OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
yeah i'm not against him taking his QO. I preferred not to sign him long term really.

But my comment was more about how he's viewed in general. He was hyped up big time when he was traded here but I just haven't seen it. He doesn't go deep in games, he puts a lot of guys on base, and he's not a great strikeout pitcher.

Again, not upset about the QO. Just more underwhelmed by him in general

I hear what your saying about Stroman as he is slighty overrated and he certainly underwhelmed in his short time in the rotation here.

He was effective tho in Toronto and so if he could just be a reasonable facsimile of what he was there, here as a back of the rotation arm where he's going against most of the time our oppositions 3rd or 4th starters, that would be THE perfect role for him and I think most of us would be happy with the productivity he would provide.

I would anticipate as well that our bullpen will be beefed up again so that when Stroman needs to come out after 5-6 innings which is most of the time, we should be able to compensate for that.

Bottom line....let's get Bauer and Stroman will be put in the best place to succeed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I hear what your saying about Stroman as he is slighty overrated and he certainly underwhelmed in his short time in the rotation here.

He was effective tho in Toronto and so if he could just be a reasonable facsimile of what he was there, here as a back of the rotation arm where he's going against most of the time our oppositions 3rd or 4th starters, that would be THE perfect role for him and I think most of us would be happy with the productivity he would provide.

I would anticipate as well that our bullpen will be beefed up again so that when Stroman needs to come out after 5-6 innings which is most of the time, we should be able to compensate for that.

Bottom line....let's get Bauer and Stroman will be put in the best place to succeed.
Stroman is as likely to go 7 as he is 5. In his last three full seasons he averaged 196 IP and just over 6 innings per start. He also averaged 6 per start as a rookie. If he's healthy he's an innings eater since he pitches to so much contact.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, ATL

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Jake Odorizzi is another one I'd be good with. Assuming he's not looking for a long term deal. Hard to tell what these guys are going to be seeking with the market so thrown off.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
While I expect the Mets to be active in free agency, I believe they will be more active on the trade front. They talked about upgrading their defense. Can't do that unless some pieces are moved out to make room. Lindor solves a lot of those issues at SS. He'd be my primary target.

If the Indians are looking for an OF, I think Nimmo is the kind of player they would like as a piece. He's not a CF and the corners for the Mets are pretty locked in once Conforto is re-upped and having the likes of either McNeil or JD Davis in LF. Rosario is still young and controllable. Gotten better each year. I think a package around those two, with other pieces, could be what lands him.

We also don't know the full landscape of who is available in a deal, as teams are looking to cut costs. Might be able to get a good player on the cheap side of assets since they cannot afford to keep them around. For the first time since I can remember, the Mets can take advantage of the market since they have the money to do it and some attractive younger pieces that are MLB players that other teams could really use on the cheaper end.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, ATL
I'm disappointed. He's 10th in post-1900 2B WAR and his first positive test was for a diuretic or masking agent. Before today he still had a chance of being a HoFer.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

If he continued to perform as he did this season, he could have been helpful next year. We could have even absorbed salary and flipped him to a DH-needy team (assuming universal DH stays). He was genuinely excellent last year.

Otherwise, good, money temporarily freed up, clears up a big of a logjam at the 2B/1B/DH spots, as well.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
What a f***ing idiot. Either way, $24M freed up and now can be in on some other players.

Maybe there is some guy that was top 3 in the AL MVP race that would like to stay in the same city and possibly get a nice raise.
Seattle owes 3.75 million per year of that contract so they aren’t too unhappy.

Reactions: Joliet Jake

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
In rank of importance:

Sign Bauer
Sign Springer
Sign LeMahieu
Trade for Lindor withought giving up Dom or McNeil.

Do all that Stevie we go back to the glory days and hello 2021 World Series!!...:nod:

Get er done!!

Deleted member 23124

In rank of importance:

Sign Bauer
Sign Springer
Sign LeMahieu
Trade for Lindor withought giving up Dom or McNeil.

Do all that Stevie we go back to the glory days and hello 2021 World Series!!...:nod:

Get er done!!
For once we disagree, Max. I can agree with Springer and LeM.

I'm saying this as a long-time Tribe fan: despite his "talent", I'd stay far away from Bauer. While I like Lindor, he's not worth what they'd have to give up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There was an ESPN piece where they did a "perfect offseason" for the Mets and presented 3 different options. I liked this one the best:

Scenario No. 3: Pitching and defense
• Sign Trevor Bauer (4 years, $120 million, $30 million AAV)
• Sign Liam Hendriks (3 years, $42 million, $14 million AAV)
• Sign James McCann (2 years, $21 million, $10.5 million AAV)
• Sign Jackie Bradley Jr. (1 year, $11 million)
• Sign Kolten Wong (1 year, $10 million)

This is the pitching-and-defense scenario. Wong is the two-time reigning NL Gold Glove winner at second base while Bradley is a plus defender in center. Hendriks has been the best closer in baseball the past two seasons and allows Edwin Diaz to slide into a setup role.

The lineup would look like this:

LF Nimmo
1B Smith
RF Conforto
DH Alonso
3B McNeil
C McCann
CF Bradley
2B Wong
SS Gimenez

That's seven left-handed batters in the starting nine. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe you keep Heredia around as a right-handed outfield option, and there might be a little wiggle room in the payroll to bring in a right-handed infielder to spell Wong and Gimenez (such as Dodgers utility guy Kiké Hernández). This lineup is dependent on Smith backing up his 2020 breakout and Alonso finding at least a happy medium between 2019 and 2020, but it still projects as above average. The rotation is deGrom, Bauer, Stroman, Peterson, Lugo and eventually Syndergaard. Jeurys Familia, Dellin Betances and Chasen Shreve back up Hendriks and Diaz. The one-year deals for Wong and Bradley also leave more payroll flexibility moving forward.

I like that kind of approach. The others had Ozuna, Realmuto, LeMahieu, Springer, et al.

A perfect Mets offseason makeover: How new ownership could get them to the World Series

Reactions: East Coast Bias

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
yeah I would agree with this.

It never works out when teams just go after the 5 top FA and throw money around. Target areas of improvement.
Yep, agreed. I don't think we need to do a ton to the lineup--really it's just finding a C and CF and then figuring out what to do with all the guys we have that are somewhat redundant--Davis, Smith, Alonso, for example; Nimmo if other OFers are added; Gimenez and Rosario, plus McNeil, etc. Lots of guys who could play in multiple places, and some will likely be moved.

Again though, I don't think we need to add a ton of offense. It's more about solidifying the pitching and improving the defense (the latter of which can partly be done by putting guys in their correct positions--McNeil at 2B, Davis at 3B, Smith or Alonso as the DH, and so forth).

Reactions: zephyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad