OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

So we either get another year of Stroman or a pick, which is good. Happy to have Brach back in the mix, for $2M he's a good bounce-back candidate.

Betances can go kick rocks, he f***ing sucked last year and his stuff looks like it's gone.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

So we either get another year of Stroman or a pick, which is good. Happy to have Brach back in the mix, for $2M he's a good bounce-back candidate.

Betances can go kick rocks, he f***ing sucked last year and his stuff looks like it's gone.

It sure is nice that we don't have to sweat a two million option on a bounce back. If he is bad in spring they can move on and bring someone else in. The old regime has Brach around for half the season dwelling in the bullpen hoping he turns it around.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It sure is nice that we don't have to sweat a two million option on a bounce back. If he is bad in spring they can move on and bring someone else in. The old regime has Brach around for half the season dwelling in the bullpen hoping he turns it around.
Yeah. Relievers often bounce back after a down year. Usually these guys have their down years with the Mets. Maybe this time we’ll get the good side of that coin.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah. Relievers often bounce back after a down year. Usually these guys have their down years with the Mets. Maybe this time we’ll get the good side of that coin.
Yeah, and Brach was actually good last year until his final couple outings. He gave up 8 runs on the season and 6 of them came in 2 of his final 3 outings, where he failed to record an out and also walked 6 guys. He's a decent bet to give you some decent innings next year as a 6th/7th inning guy and at $2M that would be good.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, and Brach was actually good last year until his final couple outings. He gave up 8 runs on the season and 6 of them came in 2 of his final 3 outings, where he failed to record an out and also walked 6 guys. He's a decent bet to give you some decent innings next year as a 6th/7th inning guy and at $2M that would be good.
With relievers I almost prefer to get them coming off bad years. I know it’s counter-intuitive. But they’re so dang volatile.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Interesting to see, with Cohen coming in, just how dysfunctional and under-funded the front office and baseball operations departments have been.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The commitment to reverse paycuts for groundskeepers, security guards, engineers, maintenance workers effective immediately is awesome. Imagine how much of an impact that is for some families locally?? Reversing a 10/20/30% paycut

OR the $500 a month he's giving to seasonal employees till opening day.

I think I hate the Wilpons as people more than owners. Not good people. At all.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Cohen is having a Q&A on Twitter with fans asking how he can make our experiences better. One guy asked if Cohen can lift the ban from CitiField he received after writing a letter to Jeff, and showed the proof, and Cohen replied "That is amazing". I love this man already.
Edit - Found it:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cohen is having a Q&A on Twitter with fans asking how he can make our experiences better. One guy asked if Cohen can lift the ban from CitiField he received after writing a letter to Jeff, and showed the proof, and Cohen replied "That is amazing". I love this man already.
Edit - Found it:

The Mets' letterhead game needs serious work. I see the Wilpons spared no expense to look professional.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
The Mets' letterhead game needs serious work. I see the Wilpons spared no expense to look professional.

As per usual! I'm so excited to be this optimistic about a sports team other than the Rangers. Hopefully the 20s are filled with dual championship years from them both, much like the Dodgers and Lakers/Patriots and Red Sox. Except it won't be celebrated in a rinky dink parking lot or the small local boulevard.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Was reading a season wrap up for the Mets and saw that Diaz had a 1.75 ERA on the season. I had to look it up to confirm.

still walks too many guys, 14 in 25 innings, but he cut down on the hits and more importantly XBH.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Was reading a season wrap up for the Mets and saw that Diaz had a 1.75 ERA on the season. I had to look it up to confirm.

still walks too many guys, 14 in 25 innings, but he cut down on the hits and more importantly XBH.
His performance improved as he moved out of the closer role. The lower the leverage, the more dominant he was. Makes him tough to peg moving forward.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
His performance improved as he moved out of the closer role. The lower the leverage, the more dominant he was. Makes him tough to peg moving forward.

I don't have the stats in front of me but from recollection, Diaz was dominant in "stress" situations as once Lugo went into the rotation and when that occurred, I don't recall even one blown save for Diaz the rest of the way. Now I'm not saying there weren't some hairy situations he got himself into on occasion but for the most part, Diaz was en fuego last year.

It certainly looks to me like he straightened out whatever it was what ailed him and tho yes Diaz needs to cut down the walks, Diaz looked alot more like the pitcher he was in Seattle than the imposter who performed for us two years ago when the Mets first acquired him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

WbFqtUk.png

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just read an article that it was the White Sox, Reds, Diamondbacks, and Angels that voted against the sale to Cohen.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I just read an article that it was the White Sox, Reds, Diamondbacks, and Angels that voted against the sale to Cohen.

I saw the same names but didn't see any reasons behind it...there aren't many teams that spend big $$ and flex their financial muscles so I was wondering if those teams would be against it not wanting to have to bid against them. i'm not really sure why those teams care

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Edit - Found it:

That person is a poster at Mets Refugees.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Redsox are rehiring Alex Cora. Baseball has their own version of a penalty box.

I loved how they quietly dumped that news this morning, when there was a lot of other stuff going on and people were completely preoccupied.

Friday news dump x100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad