just about finding compatibility with your tv, they all function the same on a basic level, just some have more features.

If your tv doesn't have a USB slot, then I think you just need the Express+.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I have Ultra and Streaming Stick. It's really just about finding compatibility with your tv, they all function the same on a basic level, just some have more features.

If your tv doesn't have a USB slot, then I think you just need the Express+.
I have a USB slot. I just don't want one that can't handle the bandwidth, nothing worse than a freezing game.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the terwilliger house is one of xbox one and fire stick on the two living room tv's.

i'll be honest, the chromecast thing with the mlb app might be good if you have a new space age phone. i still have a note 5 (i'm an old man) and i will tell you that chromecasting a game from my phone to the tv was boiled shit last year. i got it to work exactly once and then it went to break in the 4th inning and never came back. for all i know that game's still between the top and bottom of the 4th inning.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
a fire stick is amazon's streaming device. we got one for free for being like the 5th member of prime or something. it's the same as a roku, it corrals all of your streaming services in one place with one remote. you download the netflix app, the hulu app, etc. and then select them from that menu.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
a fire stick is amazon's streaming device. we got one for free for being like the 5th member of prime or something. it's the same as a roku, it corrals all of your streaming services in one place with one remote. you download the netflix app, the hulu app, etc. and then select them from that menu.
Don't have Amazon prime etc but I'll look at that. Not sure it work in Canada.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
To put it simply, you can use Roku, Amazon firestick, and Apple tv, those are the main 3 that I'd look at. Chromecast could be an option.

Other option would be HDMI from laptop to TV. I've done that before, it's cheaper, but a little less convenient.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
So I don't put the stick directly into the slot on the tv?

Does the Roku/Fire stick use the usb slot or the HDMI? If I need to use the HDMI slot then it will mean disconnecting the Bluray player each time.

Also,just got my renewal email from MLB.TV. $99 with the loyalty discount and free At Bat App.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So I don't put the stick directly into the slot on the tv?

Does the Roku/Fire stick use the usb slot or the HDMI? If I need to use the HDMI slot then it will mean disconnecting the Bluray player each time.

Also,just got my renewal email from MLB.TV. $99 with the loyalty discount and free At Bat App.

A1PydGT%2BqHL._SX425_.jpg

You can see two connections. The Stick/Roku itself will go into the HDMI port on your TV. But the devices also need power. You can use a USB port on your TV for power (I haven't had any issues) but that other poster suggested to use Wall power instead of USB power from the TV. The firestick comes with a wall adapter so you can plug into the wall instead of USB if you prefer that or don't have USB port on your TV.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
A1PydGT%2BqHL._SX425_.jpg

You can see two connections. The Stick/Roku itself will go into the HDMI port on your TV. But the devices also need power. You can use a USB port on your TV for power (I haven't had any issues) but that other poster suggested to use Wall power instead of USB power from the TV. The firestick comes with a wall adapter so you can plug into the wall instead of USB if you prefer that or don't have USB port on your TV.
Bloody marvellous, thank you. I have a spare plug next to the TV so would use as the power source.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->