OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

He probably had a disagreement with the team at some point and said f*** it. Again, don't blame him.

As long as he isn't having some sort of mental breakdown or whatever. That would suck.

Otherwise, I assume it's just a normal function of being part of a shit franchise.

Reactions: romba

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
What would a disagreement be about? I haven't been following this season closely.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
My guess is it’s a PR move. My gut reaction is the former agent now GM wouldn’t be dumb enough to blast a statement out if he didn’t know where he was. I assume this is trying to get a leg up on a soon to be public spat.
Sounds about right. If they were truly concerned for his wellbeing then they’d be in contact with authorities or looking for him and would include that in the statement. Could be wrong, but the tone of the statement tells me they know where he is but don’t want to appear to be throwing him under the bus. They’d rather slowly ‘leak’ that sort of info so they don’t burn the bridge and can
bring him back in the mix when he’s ready.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What would a disagreement be about? I haven't been following this season closely.
Knowing the Mets, it's probably something as stupid as him wanting to play OF or something and them saying he can only DH.

I mean it could be something totally different, but it's the Mets so it will be a bunch of nonsense either way.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Surely this breaks into the Met Madness bracket but which one does it replace?

EQCP1zhWsAAKknm

Reactions: McSauer

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Okay but could he have, like, told the team first?
It's a Mets thing. Team handles is poorly, player is an idiot, everyone comes out of it looking stupid. And we the fans curse ourselves for rooting for the team.

Please sell the f***ing team, already. It's the only hope.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It's a Mets thing. Team handles is poorly, player is an idiot, everyone comes out of it looking stupid. And we the fans curse ourselves for rooting for the team.

Please sell the f***ing team, already. It's the only hope.

How did they handle it poorly? They released a statement saying he no showed for the game and they don't know why. That seems like relevant info mid game when people watching may be wondering if he is available to pinch hit at some point.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Fighting a boar with traps Home Alone style. Hitting home runs 3 games in a row over the course of 2 years. Ghosting his team 10 games into the season. I admire his chaotic energy.

There's your playing time for Dominic Smith.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I don't have a problem with the way the Mets handled this at all. Not sure what everyone is up in arms about.

Reactions: bleedblue94

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Amazing coincidence that the Mets traded for an of the same day he opted out hours before knowing he opted out

Amazing coincidence that they traded for a defensive CF 4 days after they put their defensive CF on the IL with a hamstring strain?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Amazing coincidence that the Mets traded for an of the same day he opted out hours before knowing he opted out

Mets are so incompetent they are bulletproof from reinventing ways to embarrass themselves.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How did they handle it poorly? They released a statement saying he no showed for the game and they don't know why. That seems like relevant info mid game when people watching may be wondering if he is available to pinch hit at some point.
Brodie acknowledged that they didn't know what was going on and for a period of time, they didn't know if he was okay. If they didn't know he was okay when they issued their statement, then they should have just said something like, "Yoenis is not with the team today and we will have no comment beyond that." Because if you don't know if he's okay, why make a statement that just leaves everyone else wondering? This is the type of shit you figure out before you issue statements.

And if they did know he was was okay at the time they issued their statement, why leave it so open-ended and why not say that he's okay and you'll have a statement later? What they did left a multiple-hour period where people were speculating this could be a Darryl Kile or Tyler Skaggs or something. If you know he's okay, say he's okay, because people were legitimately concerned. And if you don't know, say as little as possible until you know more.

Reactions: romba

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Brodie acknowledged that they didn't know what was going on and for a period of time, they didn't know if he was okay. If they didn't know he was okay when they issued their statement, then they should have just said something like, "Yoenis is not with the team today and we will have no comment beyond that." Because if you don't know if he's okay, why make a statement that just leaves everyone else wondering? This is the type of shit you figure out before you issue statements.

And if they did know he was was okay at the time they issued their statement, why leave it so open-ended and why not say that he's okay and you'll have a statement later? What they did left a multiple-hour period where people were speculating this could be a Darryl Kile or Tyler Skaggs or something. If you know he's okay, say he's okay, because people were legitimately concerned. And if you don't know, say as little as possible until you know more.

It would have been the same speculation regardless unless they lied and said he was hurt.

Reactions: Krams

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It would have been the same speculation regardless unless they lied and said he was hurt.
Totally disagree. What they said was "We don't know anything about where he is and we haven't heard from him. We know nothing." Of course speculation will happen but that's basically saying "Who the f*** knows?" There's no need to make any statement until you know the facts (or more facts), and if you must make a statement there's no need to make it so mysterious. Had they waited a couple hours it all could have been avoided.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

Disagree. Was clear to me immediately after the first statement that this was not a Kile/Skaggs situation, they were on the road and should have been obvious to everyone they had checked his hotel room and with hotel staff. Had it, god forbid, been in this vein they obviously would've waited until after the game to make a statement. Nothing wrong with updating fans that he did not report to the ballpark and then clarifying after speaking with the agent that he was safe. I don't understand taking offense with anyone other than Ces here.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Disagree. Was clear to me immediately after the first statement that this was not a Kile/Skaggs situation, they were on the road and should have been obvious to everyone they had checked his hotel room and with hotel staff. Had it, god forbid, been in this vein they obviously would've waited until after the game to make a statement. Nothing wrong with updating fans that he did not report to the ballpark and then clarifying after speaking with the agent that he was safe. I don't understand taking offense with anyone other than Ces here.
Nah. If you don't know what's going on, why even say anything at all until after the game when you hopefully know more? Had they said nothing and he just wasn't there, people would have just said "Oh it must be COVID!" or something at worst. If you have no facts to offer there's no reason to say anything.

Wait until after the game. At that point you can say what you know, what you don't know, etc. And had they done that it would have been an easy presser without the hours of drama that preceded it.

It was a rushed statement that didn't even need to be made.

I don't "take offense" to any of this. I just think the Mets generally handle situations poorly and could have handled this one better. I'm about three losses away from tuning out, anyway.

Whatever, just glad he's safe because that wasn't immediately clear (as Brodie acknowledged). He was fun while he was healthy.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The Mets are very image conscience and it shows. Ppl were probably @-ing Brodie and the Mets on twitter asking where’s Ces and he wanted to make it clear it wasn’t a Mets decision, so don’t blame the Team. Should have just said ‘I’ve been told he’s unavailable today, more info when we receive it’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->