OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
That presser was music to my ears. Talking about spending more, but building from within. Needing depth in the system. Needing the best and brightest to come to the Mets and want to be there.

On top of that, Sandy Alderson sounded and looked like someone that has had the shackles taken off of him.

Talking about improving the team defensively? Who are these guys? Talked about the dearth of pitching in the system as well. I think Sandy was not happy with what BVW did with the system demolishing the things he had built.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That presser was music to my ears. Talking about spending more, but building from within. Needing depth in the system. Needing the best and brightest to come to the Mets and want to be there.

On top of that, Sandy Alderson sounded and looked like someone that has had the shackles taken off of him.

Talking about improving the team defensively? Who are these guys? Talked about the dearth of pitching in the system as well. I think Sandy was not happy with what BVW did with the system demolishing the things he had built.

I was thinking the same thing. Sandy acquired a lot of the current core. Conforto is about to get an extension. Wheeler would have be kept if Sandy was here, and Kelenic would have gone nowhere.

Reactions: egelband

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’m actually coming around to this idea. Especially since Bauer and Cole hate each other. Perfect for the NY tabloids.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’m actually coming around to this idea. Especially since Bauer and Cole hate each other. Perfect for the NY tabloids.

I dislike him so it would be tough to swallow. If we did, I'd hope we give him his wish of just a one year deal, as for his career he's basically a 4 ERA, 2-3 WAR guy. I'm not convinced he's a lock to be elite on anything more than a 2-3 year deal. And then you're just dealing with an overpaid shithead who won't shut up, if he reverts and you have him locked up for five years or whatever.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I dislike him so it would be tough to swallow. If we did, I'd hope we give him his wish of just a one year deal, as for his career he's basically a 4 ERA, 2-3 WAR guy. I'm not convinced he's a lock to be elite on anything more than a 2-3 year deal. And then you're just dealing with an overpaid shithead who won't shut up, if he reverts and you have him locked up for five years or whatever.

He's not going to revert. His results and changes aren't a fluke. They are what they are now because he puts in more time than anyone studying baseball and experimenting and figuring out how to do things better. 2 of his last 3 seasons have been Cy Young caliber.

Reactions: egelband

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Ok well that’s a pretty strong counter argument of how it could play out. :laugh:

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's not going to revert. His results and changes aren't a fluke. They are what they are now because he puts in more time than anyone studying baseball and experimenting and figuring out how to do things better. 2 of his last 3 seasons have been Cy Young caliber.
And one of his last three was mediocre? That's fine if you think he's without risk, but I don't see it that way.

I also don't know that it's true that he puts more time in or tries new things more than anyone. I think he just tweets about himself more than anyone. But who knows.

Reactions: JCProdigy

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Stroman accepts his QO with Mets but DJ does not. I expect DJ stays with Yanks though - I've seen estimates of his contract at 4/100 but would the Yanks be bidding against themselves? How many clubs are going to be signing big contracts this offseason? Bad year to be a free agent which is probably why Stroman accepted.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Stroman coming back is a big deal. Adds to a rotation that needs that kind of an arm as a #3. Petersen hopefully can add to his rookie season and fill in the #4 spot.

Bauer would be an unreal #2 behind deGrom. If not him, maybe adding a Charlie Morton, who we know is a big game pitchers is the move. Lots of good middle of the rotation options in free agency. Same for the bullpen. Going to be nice shopping in the gourmet section this offseason.

Reactions: BlessThisMess513

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I know this is a bitof a hot take, but IMO Stroman is very overrated. He just hasn’t impressed me. He’s fine and not bad, but he’s not a difference maker.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am thrilled that Stro accepted the QO. I was NOT ready to give him a long-term deal. This is a win-win if you ask me.

I have come around on Bauer. I think that he and Jake would push each other to be better. I actually like the idea of him and Jake together since Jake isn’t a big personality.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I know this is a bitof a hot take, but IMO Stroman is very overrated. He just hasn’t impressed me. He’s fine and not bad, but he’s not a difference maker.

Stroman as the #3 and better yet as a #4 if we sign Bauer hopefully in the rotation is perfect for him as that's where he's best suited. A potential staff of deGrom, Bauer(fingers crossed), Noah and Stroman and maybe Lugo as your 5th? Say hello post season for sure and some damage done once we got there.

Seeing we aren't signing Stroman to be our #2 and likely #3 starter in the rotation...I'm all for it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Stroman as the #3 and better yet as a #4 if we sign Bauer hopefully in the rotation is perfect for him as that's where he's best suited. A potential staff of deGrom, Bauer(fingers crossed), Noah and Stroman and maybe Lugo as your 5th? Say hello post season for sure and some damage done once we got there.

Seeing we aren't signing Stroman to be our #2 and likely #3 starter in the rotation...I'm all for it.

yeah i'm not against him taking his QO. I preferred not to sign him long term really.

But my comment was more about how he's viewed in general. He was hyped up big time when he was traded here but I just haven't seen it. He doesn't go deep in games, he puts a lot of guys on base, and he's not a great strikeout pitcher.

Again, not upset about the QO. Just more underwhelmed by him in general

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
A playoff rotation of DeGrom, Bauer, and Syndergaard would be something.

The Mets can’t go into the season with Stroman as the #2 (Syndergaard won’t be back until June at the earliest). Who is out there besides Bauer? Get a #2 and move Lugo back to the pen in June.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Yankees don't have a free pass anymore. No one will care about all the World Series they won last century if the Mets start winning multiple World Series now.

Time to get to work again.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

The Mets can’t go into the season with Stroman as the #2 (Syndergaard won’t be back until June at the earliest). Who is out there besides Bauer? Get a #2 and move Lugo back to the pen in June.

There are rumors about Darvish being available if the Cubs can send out a bad contract, such as Kimbrel.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Not much behind Stroman and Bauer. Yankee castoffs like Paxton and Tanaka, Mike Minor, Morton, Odorizzi, Taijuan Walker. Kluber. Arrieta. Lester. Lots of guys that would be interesting signings as a 4/5, but not guys you'd want to count on in your three.

Sandy likes to trade, so they may try to do something there. They have ML pieces I'm sure they'd move. The Mets also look like a team that can gain value by absorbing a bad contract in a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->